Contribute
Register

[Solved] .metadata_never_index can't be removed, preventing Spotlight from working in El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok so I'm at a loss for why this is happening, but spotlight will not work correctly on my hack. No matter what I do, .metadata_never_index keeps showing up at the root folder, preventing spotlight from displaying any results from my Mac SSD.

Is this possibly a permissions thing or a clover thing? Also not sure if related, but Clover isn't saving/booting to the last used OS with the setting turned on in the config file. Also I've read about possibly adding .metadata_never_index to the EFI partition to speedup startup and shutdown and have noticed my system feels very slow to shut down, even after the loading animation stops.

I am dual booting El Capitan and Windows 10:
  • Clover with 10.11.6 and Windows 10 on separate SSDs
  • Drivers 64UEFI, Install RC Scripts
  • Profiled as iMac 17,1 w/ iMessage functioning
  • i5-6500
  • Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H
  • GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB
  • 16GB (2x8) RAM

I've added .metadata_never_index to the windows drive using these instructions. Things I have tried:
  • Adding and removing the Mac HD to and from the Privacy tab in System Preferences > Spotlight
  • Deleting .metadata_never_index at /, but it always shows back up after rebooting
  • Stopping and starting the spotlight service
  • Pretty much everything in this thread (mdutil off/on, rebuild the index).
  • And in this one (rebuild database and turn on indexing).
I'm at a loss, appreciate any help.

It's an issue with the RC Scripts.
This issue was fixed in r4041 and r4045 commit.
https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/commit_browser

I just installed the latest version of Clover, went through the steps of deleting .metadata_never_index, rebuilding the database and starting the service and then rebooted. .metadata_never_index is back in the root drive and so spotlight is still not functioning.

Edit: Oh wait, those commits aren't in the actual program yet from what I can see. I guess I'll have to wait for the version to be updated.

Edit: Oh wait, those commits aren't in the actual program yet from what I can see. I guess I'll have to wait for the version to be updated.

You can download Clover v2.4k_r4045 here.

.spotlight_never_index appears in root after reboot bug confirmed fixed in 4045.

Did not work for me.
  • I've verified i have r4035 installed
  • deleted .metadata_never_indes from /
  • Did:
Code:
sudo mdutil -i off /
sudo rm -rf /.Spotlight*
sudo mdutil -i on /
sudo mdutil -E /
  • rebooted and .metadata_never_index is back in the root folder
No idea what to do from here

Did not work for me.
  • I've verified i have r4035 installed
The fix is not in 4035, you need a later version which isn't publicly released yet. There is a link above to a 4045 version which should contain the fix (working for me).

The fix is not in 4035, you need a later version which isn't publicly released yet. There is a link above to a 4045 version which should contain the fix (working for me).

I used that link and updated my clover but not working spotlight issue..and mail search does not working still.

Should I do for more action in terminal? after update clover?

Please help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back