Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I updated my board to the latest bios version 1408 today which was released 04/08/10 and it broke my install of OSX. Not only that, I cannot boot from iBOOT or the previous asus boot cd that I used to install the first time. I suggest that you don't upgrade to this bios if you want to ensure that your existing system will run!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 501
Re: P7P55D BIOS UPDATE 1408 - READ!!!!!

When you flash bios you also need to reconfigure everything.

Select boot from cd as boot priority 1 etc...

This is one of those base rules for running a hackintosh.

1. Always have a backup. Backup your OS and backup your motherboard BIOS.
2. Unless you want to play pioneer / developer never, never, ever update anything until one of the community devs / pioneers has done it and either pronounced it safe and/or posted a how to for any work around you might need.

More than likely you just need to go into your bios setup and run optimize defaults and reset the various settings back to where they should be (bios updates almost always reset the bios to default factory settings).

Unlike windows there's no need or benefit to grabbing every update you can on an OSX system. If your system is stable don't mess with it unless tony or another respected dev tells you there is some benefit to be gained. Unlike windows we aren't racing script kiddies to plug a zillion security leaks or fix buggy hardware drivers.

Yeah, I understand, however I was tempted because the update now allows for usb 3.0 compatibility for windows, so I'm gonna try to recheck my bios settings again, however, I didn't change much except for the IDE settings to AHCI.

update:
I rechecked my bios settings and all I did was change the IDE settings.
I reburned the asusbootcd that I used originally.... that didn't work..
I tried tony's iBOOT cd burn and that didn't work....

idk, I have a feeling asus is trying to fudge things up with this bios update for hackintosh users....I don't understand why I can't boot from these CDs that I was able to boot from before when trying to boot from them...

This really sucks...

Anyone else update their bios to 1408 and have this work?

OK everyone, I found a solution to this problem!!!!!

Since I am dual booting with win7 on the same HD, I rebooted with the win7 disk and got to the screen where it asks what HD that you want to install to. I noticed a small partition labeled EFI which was about 200 mb; I believe this is a partition created by OSX on the hard drive when installing SL for booting purposes. I saw another small partition which was about the same size which I think was an essential file partition when win7 was installed.

In any case, in this screen I chose to delete all of these little partitions and also deleted my win7 install partition completely as well as my OSX partition which were on the same hard drive, canceled the install after doing this and rebooted with the tonymac asus boot disk I had originally used. Lo and behold, I was able to load the boot loader with no ebios error after restart and was able to reinstall OSX again!!!! Great success!

The next task is to see whether or not I can reinstall win7 and dual boot again without the ebios error. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Moral of this story, if you're system is running stable, don't mess with it unless you're willing to go thru crap like this! This confirms that bios version 1408 does work with SL.

Question to any of the ASUS P7P55D board users with LG optical drives:

Have any of you updated your bios to 1408 and if so, if you reboot OSX does your Sata DVD drive disappear from your devices unless you power off and on completely and then it appears on boot?

I get that if I reboot, I won't see my Sata dvd drive unless I power down completely and power back on and boot to desktop, then if I reboot, it's gone again unless I power down. All my Sata hard drives show up except the DVD when I reboot.

Hi beelzebozo

Could you tell me what is the exact bios setup that you use in order to install cause I can't reinstall even if I use a new hard drive with the setup described in my signature with the new bios

Thanks in advance

On the Main Tab in the bios, go to storage information and configure SATA as AHCI.

That should be good enough for OSX to recognize your SATA drives and that's pretty much it as far as bios set up for installation.

Also, what bios version are you on? Before anything, you should at least update to version 1307.

Hi,

I'm on the same bios than you 14.08 . I also set to AHCI. I was on the 10 before and it worked! I upgraded since it didn't worked but it sill doesn't even with this upgrade.

I have this message as you can see on the pic.

Thanks for answering

:

Attachments

• P1010691.JPG
    P1010691.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 415
Well, it's not clear what your steps were for installing SL. You need to provide a little bit more information because at this point I don't know what else to suggest.

What method did you use to install? (iboot, usb method) Did you use multibeast? etc...

It looks to me like your installation didn't work because you're missing the necessary kext files to load OSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back