Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 7970 x2
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Everything was working great for at least a year- imac, 17.1- 10.11.6- El cap - Gigabyte z170 ud5-th, Nvidia 980ti, i5 6600k, thunderbolt, usb ports, gpu, cuda, audio etc....working amazingly so thank you for all the work everyone here does - editing 4k video with 3 monitors and no significant issues other than I never got around to fixing sleep issues and I hope someday to be able to hotswap thunderbolt devices, but only a small hassle to have to reboot. Anyways...

Power went out while the computer was running and now when I boot, I'm getting a kernel panic. Won't boot into safe mode, recovery disk, single user mode or without loading caches or kexts. I'm pretty sure it is not the bios as my backup disk boots fine. The only problem is that I was scheduled to backup soon, thus it is not up to date; so I'd like to recover the main system drive if there is a simple fix.

Gets stuck every time in verbose at system uptime in nanoseconds screen (attached to this post). I tried replacing (after backing up the original) the contents of the EFI folder from the working backup to see if something had gotten corrupted in there to no avail. I have a secondary macbook pro that I can use to mount the disk and can see that the disk is functional. I have disk utility and disk warrior on the macbook pro if they could help, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions? Worst case I can clone the backup disk back to the main system disk after backing up the files I need; but will have to spend some time to fix audio again, and update GPU power management, and reinstall several applications. Not dead in the water, just looking for the path of least resistance. Thanks in advance to anyone who has any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG-5534.JPG
    IMG-5534.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 831
Thanks in advance to anyone who has any suggestions.
Remove AppleIntelInfo.kext. It is causing panic.
(you should have never installed it, AppleIntelInfo.kext README calls for using kextload/kextunload).

Remove AppleIntelInfo.kext. It is causing panic.
(you should have never installed it, AppleIntelInfo.kext README calls for using kextload/kextunload).

I'm looking in the clover/kexts/other folder and don't see it in there. I can mount the volume on another computer, but I'd need some advice to find the file if I were to try to unload it via terminal since I don't know where it is currently installed.

I can mount the volume on another computer, but I'd need some advice to find the file if I were to try to unload it via terminal since I don't know where it is currently installed.
Try to boot into safe mode (-x) and/or without caches (-f) in Clover and remove the kext.
To boot into Safe Mode: At Clover Boot Screen press space bar and select Safe Mode (-x)
To boot without caches: At Clover Boot Screen select Options and add -f UseKernelCache=No to Boot Args

Check /Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions for AppleIntelInfo.kext

Try to boot into safe mode (-x) and/or without caches (-f) in Clover and remove the kext.
To boot into Safe Mode: At Clover Boot Screen press space bar and select Safe Mode (-x)
To boot without caches: At Clover Boot Screen select Options and add -f UseKernelCache=No to Boot Args

Check /Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions for AppleIntelInfo.kext

Brebo, immense thanks for the assistance.

I found the kext in /System/Library/Extensions and deleted it when mounting the drive as an external on my laptop. Now it gets a lot further in the boot process but is getting stuck right at the end. New screenshot of the verbose mode attached. Safe mode not getting all the way through either.

Attachments

• IMG-5544.PNG
    IMG-5544.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 335
New screenshot of the verbose mode attached. Safe mode not getting all the way through either.
Do you have iGPU enabled?
Add -disablegfxfirmware to your Boot Arguments

Do you have iGPU enabled?
Add -disablegfxfirmware to your Boot Arguments

You are awesome! That solved the issue! Huge thanks! I suppose while I'm here, I'll ask if what update route you'd suggest if I did want to jump from El Cap to High Sierra? Time machine + fresh install using the guides listed here or? I see that there is a path to go from Sierra to High Sierra but that does not seem to be the case for El Cap to Sierra. In any case, backing up now and elated to have fixed the issue so simply. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back