Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies then! I couldn't imagine this to be the case.

Yes partner, I had 980, 770, 660ti, 280x and now 290x Saphire Reference card gave me outstanding results in Final Cut X, and even in Davinci Resolve 11 and 12,5. Even better today with El Capitan that you don't need any configurations in reference card.

For me the time of rendering timelines around 3 TB it's very important for my clients.

Optional: Other thing I did for not to be thinking in replacing the card for a long time was overclock the 290x by bios. So my card works at 1250Mhz engine and 1375 Mhz Memory. I think this result are better than the new 1080 in Final Cut X for the Open Cl as Florian described, something that nvidia are not very interesting. Of course, the problem with 290X is the high temperature (around 90 Degrees rendering). I added a Kraken g10 and a Kraken x41 to get 56 degrees celsius rendering for about 3 hours and the same temps with VRM1 and VRM2.

Don't worry guys, nVidia is guaranted to release a Web driver for the 1080.

Also the 280x has the BEST performance for FCPX. 290x is actually slower.
The reason? Apple literally only has support for these cards in FCPX. FCPX uses OpenCL, but it's geared towards the 280x and the AMD cards in their MacBook Pro and Mac Pro Trashcan.

If you are having issues with your nVidia card and FCPX, try changing your system to Mac Pro 3,1 or Mac Pro 5,1, NOT iMac 12,1 etc.

Wrong fact. I had both cards. I work every day editing. And you can google test like BruceX in Final Cut X.
Or simply do your own test with both cards.
AMD 290X works more than twice faster than 280X. In BruceX 290X can give you 10/12 seconds.

I received yesterday my 1070.

Actually I use the iGPU for OSX and the eGPU for Windows:

– Bios: eGPU as primary.
– Windows: Completely disable (!) the HD Intel, otherwise you receive a black screen.
– OSX: no boot flag at all: neither nv_disable.. nor nvdr... The HD 4600 works as secondary display which I have as primary in the options. I've full acceleration with the Intel HD 4600. In Clover: ig-platform-id: 0x0D220003. Otherwise HD 4600 doesn't work as second monitor!

Last edited:
You have full acceleration on OSX with the 1070?

I'm considering to build a sky lake hackintosh soon with intention to dual boot win 10 for gaming with a gtx 1080.

I know we are waiting on nvidia pascal drivers, so in meantime can I run two 4K monitors in retina mode using the iGPU method? Is it strong enough for Adobe and does DisplayPort work? I understand it is probably ideal to wait for drivers and Sierra...

Wrong fact. I had both cards. I work every day editing. And you can google test like BruceX in Final Cut X.
Or simply do your own test with both cards.
AMD 290X works more than twice faster than 280X. In BruceX 290X can give you 10/12 seconds.

Maybe, I got the 280x for another machine because of all the recommendations here and on FCPX forums.

Is 290x OOB?

Maybe, I got the 280x for another machine because of all the recommendations here and on FCPX forums.

Is 290x OOB?

Sapphire Reference Card 290X is OOB in Yosemite and El Capitan, no Inject in Clover, no patch.
I have two in different machines: one with Asus mother (Maximus VIII) and other in Gigabyte (Z87X-ud5h).

Regards!

Yeah. I'm kind of in the same boat.
Got an HTC Vive and was so caught up in the Hoopla about the 1080 when it was released that I had to have it to improve my VR performance. Coincidentally the day my Vive arrived my OSX install somehow got hosed during what should have been a routine update. So now I have my old 970 in a box and am running my OSX stuff on my 2011 imac. (That I thankfully never sold after my "hack" build). So. I've got my old install (1TB SSD ) sitting in an external USB enclosure doing nothing and a really nice 1080 equipped PC running the vive on windows only. So my question is this.
Should I try to install my old 970 within my system or try to go go with the built in graphics of the 4790K?
I worry about overtaxing my power supply (750w)
How is performance running on the internal graphics?
My HDMI port is taken up by the Vive of course but my monitor does allow simultaneous connections via display port.
Mostly use the mac for Illustrator/Photoshop stuff at home, and only on rare occasions do I have to work on anything that would really tax the GPU.
I will probably have to rebuild my OSX install from scratch and migrate my old data via time machine backup.
It would be nice to have everything in one box again as I am thinking about doing a bedroom switch to give more room to
my Vive setup. (operating on the minimum for room scale at the moment)

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

WRC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back