Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you can install Lightroom (for stills) or there's an alternative called dark table http://www.darktable.org/

Video wise I will also await the response of someone who's actually running a setup currently, I know older adobe apps via wine is possible, unsure about newer versions however.

^^ switch to Premiere, best decision I made regarding video
Fair enough on the Windows though, I can't stand it, but seeing the direction they're heading with the Surface Studio It is possible they will finally fix their Eco system in the near future. Alternatively we could just jump over to Ubuntu like many have mentioned already.

As someone that has been using Apple machines for almost 30years, the current models, market focus and general attitude is the most boring and uninspired I've seen.

If they stop updating drivers for 900 series in the next macOS I don't really care because it'll most likely come with changes that only affect that stupid touchbar on the mbp so I won't update anyway.

I'd love to switch.... But selecting multiple clips from a single file is annoying in Premiere. Thr scrub and selecting in and out points just goes quicker in FCPX.

As soon as they fix that or i find something to fix that (gopro quik/slice come close) i'll abandon fcp x and OSX

Looks like you can install Lightroom (for stills) or there's an alternative called dark table http://www.darktable.org/

Video wise I will also await the response of someone who's actually running a setup currently, I know older adobe apps via wine is possible, unsure about newer versions however.

A very good open source video editor for Linux machines is Kdenlive. It's the one I'm using after having switched from MacOS (FCP) to Kubuntu and it's great

So.... it's really looking like there will never be Pascal Mac drivers, isn't it? :( :( :(

So.... it's really looking like there will never be Pascal Mac drivers, isn't it? :( :( :(
Never say never, but I guess if Apple won't actually use Pascal in their next lineup of desktops this year, the chance seems to be really slim.

I'm tired of waiting for pascal drivers, so I just installed my old gtx 770 on pcie slot 1, and my gtx 1080 on the second slot and it's working flawlessly. No fps performance impact with the gtx 1080 running at 8x on the second slot in Windows 10, and I don't have to do weird things to boot into OS X(I didn't even touch my bios). I'm still on Mavericks BTW but it should work on Sierra as well.

ah man, I have been meaning to get OSX installed on my PC so I could code more efficiently at home; Unfortunately (or fortunately) I upgraded my 970gtx to a 1080gtx this weekend and did some research on finally getting OSX but looks like we are here lol

Must try this as I switched for everything else. I don't use KDE so I held off looking at it.

A very good open source video editor for Linux machines is Kdenlive. It's the one I'm using after having switched from MacOS (FCP) to Kubuntu and it's great

Hmm, interesting. This might be worth a try. I also noticed this: https://www.******.com/r/linuxmaste..._passthrough_or_how_to_play_any_game_at_near/ which basically means you can run a VM and have direct access to the GPU hardware.. Which means, in theory, you can game via a VM

Now I am getting interested..

J

If Apple doesn't drop them in a Sierra update is it really that unlikely that we'd get drivers from Apple or Nvidia within the next year or two? Seems like Nvidia may have an interest in doing it.

I really know practically nothing about AMD let alone how the Vega architecture compares to Pascal, but would we ever see Vega drivers for Mac if were never getting Pascal ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back