Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im trying to do the same thing.
i give it a 80% chance.

Be aware that if you leave both GPUs in (1080 and whatever other GPU you have installed), you'll need a power supply capable of delivering full power to both GPUs at once, and you'll halve your available PCIe lanes to each card from x16 to x8/x8 (unless on an X99 system using a 40 lane capable CPU). And there's no guarantee of stability either. Mixing two GPUs in OS X, even from the same manufacturer/vendor has, and apparently will always be as much a voodoo project as the old SCSI drives were back on the old PowerMac 6xx/7xx machines. :)

Be aware that if you leave both GPUs in (1080 and whatever other GPU you have installed), you'll need a power supply capable of delivering full power to both GPUs at once, and you'll halve your available PCIe lanes to each card from x16 to x8/x8 (unless on an X99 system using a 40 lane capable CPU). And there's no guarantee of stability either. Mixing two GPUs in OS X, even from the same manufacturer/vendor has, and apparently will always be as much a voodoo project as the old SCSI drives were back on the old PowerMac 6xx/7xx machines. :)

Mixing GPUs in OS X isn't an issue. Lots of people in the Mac Pro community run multiple GPUs to have boot screens and still run upgraded GPUs that don't have EFI ROMs. Back in 10.6 you had to run a native GPU to act as an injector card in a Mac Pro to be able to use a PC card.

Mixing GPUs in OS X isn't an issue. Lots of people in the Mac Pro community run multiple GPUs to have boot screens and still run upgraded GPUs that don't have EFI ROMs. Back in 10.6 you had to run a native GPU to act as an injector card in a Mac Pro to be able to use a PC card.

There are some who did manage to get it working without issue, but it was always hit and miss. There's never been a "silver bullet" when it comes to mixing GPUs in OS X. It's gotten a lot better as modern cards are much more tolerant of each other than older cards were (with of course the exception of mixing AMD + nVidia GPUs together, which still seems to cause tears in the space-time continuum).

There are some who did manage to get it working without issue, but it was always hit and miss. There's never been a "silver bullet" when it comes to mixing GPUs in OS X. It's gotten a lot better as modern cards are much more tolerant of each other than older cards were (with of course the exception of mixing AMD + nVidia GPUs together, which still seems to cause tears in the space-time continuum).

There are LOTs of people who mix AMD and Nvidia GPUs in OS X too. With DX12 that will also be possible in Windows.

Hanging onto my SLi 980's until pascal support is confirmed.

So got my 1070.
It boots up with mac with a gtx 960 as a second card. (im using the gtx 960 for osx)
obviously without driver support.
just make sure that you use 1 cable bec 2 gpus plugged into the monitor ****s up osx

cheers

(asus skylake motherboard - clover)

So got my 1070.
It boots up with mac with a gtx 960 as a second card. (im using the gtx 960 for osx)
obviously without driver support.
just make sure that you use 1 cable bec 2 gpus plugged into the monitor ****s up osx

cheers

(asus skylake motherboard - clover)

Thats good info.
Can you tell us what motherboard exactly you are using?
I wonder if this would work with my Z97 msi gaming 3 wich isn't SLI compatible.
But that would be great if I could use my 980 in OSX and the 1080 in Windows.
But one card would have to work in a PCIe 2.0 times 16 supports x4 speed slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back