Contribute
Register

[SOLVED]PCI-E memory bandwidth problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Djarum02 said:
hackintosh1997 said:
so wait. let me get this straight. you have a 550ti on the first pcie slot and a wifi card in the second pcie slot? if so, then the x16 bandwidth will be shared and become x8 and x8 for both. that cannot be changed.

No the WiFi card is like in the 5th or 6th slot at the bottom.

I will try to disable usb 3.0 and see if that fixes it. bbiab.

yes, I know if you count it's the 5th or 6th slot, but is it the second long 16x slot?

hackintosh1997 said:
SG- said:
i also remember hearing that if USB3 in bios was set to turbo mode or something (there should be an option in the BIOS) that it might cut down your PCIE bandwidth in half on Gigabyte Z68 boards.

really? I've got USB 3.0 enabled, it works, and i still have PCIE16x. I never heard of that, but I can't confirm that it's false though. one thing is, USB 3.0 on most boards (aside from z77) should be running from a third party chipset, the EJ168 in my case. I don't think that this has to do with the PCIE16X bandwidths. I could be wrong though. we learn everyday :thumbup:

It only happens if you have the Turbo mode function turned on, not if you just have USB3 on.

SG- said:
hackintosh1997 said:
[quote="SG-":1fzml1r7]i also remember hearing that if USB3 in bios was set to turbo mode or something (there should be an option in the BIOS) that it might cut down your PCIE bandwidth in half on Gigabyte Z68 boards.

really? I've got USB 3.0 enabled, it works, and i still have PCIE16x. I never heard of that, but I can't confirm that it's false though. one thing is, USB 3.0 on most boards (aside from z77) should be running from a third party chipset, the EJ168 in my case. I don't think that this has to do with the PCIE16X bandwidths. I could be wrong though. we learn everyday :thumbup:

It only happens if you have the Turbo mode function turned on, not if you just have USB3 on.[/quote:1fzml1r7]

HMM, that's even more odd, because I have a turbo overclock to 4.8GHz, with all speedstep and power saving features on, and with USB3.0, and it still works. increasing the base clock so that it is 100MHz is the only way that got 16x to work for me. the base clock for the sandy bridge platform is the basis to everything, CPU, memory, PCIe bandwidth, even HDD. that's why baseclock overclocking is not recommended.

hackintosh1997 said:
Djarum02 said:
hackintosh1997 said:
so wait. let me get this straight. you have a 550ti on the first pcie slot and a wifi card in the second pcie slot? if so, then the x16 bandwidth will be shared and become x8 and x8 for both. that cannot be changed.

No the WiFi card is like in the 5th or 6th slot at the bottom.

I will try to disable usb 3.0 and see if that fixes it. bbiab.

yes, I know if you count it's the 5th or 6th slot, but is it the second long 16x slot?
BTW, try putting your wifi card in the very top 1x slot (if you can fit it there...)

hackintosh1997 said:
BTW, try putting your wifi card in the very top 1x slot (if you can fit it there...)[/quote]

I'd have to change the way my fan is... And I would have to make it flow air down into my case instead of out. But at this point anything is worth it to see if it will fix the issue. Had a random BIOS crash because my power went out at my house like 5 times and the BIOS reset. My sound stopped working so I need to fix that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back