Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys.

A few days ago, i successfully upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra, everything was working beautifully.

Now, I just booted and all I did was

- reinstall Little Snitch
- had the Photos app reindex the database

Then suddenly my hackintosh rebootet, but like a snap, Boom, screens black, like i pressed the reset Button.

Now everytime I login, the same happens. I have about 10-20 seconds before the reset happens again. :(

How can I find out the culprit and get rid of it?

Tried safe mode already, same behaviour.

When I sit at the login prompt and dont enter my password, nothing happens. Also I can boot Win10 normally.

Please, any help is really appreciated!!

Me again:

So, I wiped the disk, reinstalled a fresh Sierra installation, set up everything and it was working really really well and stable.

UNTIL -- I opened the Photos.app and connected my iCloud media database. It would load images for 3-4 minutes, and then, boom, sudden restart of the PC (no shutdown, just like someone hit the reset button).
From then on, now everytime I log in, again, after 10-20 seconds, the PC will shut down again.

I tried to disconnect the iCloud media database, tried to shutdown Photos.app, but it would shutdown again and again.

Then I logged in with the guest account. No problems whatsoever. Until I tried to recreate the scenario, so I opened up the Photos.app on the guest account, connected my iCloud media database to it, let it run for 4-5 minutes, and again the PC would shut down immediately.
Since the guest accounts forgets all this information after a reboot, I could log into it again after the reboot, and it's running now for 30 minutes without a problem.

Now:

• How can I get my main account back working again?
  • Where are log files / stack traces / kernel dumps which may help to identify the problem?
  • How can I use the Photos.app in the future, without bricking my install and having to re-install (or probably creating a new user account will probably suffice)

I REALLY hope for your expert input here. I am a developer, but this is too in-depth for my understanding of the OS X system.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe it is related to this.

Okay, so I narrowed it down even more.

It's definitely some service that has to do with the Photos library.

I just deleted my whole Photos Library in /Pictures and was able to log in to my main account, without any crash / reboot.
So the error comes from a service, that indexes / scans / processes the files inside the Photos Library.

Is there any way to go from here? Or could I maybe just use the Photos.app from El Capitan? If yes, how?

Again, any help is appreciated, I DO want to use the Photos app, so just avoiding is not really an option...

Thanks in advance again guys

I worked on a clients MacBook Pro a while ago and it would crash when running the Photos App in Sierra. I had her go through Apple for repairs and it turned out to be a defective graphics problem. My 2 cents.....

I never had any issues on El Capitan, and I can model in Maya, game-develop in Unity and game on high settings in Win10 without a problem, so I think I would rule a defective graphics card out.

Is there any way to look at certain log files, to see what may have caused these crashes? Or anything else?

Is there any way to look at certain log files, to see what may have caused these crashes? Or anything else?
Code:
$ log stream > ~/crash.log
alternatively
Code:
$ log stream > /Volumes/MYUSBFLASHDRIVE/crash.log
then wait and see if your reboot happens. While you are waiting you could check
Code:
$ pmset -g log | grep -i failure
Also think I see your board has Renesas USB 3.0, if you have installed drivers from El Capitan days you should probably remove them. And disable the ports in firmware settings.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply!

I will check the log files / stream the log to my thumbdrive, once I get back home from work - awesome tips, thanks!

Could you elaborate on the USB 3.0 issue? I do not use any El Capitan drivers, it's a completely fresh installation at the moment.

Thank you for your reply!

I will check the log files / stream the log to my thumbdrive, once I get back home from work - awesome tips, thanks!

Could you elaborate on the USB 3.0 issue? I do not use any El Capitan drivers, it's a completely fresh installation at the moment.
Any third party kexts you may have installed to get third-party/generic USB 3.0 working. If there are none then no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back