Contribute
Register

[Solved] Mojave graphics problem when PCIe RAID card is plugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you had me looking at my raid. One of my 12 disks dropped off. I only have one spare left (12 x 4TB drives, RAID 10, 2 hot spares) I guess I had the alarm disabled. Losing 1 disk a year isn't too bad. Time to go buy another 4tb back up drive and free it from it's case.

Worse... I don't remember how to figure out which drive is dead. I guess I'll just dupicate a big file and mark all the active disks. the two inactive ones will be the dead drive and the remaining hot spare.
Don't you have the web GUI installed? Then you can see which is the dead one. I mean one if you numbered the disks with stickers like me.

here is the WEB GUI:

Don't you have the web GUI installed? Then you can see which is the dead one. I mean one if you numbered the disks with stickers like me.

here is the WEB GUI:

Sure I can... its physical drive 1_11. I guess I should have taken the time to trace and label everything but there's never enough time to do it right :lol: Yes, I have the web GUI installed. How do you think I know a spare got used and a drive is missing?

Right now I have 3 SAS cables split out into 12 SATA cables going into a single 12 bay cage so No, I don't actually know which drive in the cage is 1_11. I always thought I'd get the drive identification blinker to work but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Sure I can... its physical drive 1_11. I guess I should have taken the time to trace and label everything but there's never enough time to do it right :lol: Yes, I have the web GUI installed. How do you think I know a spare got used and a drive is missing?

Right now I have 3 SAS cables split out into 12 SATA cables going into a single 12 bay cage so No, I don't actually know which drive in the cage is 1_11. I always thought I'd get the drive identification blinker to work but it doesn't seem to do anything.
I never had a failed disk and I am really not looking forward to it. I think it’s possible to get add on led light on the pins of the card but don’t know where to get them. I don’t think my card can blink or makes noise. Never tried it

[solved] For me it solved the Problem to disable "storage boot option control" in BIOS. (from first post)

Wow, a BIOS option caused problems with your Vega card but only if the RAID card was plugged in... I could see it being a problem, but not a video problem.

I never had a failed disk and I am really not looking forward to it. I think it’s possible to get add on led light on the pins of the card but don’t know where to get them. I don’t think my card can blink or makes noise. Never tried it

I kinda asked for it. My RAID is the definition of RAID -- Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. I used the cheap Seagate USB3 disks you can buy at walmart for $89 each. That's why I have 5 disks of redundancy and 2 hot spares. The moment I rip those drives out of the plastic case, I own them and the warranty is over. It's really stupid that I would have to pay $30-$50 more for the same drive without the case. I use SoftRAID to test/validate each USB drive before I take it apart.

How is your RAID configured? 10 seems to be best for safety and speed of recovery from a failure.

I kinda asked for it. My RAID is the definition of RAID -- Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. I used the cheap Seagate USB3 disks you can buy at walmart for $89 each. That's why I have 5 disks of redundancy and 2 hot spares. The moment I rip those drives out of the plastic case, I own them and the warranty is over. It's really stupid that I would have to pay $30-$50 more for the same drive without the case. I use SoftRAID to test/validate each USB drive before I take it apart.

How is your RAID configured? 10 seems to be best for safety and speed of recovery from a failure.
I use 4 x 4TB in RAID 5. so far I´m lucky. Today I checked the speed and it dropped down a lot. Last time I checked it was 450mbs in both direction. now only a bit over 200. what could do this? it did not get more full or anything.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 23.24.53.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 23.24.53.png
    213.8 KB · Views: 41
I use 4 x 4TB in RAID 5. so far I´m lucky. Today I checked the speed and it dropped down a lot. Last time I checked it was 450mbs in both direction. now only a bit over 200. what could do this? it did not get more full or anything.

Keep it backed up. The experts have found that RAID 5 with 4TB drives is usually unrecoverable when a disk fails. I am in the same boat with one of my arrays (also RAID5 with 4TB drives.) Worse, I am using 4 4TB SSHD drives which Seagate doesn't make anymore. I couldn't replace a dead drive if I wanted to. SEE: https://smbitjournal.com/2012/05/when-no-redundancy-is-more-reliable/

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to know. That's why my latest array is RAID10 with hot spares.

Keep it backed up. The experts have found that RAID 5 with 4TB drives is usually unrecoverable when a disk fails. I am in the same boat with one of my arrays (also RAID5 with 4TB drives.) Worse, I am using 4 4TB SSHD drives which Seagate doesn't make anymore. I couldn't replace a dead drive if I wanted to. SEE: https://smbitjournal.com/2012/05/when-no-redundancy-is-more-reliable/

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to know. That's why my latest array is RAID10 with hot spares.
Now I’m scared! So what do you suggest in my case? I can put up to 8 drives on my card. What kind of raid should I make? And what speeds can I get? Mine is a bit too slow in the moment. Is it possible to use some kind of external case with external power supply? My case is kinda full and the power supply can’t take much more

RAID 10 is the only easily recoverable RAID with large drives. If your card doesn't support 10, make 2 RAID1s with the card and use MacOS software RAID to stripe them (RAID0). The RAID 10 gives you some speed and you can lose 1 drive from each RAID1 mirror without losing data. You will only have 8TB when done. You can add another pair of 4TB drives to get back to 12TB. There are SAS internal to external adapters that take a PCI back slot. You could use one of these to route your unused internal to an external SFF8088 connector.

I'd get an enclosure like this and put a 4drive/3bay cage in it with an SFF8088 to 4 sata adaptor on the back.

That would give you 4 drives internal plus 4 drives external. This ad says not for external storage... It has a 250w power supply, it will work fine.

Check the status of your RAID. If it is very slow it may already have lost a drive. For offline backups, I now buy big drives by the pair and mirror them in an external enclosure. Not fast but reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back