Contribute
Register

[Solved] My Radeon RX 580 is seen as an RX 480?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming
CPU
i9 10850K
Graphics
RX 5600 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I bought an RX 580 from Amazon as a warehouse deal, but have had problems with it (see me earlier post regarding 'yellow screen of death')

I have been getting lots of GPU resets, tonight on looking at yet another restart report I noticed that the OS is seeing my Graphics Hardware as an RX 480.

Sure enough, on the system information my Mac lists the Chipset Model as a Radeon RX 480.

Have I been ripped off or is this consistent with the way Hackintosh 'sees' some hardware (e.g. I'm on Coffee Lake but the system sees it as an unknown processor.

Any advise appreciated, I can still send this back to Amazon.

i recall that there were variants of the rx 560 that were actually rx 460 chips... i wonder if the same could be true of rx 580?

also i think the firmware of various ATI cards are not necessarily compatible with OSX and need to be flashed. what is the brand of your card?

Hi Joe,

It’s a Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB.

I went with Sapphire as they appear to work OOB and I had no problems with my 560.

Ok, turns out I was swindled.

I noticed that the barcode / model number on the box had been covered by another sticker (barcode of unknown provenance) so I pulled the card. Turns out it was indeed an rx 480 with a different barcode.

In my defence, to the untrained eye the 480 looks the same as the 580 and as it was from a reputable seller (and in a 580 box with supporting cd and manual) I didn't read the product information on the actual gpu.

Amazon have been great though, a replacement is in transit.

I'll keep this thread up as a reminder to people that I'm easily fooled. If there are any Nigerian princes on the site looking to offload a ton of money through a UK account for questionable reasons, please do not hesitate to contact.

Ok, turns out I was swindled.

I noticed that the barcode / model number on the box had been covered by another sticker (barcode of unknown provenance) so I pulled the card. Turns out it was indeed an rx 480 with a different barcode.

In my defence, to the untrained eye the 480 looks the same as the 580 and as it was from a reputable seller (and in a 580 box with supporting cd and manual) I didn't read the product information on the actual gpu.

Amazon have been great though, a replacement is in transit.

I'll keep this thread up as a reminder to people that I'm easily fooled. If there are any Nigerian princes on the site looking to offload a ton of money through a UK account for questionable reasons, please do not hesitate to contact.

both AMD and Nvidia always like to rename their old product with a new name, basically it is the same product.

don't be fooled by their marketing strategy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_400_series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_500_series

Yes my understanding is that the 500 series is basically a faster 400 series, that the architecture allows for faster speeds at roughly the same power consumption (with overclocking requiring greater resource)

Unfortunately it's all about the firmware isn't it? 580 is compatible with Apple and 480 isn't, as I've proven with my recent experience.

I've read that you can flash 480's up to 580's but access to Windows is required and I don't have that. Besides I've paid for a 580 so...

Yes my understanding is that the 500 series is basically a faster 400 series, that the architecture allows for faster speeds at roughly the same power consumption (with overclocking requiring greater resource)

Unfortunately it's all about the firmware isn't it? 580 is compatible with Apple and 480 isn't, as I've proven with my recent experience.

I've read that you can flash 480's up to 580's but access to Windows is required and I don't have that. Besides I've paid for a 580 so...

boot from linux usb drive, you can flash the bios in linux

ATIFlash Linux
https://github.com/d13g0s0uz4/atiflash

Code:
atiflash -ai
atiflash -s 0 RomFileName.ROM
atiflash -v 0 RomFileName.ROM
atiflash -p 0 RomToFlash.ROM
atiflash -v 0 RomFileName.ROM
atiflash -ai

RX480s are compatible with macOS, I've ran one for years. If you were getting lots of GPU resets it's likely the card is bad (or you have a power delivery issue). If you got an RX480 in a RX580 box I wouldn't be shocked if you got a broken card

It’s a distinct possibility.

I had an Amazon voucher to spend and I thought it would would be safest to go with a card shown to work natively.

I’m not sure it was worth the hassle.

RX 580 arrived today, has run stable with no issues so far.
No Lilu, no Whatevergreen and no RadeonDeInit required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back