Contribute
Register

Solved: Multiple reboots during Big Sur update/install (not able to finish installation).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS sabertooth z97 mark 2
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks to all for the support. Yesterday, I downloaded Big Sur, installed it on my macbook pro without any problems, so installer is good. I switch my Catalina install on my Hack from clover to Opencore, and system is running very good with opencore. Tried to update from Big Sur app, and also tried from usb stick, and I get the same no matter what I try. After first reboot of a normal process, I pick macOS Installer, I get to the apple screen after what seems normal verbose, 5-10 seconds after that the machine simply reboots again, I keep choosing macOS Install partition, and it just keeps doing the same, nothing different, exactly the same verbose and behavior every single time; I have rebooted 5-6 times at least. Any suggestions are welcome. I am running a Haswell system. I attach video, pics, and efi (sorry for video lenth).
Update: I think I didn't disable SIP in opencore config. I think that maybe it. I'll update later.
Update: Disabling SIP didn't make any difference.
Update: Installing from usb stick always reboots at "12 minutes remaining"

Attachments

• Images.zip
    16.1 MB · Views: 103
  • EFI_oc.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Nop, disabling SIP in opencore config doesn't make a difference.

Installing from usb stick always reboots at "12 minutes remaining" getting this verbose screen just before rebooting, and just after "12 minutes remaining" screen.
I am sure there is something wrong with my config file and/or EFI; I have to say that it was working fine on Catalina.

IMG_0159.JPG

Last edited:
Went over dortiana OpenCore Install Guide again. Step by step, made new USB stick, new EFI, new config file; no change, still having the same results. Used prebuilt SSDT-EC and SSDT-PLUG files.
Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• config.plist
    23.7 KB · Views: 49
  • EFI_oc2.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
The only issue opencore.slowgeek.com found was:
  • RebuildAppleMemoryMap = Yes (usually set to No)
I did change that to No, but still same result.

hummmm ok I guess I misunderstood your config. Your z97 is a Ivy Bridge era motherboard while you listed your CPU as Haswell...

hummmm ok I guess I misunderstood your config. Your z97 is a Ivy Bridge era motherboard while you listed your CPU as Haswell...
Mmmmm, interesting. I just looked into my cpu, not my motherboard gen. I will certainly look into that. Thanks.

Found this on a forum: “Your Z97 chipset motherboard is socket 1150, and supports Haswell (4th generation) and Broadwell (5th generation)”. I guess z97 is Haswell after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back