Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the GTX1060 card installed for Windows but use HD530 with OSX. I had to add "nv_disable=1" to the Clover boot args to get it to boot. When I want to use Windows I boot into the BIOS and change the primary graphics card from igfx to pcix, then change the input on my display to that of the 1060. A bit of a pain but it will have to do until (if) we get drivers from Nvidia.

I am using iGPU for MacOS (obviously) and GTX 1060 in windows. I did not have to disable anything I just set the iGPU as the primary one in my UEFI Bios and have MacOS connected to the monitor via VGA while windows uses HDMI from the GTX 1060, so no need to swap cables either!

Every night I check the Graphics subforum, hoping we've had some good news... but... :/

ou jut kill the very purpose of MacOS of plug and play... Come on, get a grip.

We're getting off topic, but nothing about a hackintosh is plug and play. For that, you need a genuine mac.

Every night I check the Graphics subforum, hoping we've had some good news... but... :/

We're getting off topic, but nothing about a hackintosh is plug and play. For that, you need a genuine mac.

Absolutely not. One thing is to get it to work properly, and yes, sweat shall be sweated. But once it runs, it's supposed to be stable and flexible, switch from one OS to another without pulling wires and abominations as such.

Interesting review of the new Macbook Pro on Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/video/2016/11/the-2016-13-and-15-inch-touch-bar-macbook-pros-reviewed/

It has a good explanation of why AMD was basically the only GPU choice for Apple here (well, it was news to me anyway). The design goal for the high-end models was to be able to drive two external 5K monitors, but Thunderbolt 3 only supports DisplayPort 1.2, which can't do 60Hz 5K over a single connection.

So each monitor requires two DisplayPort 1.2 connections, aggregated onto a single Thunderbolt port. Coupled with the need to also drive the internal display, a Macbook Pro with two external 5K screens hooked up would effectively be driving five monitors, and Nvidia GPUs only support four. AMD GPUs allow for six.

For everyone waiting for Nvidia support on real Macs, this means waiting until DisplayPort 1.3 (which Pascal GPUs have, and can drive a 5K screen on a single connector) becomes more widespread. There aren't many monitors that use it, so the Thunderbolt standard doesn't yet include it. After that point, maybe Nvidia could be a viable choice for future Apple machines.

Sry to ask, but after reading a lot of this thread I'm now totally confused.
Is the GTX 1080 now supported by the Nvidia WebDrivers? And is there CUDA availible for it. Or is it better to stay with the GTX 970?

To be fair, TB3 displays are not very widespread either. :lol: I think Apple's / LG's implementation is the only one of its kind so far, and I don't expect many other vendors to choose that route. DP1.3/1.4 is the way to go for desktop use, and that's what they'll do.

I don't know why they went for the 2x DP1.2-route with TB3, which makes it outdated with its release. A single DP1.3 stream shouldn't need more bandwidth than that. I guess Intels iGPUs are not DP1.3 ready yet, so they chose to cripple TB3 in favor of their graphics solutions?

For everyone waiting for Nvidia support on real Macs, this means waiting until DisplayPort 1.3 (which Pascal GPUs have, and can drive a 5K screen on a single connector) becomes more widespread. There aren't many monitors that use it, so the Thunderbolt standard doesn't yet include it. After that point, maybe Nvidia could be a viable choice for future Apple machines.
I have a feeling that the next refresh to Mac desktops will support NVIDIA GPUs, at least in some models. Otherwise, last month jobs offerings wouldn't mention how NVIDIA will make future Macs shine (I don't remember the exact words but it was something like that).

Sry to ask, but after reading a lot of this thread I'm now totally confused.
Is the GTX 1080 now supported by the Nvidia WebDrivers? And is there CUDA availible for it. Or is it better to stay with the GTX 970?
Don't be confused, it's clear: No 1080 support yet. Hopefully waiting for it. BTW, welcome to the thread (that's how I'm calling it now :lol: )

I don't know why they went for the 2x DP1.2-route with TB3, which makes it outdated with its release. A single DP1.3 stream shouldn't need more bandwidth than that. I guess Intels iGPUs are not DP1.3 ready yet, so they chose to cripple TB3 in favor of their graphics solutions?
Yes, it's odd that they wouldn't make TB3 a little more forward-looking from the outset. Intel iGPUs are still on DP1.2 but there are other solutions that are capable of DP1.3 (which would have been very beneficial for those of us waiting for Pascal support). These Macbooks and the LG 5K monitors they're selling are going to be outdated very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back