Contribute
Register

[Solved] New updating sierra Nvidia driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
5700 XT
Hello i installed the new security update on sierra 10.12.6(16G1036),after reboot nvidia driver its not compatible...any solution¿?¿¿

thx¡¡

same here.

macOS version 10.12.6 (16G1036) is not compatible with NVIDIA Web Driver 378.05.05.25f01
no new driver available yet.
lesson learned. again. but the fist security upgrade that broke nvidia graphics.
its now on nvidia, but as far as I know the apple certification process I don't expect a valid signed nvidia driver within the next quarter ;-(

Same here, that was rather unexpected :(
On the contrary, it is the expected behaviour.
Web drivers are matched to OS build numbers and therefore break when an update changes the build number.

A quick trick (just temporary) is to update the file:
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Look for "NVDARequiredOS" and replace the previos value with: "16G1036", like the following:
Code:
<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>                                      
<string>16G1036</string>

Then execute these commands and reboot the system:
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

It should work.

Just installed ''Security Update 2017-001'' via the app store on 10.12.6 (16G1036). Indeed, it broke Nvidia Web Driver 378.05.05.25f01.

@killkrt provided a temporary solution, thanks!

A quick trick (just temporary) is to update the file:
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Look for "NVDARequiredOS" and replace the previos value with: "16G1036", like the following:
Code:
<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>                                    
<string>16G1036</string>

Then execute these commands and reboot the system:
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

It should work.

@Cozwinkle yes, the procedure that I posted only works if you have nVidia driver installed, after you have installed you have to modify the configuration file as mentioned, then open a terminal window and execute those two commands and then reboot your system.

Actually this a trick to force loading of nVidia driver with the new build until official one will be released.

@Cozwinkle I'm on the same boat, I thought uninstalling then reinstalling the the web driver would work. But now to perform the steps @killkrt provided I can't because the driver won't install because it's incompatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back