SOLVED - P55A-UD4 + GTX260: Boot CD stops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: P55A-UD4 + GTX260: Boot CD stops

wlp5 said:
This error
- EBIOS read error: Device timeout
- Block 0x0 Sectors 0

when switching cds is when the drive hasn't read the disk yet, wait a few secs after putting in the install cd before pressing f5. If you get it on the bootcd itself, it means the disk is not readable, burn it again at a low speed.

I feel like hijacking this topic for my problem, so if anyone is offended I'll open a new one.
I get the error even when there is no cd/dvd in my drive. Could it also be related to a harddrive problem that my harddrive isn't ready to be read or up to speed?

Just solved my problem bellow:
- Block 0x0 Sectors 0

Doing some searching on AHCI I realized that I was trying to install on an old SATA drive & it seems that early SATA drives sometimes did not support "native command queuing"
=> I tried switching to a more recent SATA drive & it indeed solved the problem: I no longer get the errors & my HDD is now recognized by Chameleon :)

I haven't fully completed the next steps => will report later if everything else is OK but I thought I would already share this since ikbenfrank seems to be having similar symptoms

Almost there but not quiet:

I went twice through the whole process of steps 1-4 of retail DVD installation process.
When I get to rebooting after installation of the 10.6.2 update, the HDD-based Chameleon boot is OK, but then Mac OS X boot fails, getting stuck with "still waiting for root device" error message. I used Jocelyn84 GTX260 .ISO posted higher in this thread, not sure what's the different vs. Tonymac's for n260 + P55A-UD4 DSDT ?

I uploaded a screenshot at http://www.mediafire.com/?m5nylntzzzz

Any idea re where I might have gone wrong most welcome - Thanks !

Reboot using -x (safe mode), then repair permissions using Disk Utility and reboot again. Good luck!

Bern said:
Just solved my problem bellow:
- Block 0x0 Sectors 0

Doing some searching on AHCI I realized that I was trying to install on an old SATA drive & it seems that early SATA drives sometimes did not support "native command queuing"
=> I tried switching to a more recent SATA drive & it indeed solved the problem: I no longer get the errors & my HDD is now recognized by Chameleon :)

I haven't fully completed the next steps => will report later if everything else is OK but I thought I would already share this since ikbenfrank seems to be having similar symptoms

I thought of that problem too but I have two drives, WD5000AAKS (aka Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB cache). They support NCQ and I have them in AHCI.
Can the problem also lie in the DVD-drive or that it's not AHCI-compliant(it does show up in the AHCI startup window)?

Booting in safe mode + repairing permissions (from the install CD disk utility) didn't work

So I went through a third installation, this time copying the boot & Extra from Tonymac nv260 .ISO & using the P55-UD4P DSDT.aml (not sure if the P55A-UD4 for my motherboard is now OK ?).

This time the installation process went smoothly, at least I can reboot into Mac OS X 10.6.2 ! :)

BUT Somehow changing the display resolution into anything else than 1024x768 doesn't work so far. Any idea ? Thanks !

OK I got my Gainward GTX 260 Graphics card working with QE/CI enabled :)
Given all the trials I can't report for sure what made it work (first hackintosh -> learning the basics through the process -> might have been doing some stupid mistakes)

Now I am trying to get network + audio to work. Once I get these to work I will try to restart from scratch with a new install on a separate test partition & report in the post-installation section if I had any special things to do vs. standard instructions

Thanks for your instructions & help so far ! I'm alsmost there ... !!!

OK I got ethernet working

Remaining two issues are:
1) Audio not working using ALC889a kext as legacy HDA & the AppleHDA from 10.6.1 despite trying several times... Is it supposed to work with the provided P55A-UD4 DSDT or am I supposed to edit it ? Did anybody manage to get the P55A-UD4 working this way ?

2) Sleep/suspend works OK but it doesn't wake-up from suspend. I did enable it in the BIOS but it looks like at least my mouse is not powered after suspend => not surprised that keyboard + mouse can't wake it up. Is there something special to do to get the wake-up to work ?

Any hints / help most welcome - THANKS !!!!

EDIT: Everything now works except wake-up from sleep - anybody facing similar issues mnetionned in this thread can see what worked for me at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=152

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back