Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the long-awaited web drive, will come in the Santa Claus bag next Christmas

Last edited:
So bottom line is we still don't have any drivers for it right? I'm checking in every 10 pages or so and the only solution I see here is to get an AMD as well. But for us with watercooled systems and a huge ass card like ASUS 1080 Strix, where would we fit it? And will it be proof for all future apple OSes?
Well buy a larger case.

There has been all sorts of speculation and guessing in this thread, but I'd like to pose a couple questions to those who know best (fl0rian?):

If nVidia does not release a pascal driver, will we ever get acceleration on the 10x0 cards?

Based on the current status of things, are we expecting to ever actually get pascal-updated web drivers?

I'm trying to decide whether I bite the bullet and get a 1080 on Black Friday, then wait for support (I can wait until the end of December; then I need my machine working), or if I get a gigabyte 980 ti g1 gaming (6gb) for $350, which I have offered to me. It's a hard choice.

We need a graphics driver either from Apple or Nvidia. It's far more likely that Nvidia will update their WebDrivers at some point, as Apple has absolutely no interest in supporting us. In fact they've even removed Maxwell support from their drivers, although it's based on a revision which should support is.

It's hard to predict if Nvidia is going to support us (again). In the past they've been quite supportive, although it's not unusual that a new GPU remains unsupported for some time. No one outside Nvidia or Apple can now that for sure.
Personally I'm quite sure that Pascal will get supported at some point, since virtually all Nvidia GPUs received support sooner or later. Hopefully we don't have to wait for the next major release of OS X next summer (big OS releases are usually accompanied by graphics driver updates). :lol:

Besides that it's not a new situation to me. As a long-term hackintosh user I'm used to the fact that I can't go into a PC store, pick any part and expect it to be compatible. We've been in a very lucky situation lately, since this was possible with lots of AMD and Nvidia GPUs in the last years. With Apple focussing more and more on pink laptops and fancy Emoji Bars, I'm afraid that we'll lose support for high end hardware. We'll see, time will tell.

To answer your question: I'd get the 980Ti, it's still a awesome card.

but I'd like to pose a couple questions to those who know best
The ones who know best are Nvidia OS X developers and Nvidia management, and they are not gonna post in this thread or somewhere else for that matter.

IF support comes, then drivers will be silently released without any fuss. If for whatever reason Nvidia does not release pascal drivers, then there will be no acceleration.

980 Ti gains atttraction on the used market. On ebay cards are being sold price wise on par with nearly no difference to a 1070 GTX.
I got hold one until support for Pascal kicks in.

The problem with AMD support is: Apple traditionally only supports those cards well which are also shipping in Macs. Support for Hawaii GPUs is wonky, Fiji is even worse. Polaris has become stable, but a full-size RX 480 gets outperformed by a GTX 980, so not worth the trouble (IMHO).
If Apple never updates the Mac Pro, we won't see any matured high-end GPU drivers.

Besides that, AMD GPUs have broken sleep/wake and many will boot to black screen unless one is using a "helper GPU". This is not affecting genuine Macs, so Apple won't fix it for us.

Hi. I have (maybe) a stupid question. So this is my first hackintosh, it works awesome with my 980 ti and sierra 10.12.1.

Do you think Nvidia will continue to support this card, or will the nvidia drivers stop as soon as Apple does not support the old mac pro's anymore (also when is that?)

Another questions: when 1080 ti comes out, can I just buy that one, and use two cards? (one for macOS and one for Windows) ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back