Contribute
Register

***SOLVED*** Need Extra FAN for push pull setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Professional-M
CPU
i7-3770K (4.2 GHz)
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
  4. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Everyone,

I've recently built a nice Hackintosh with a P8Z77-M Pro, Corsair H50 Cooler, and a SilverStone FT03 Case.

The case has 3 built in Fans, The motherboard has 3 Fan headers, and a CPU Fan header. The issue I've run into is needing another Fan header for a push pull setup for the liquid cooler's radiator. I basically need another Fan header.

Can someone recommend or tell me how I can accomplish using 4 fans with only 3 fan headers on the P8Z77-M Pro motherboard?

This is my first ever computer build, I'm not a moron in any way but definitely a newb.

Thanks!

PS. The cooler uses 1 of the headers for the liquid pump.

Re: Need Extra FAN for push pull setup?

You could connect them straight to your power supply. Buy a fan speed controller if you feel the need to be able to control your fan speed.

Davethedog said:
You could connect them straight to your power supply...

Will the Fan shut off when the computer is asleep or will it keep on running? I'm thinking about putting the pump on the PSU and the fans on the motherboard fan headers.

What do you think?

Thanks for the advise by the way.

I'm getting great temps. without over-clock idle 26c about 55c at 100% load for an hour.

Well, I currently have four fans running; the cpu fan, one rear case fan connected directly to the mobo and two up front connected to the psu. With the computer sleeping, the fans continue to run. The fan on the mobo is running as well. It may turn off in a few. I will keep checking and update the post if necessary. -edit- all fans are off now and the computer is sleeping -edit-

As far as where to connect the pump, I really don't have any experience with liquid cooling but for me, in your case, I would connect the pump directly to the psu. My guess is that anything connected to the psu will always be on, hence the need for a fan controller or switch.

Actually now that I am thinking about it, I suppose you could also connect the pump to the cpu fan controller on the mobo and run the fans off the psu.

Please take this advice with a grain of salt as I am learning the ways. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

Davethedog said:
...Actually now that I am thinking about it, I suppose you could also connect the pump to the cpu fan controller on the mobo and run the fans off the psu...

The Corsair H50 Manuel says to hookup the pump to the Case Fan header, and the radiator cooling fan to the CPU Fan header.

I took this as needing the pump to keep moving liquid, and the radiator fan attached to the CPU Fan header to cool the liquid as needed.

Right now my setup is pumping liquid without any bios/PMW management and the push/pull fans are controlled by the motherboard.

This seems to be working well temps are great:

Idle (Stock 3.5 GHz) 26? Celsius
100% Load (Stock 3.5 GHz) 55? Celsius (for 1 hour)

My concern is that this setup will prematurely burnout the pump.

Thanks again for the help, anyone else have anything to add?

According to Corsair customer service. I should hook the pump up to the PSU, radiator fan to CPU_Fan Header, and my other case fans on the CASE_Fan headers.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Would you mind telling me what patches you applied to make everything work on the OS? I have the same motherboard.

Just an FYI, the pump should not be connected to any fan header that will have voltage drop below 12V because that is what it requires to operate correctly(there should not be a lack of current either). If you can get a molex->fan header adaptor that would optimal, just check with a multimeter that it is putting out at least 11.9V and no more than 12.5V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back