Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell 7390 2-1
CPU
i7-8650U
Graphics
UHD 620
I have no idea why, but I have lost the ability to use my onboard LAN (Realtek 8111E) on my MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) board. I had to reset my CMOS due to bad RAM chip but that is the only thing I have changed. I was running 10.7.3 just fine, and the LAN works in Win7.

I just don't get why single-user mode is doing that standard boot is not?

Things I have done:
Reinstalled next from MultiBeast.
Confirmed EthernetBuIltIn is yes.
Deleted profiles and deleted NetworkInterfaces.plist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Update: If you have HandsOff installed, uninstall it. I am attempting a reinstall to see if its the actual program or just a bad update.

Re: Realtek 8111E suddenly only works in SU Mode

Hm, strange, I'm having similiar issues.
I've bought a HD6450 card on friday and messed around with the kexts, bottlist etc, but everything worked for a few reboots, then i went to win7 to do a few stress tests to check the heat generated by the new passive card. In the morning I tried to boot back to 10.7.2, but always got stucked after the realtek drivers loaded.
Tried to boot with -x or -s, every kind of boot strings, but only rBoot helped me out. Only with -s booting into single user mode and from there exit and boot to system, everything works this way, but kinda strange. However this made me to finally prepare a spare drive and start experimenting with building my own dsdt and now that install with 10.7.3 seems stable, working sleep and speedstep at last. :)
Tried to use the new dsdt and "knowledge" on the problematic install but didn't help. Maybe it have nothing to do with your issue but who knows.
I will try to experiment with this during the week and check back.

So one thing I notice is when I boot under verbose, I never see my ethernet card get recognized.

However, the second I type exit is single user, the next line is
Code:
[RealtekRTL81xx:init] RealtekRTL81xx.kext v0.0.90 (c)2010-2011 by Lnx2Mac ([email protected])
com_lnx2mac_realtekRTL81xx: Ethernet address XX....

What is SU doing that standard boot is not????

It's weird, I have a Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H motherboard with the RT8111E and am having the same problems. When I updated from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3, it stopped being recognized. Now I am using a Wireless N USB Adaptor, but what is really weird is that it starts working when install their drivers, you should try them out. http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/license.php?sn=5004
This is the only way I have found to fix the problem.

NiemannXX said:
It's weird, I have a Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H motherboard with the RT8111E and am having the same problems. When I updated from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3, it stopped being recognized. Now I am using a Wireless N USB Adaptor, but what is really weird is that it starts working when install their drivers, you should try them out. http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/license.php?sn=5004
This is the only way I have found to fix the problem.

Well unfortunately that didn't do it. However, you made me think and I took a second look at what was booting. I noticed an extension from HandsOff (firewall software) that was interfering with my startup. I also noticed that HandsOff is turned off when you boot in SU mode. So while your direct advice didn't solve my issue, it would have taken me much longer to find the issue. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back