CPU
i5-3320M / QM77
Graphics
Intel HD 4000, 1366x768
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi there! first of all, thanks to all this community for all the great resources and tools!
I have a problem, though.

I'm trying to install High Sierra (downloaded form the App Store) into a ThinkPad X230/i5-3320M. The only way I found to get a succesful installation was connecting the laptop via ethernet, otherwise I would get the "the recovery server could not be reached" message. I messed up my partition and now I have to install it again, but sadly I haven't got a ethernet high speed available (I had to move to a friend's house to install it the first time). I tried other methods, like forwarding my wifi trough my desktop trough it's ethernet to the laptop, but I just can't get a speed enough to not to get a ET of installation < 6hs...

My main doubt it's because, researching the forum, I came up with people with the same problem, solving it by changing the date (my date is ok), and finally, Unibeast 8.3.2 was released allegedly allowing offline installation, but it seems to just not do that. Just to be clear, to get the thing boot in my X230, I'm replacing the whole EFI with a custom one, will be this the source of the problem? and if yes, which file/configuration should I leave on to allow offline installation of macOS High Sierra?

Thanks folks.

Hi there! first of all, thanks to all this community for all the great resources and tools!
I have a problem, though.

I'm trying to install High Sierra (downloaded form the App Store) into a ThinkPad X230/i5-3320M. The only way I found to get a succesful installation was connecting the laptop via ethernet, otherwise I would get the "the recovery server could not be reached" message. I messed up my partition and now I have to install it again, but sadly I haven't got a ethernet high speed available (I had to move to a friend's house to install it the first time). I tried other methods, like forwarding my wifi trough my desktop trough it's ethernet to the laptop, but I just can't get a speed enough to not to get a ET of installation < 6hs...

My main doubt it's because, researching the forum, I came up with people with the same problem, solving it by changing the date (my date is ok), and finally, Unibeast 8.3.2 was released allegedly allowing offline installation, but it seems to just not do that. Just to be clear, to get the thing boot in my X230, I'm replacing the whole EFI with a custom one, will be this the source of the problem? and if yes, which file/configuration should I leave on to allow offline installation of macOS High Sierra?

Thanks folks.
i have moved your post to laptop support

as per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier
https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Link to laptop guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Thanks for the quick answer. I updated my profile. I have read the FAQs, I'm indeed following them to make the build work.

My issue is with a tonymacx86 tool, UniBeast 8.3.2, that is not allowing me to create a bootable offline installer of High Sierra, even when that version says that it allows to do that, I posted this in UniBeast forum thinking it could be a bug report.

Thanks for the quick answer. I updated my profile. I have read the FAQs, I'm indeed following them to make the build work.

My issue is with a tonymacx86 tool, UniBeast 8.3.2, that is not allowing me to create a bootable offline installer of High Sierra, even when that version says that it allows to do that, I posted this in UniBeast forum thinking it could be a bug report.
the laptop guide doesn't use unibeast

if you are downloading High Sierra using Sierra, make sure Sierra is updated to the latest version before downloading high Sierra

the laptop guide doesn't use unibeast

if you are downloading High Sierra using Sierra, make sure Sierra is updated to the latest version before downloading high Sierra

Yes I read the "createinstallmedia" thing, guess I should test that first, just thought that would be what UniBeast does automagically. I was mainly using a github and youtube guide, but guess it's time to start fresh and from scratch without easy paths.

I'm reading this now: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-high-sierra-10-13-4-clean-install.249175/

And yes, to make my Installer visible in Clover after using UniBeast, I had to delete that .IAPhysicalMedia, maybe that's the root of the issue.

So I will be trying the createinstallmedia method & Clover from the scratch, and update on my issue.

Thanks!

Yes I read the "createinstallmedia" thing, guess I should test that first, just thought that would be what UniBeast does automagically. I was mainly using a github and youtube guide, but guess it's time to start fresh and from scratch without easy paths.

I'm reading this now: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-high-sierra-10-13-4-clean-install.249175/

And yes, to make my Installer visible in Clover after using UniBeast, I had to delete that .IAPhysicalMedia, maybe that's the root of the issue.

So I will be trying the createinstallmedia method & Clover from the scratch, and update on my issue.

Thanks!

Please fill out your profile as requested in the FAQ:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Last edited:
See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

You might also use search to find laptop specific information (your laptop is relatively old, so it is likely someone else has hacked it relatively completely).

working with this guide I succeeded at installing High Sierra from USB, without deleting ".IAPhysicalMedia" file, which clearly points to the physical OSX installer in the drive so it didn't ask me to download it all over again. The key step was the HFS+ driver for Clover.

Off course I was searching for laptop specific info, and I found a lot, with a few kexts from here and from there I got working almost everything.

The TrackPoint and it's click buttons, working trough VoodooPS2, are really unstable (sometimes working very choppy, sometimes just dead), I will try installing RehabMan's VoodooPS2 and it's Daemon and see what happends.
The internal sound is working via VoodooHDA, I don't know if that's the optimal, but it works. I just can't turn down the microphone gain (it's really hot, can't even talk to it without clipping, and the control on SysPrefs is unresponsive). I'll be trying deleting VoodooHDA and following some of the sound guides.
Sleep is working (although on wake, some bugs occur, even sudden reboot), and need to check the other power management stuff. I patched my SSDT with a generator script, but I'm still a little bit confused on SSDT/DSDT patches, guess I have to read that guide thoroughly too.

In short, the system is usable for my purpouses and I will just go on tweaking as I keep on researching and understanding the stuff, but if you want to pinpoint me in the right direction as before, it will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back