Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god... Just get 2x 980/980Ti and do a cleaner job, and enjoy monster performance in SLI in Windows without having to install useless different cards. This way you get performance and compatibility in MacOS and extreme performance in Windows without having to build a horrible patchwork of cards.
A 1060 or 1070 is much cheaper than a 980 and much more cheaper than a SLI setup. Useless comment.

Used 980's sell for ~220-250€ here, 980Ti's start at barely more than 300€, which is quite good compared to 1060/1070 retail prices. Personally I wouldn't bother with Pascal unless I really needed a 1080 or TitanX-level of performance.

How long has it taken for nvidia to bring there drivers out in the past? I feel like this is taking an unreasonably long time.

Okay, that's odd. My Intel Inject for Intel HD 530 works fine. But it's not the cleanest solution having two cables directing into a single display. But it works for me without unplugging cables.
Could you explain what bootflags do you use to disable your graphics card and use the iGPU? I guess you do this to change between windows and mac os right? I have the same CPU and I'm planning to buy a 1050ti for windows and just use the HD530 on mac os until Nvidia releases support for this new cards, and if they don't, I'm fine with this setup, still a bit loss on this, so I would really appreciate some help!

A 1060 or 1070 is much cheaper than a 980 and much more cheaper than a SLI setup. Useless comment.

How is it useless if pascal cards do not work? Keeping a working and a non working card in the same PC for the sake of what? Of spending $50-100 less? Come on!

980 Ti gains atttraction on the used market. On ebay cards are being sold price wise on par with nearly no difference to a 1070 GTX.
I got hold one until support for Pascal kicks in.

How much performance would that buy me as compared to an Asus Strix GTX 970? I'm already starting to hit the limits of the 970 -- it's amazing how quickly you get used to Ultra graphics quality and how depressing it would be to turn it down even a little :(

and while we're musing on upgrade paths...

from what I read it sounds like there is no hope for SLI (ganging 2 NVIDIA cards together) under OSX, like ever, period, no way.

is this the case? 'cos if NVIDIA never gives us 10xx drivers then multiple 9xx cards would be very attractive.

Toying around with getting a 710-730 that works OOB without Nvidia drivers to power Mac side of things (ill use the HD530 but apparently sleep is broken) and get whatever the hell I want for Windows which is used only for gaming. Only thing is, I need to work out how to make them work on a Apple Cinema Display.

So the argument for getting a 900 Series is there, but at the same time so is my proposal. It really comes down to what the user wants, is it GPU power in gaming, or in OSX?

@Wolfie81 do you have a link to a list of cards that work OOB? Is the GT 730 the most powerful among them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back