Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
FoxConn AT-7330
CPU
i3-3227u
Graphics
HD4000
Hi to all.

I have a Pavillion x360 13.3" up and running beautifully on El Capitan. When attempting dual boot with Windows I discovered the BIOS is really annoying! It will only boot from Windows boot manager when present and will not allow me to specify a path in boot priorities even though the option appears to be there. Unless F9 and boot from EFI file and select Clover Bootx64... No boot clover. Of course removing Microsoft file from EFI allows Clover to boot without any issues but it would be nice not to have to faff.

Can anyone tell me of a workaround?.... A way to hide Windows boot manager from the BIOS but have Clover see it?

Any replies are much appreciated.
Cheers

Pavilion x360 Dual boot - BIOS Only Sees Windows Boot Manager

Hi to all.

I have a Pavillion x360 13.3" up and running beautifully on El Capitan. When attempting dual boot with Windows I discovered the BIOS is really annoying! It will only boot from Windows boot manager when present and will not allow me to specify a path in boot priorities even though the option appears to be there. Unless F9 and boot from EFI file and select Clover Bootx64... No boot clover. Of course removing Microsoft file from EFI allows Clover to boot without any issues but it would be nice not to have to faff.

Can anyone tell me of a workaround?.... A way to hide Windows boot manager from the BIOS but have Clover see it?

Any replies are much appreciated.
Cheers

Keep in mind that UEFI boot entries use backslash, not forward slash.

See guide post #2 (it has details on Linux efibootmgr): http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

Keep in mind that UEFI boot entries use backslash, not forward slash.

See guide post #2 (it has details on Linux efibootmgr): http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

Ah yes, I forgot about renaming to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

I didn't know about the linux method at all. I have had problems with Debian booting with Clover before, what's the best Linux Distro to use?

Ah yes, I forgot about renaming to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

I didn't know about the linux method at all. I have had problems with Debian booting with Clover before, what's the best Linux Distro to use?

I'm don't really use Linux (except for these kind of things...). I use Ubuntu booted from USB.

I'm don't really use Linux (except for these kind of things...). I use Ubuntu booted from USB.

Ok sweet! Spot on man thanks I'll have a crack at it.

Hi, sweet. It worked!!

But
I had to install efibootmgr first with
sudo apt-get install efibootmgr
and change "\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI" (as in your guide) to '\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI'

Anyway, a success thanks to you!

Hi, sweet. It worked!!

But
I had to install efibootmgr first with
sudo apt-get install efibootmgr
and change "\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI" (in your guide) '\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI'

Anyway, a success thanks to you!

Marked solved.

Hmm, interestingly though it seems to alternate between Win and Clover one for one.
Any ideas?

Hmm, interestingly though it seems to alternate between Win and Clover one for one.
Any ideas?

No idea what you mean by that.

Better questions yield better answers.

No idea what you mean by that.

Better questions yield better answers.

Oh...Sorry. The BIOS seems to change boot orders like this:
Turn on, Clover boots first.
Restart or shutdown or hard reset.
Turn back on, the BIOS boots directly into Windows.
Restart, shutdown or hard reset.
Turn back on, the BIOS boot Clover again.

The BIOS will alternate between boot orders like that without fail. Whatever it booted into last time, it will boot into the other on the next startup. Windows one time, Clover next, Windows next, Clover next.... etc.

I briefly looked at fallbackefi last night. I'll investigate later but I wonder if you may have a solution to offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back