Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Messed up my computer by upgrading to High Sierra without ssd fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You rock cmn699! I was able to follow you and am now able to boot normally once again, thank you.

The odd thing is that my screen has been acting up since trying to do this whole update and it get’s these fast moving horizontal lines and squares when scrolling up and down even though my 'about this mac' screen shows my Zotac 710 with 2gb like it used to before.

Also, I tried again to correctly perform the high sierra update like it states on this page: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

But when my mac reboots and I chose the install mac os option on the clover boot screen as instructed it hangs in the middle of that installation. Here's a pic of that verbose line error.

Attachments

• IMG_3929.jpeg
    IMG_3929.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
You rock cmn699! I was able to follow you and am now able to boot normally once again, thank you.

The odd thing is that my screen has been acting up since trying to do this whole update and it get’s these fast moving horizontal lines and squares when scrolling up and down even though my 'about this mac' screen shows my Zotac 710 with 2gb like it used to before.

Also, I tried again to correctly perform the high sierra update like it states on this page: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

But when my mac reboots and I chose the install mac os option on the clover boot screen as instructed it hangs in the middle of that installation. Here's a pic of that verbose line error.

• I am not quite sure about the genesis of these strange artifacts on the screen when your Video Card is showing it is normal with 2GB.

• You could have uploaded the screen Capture images of "Apple>About This Mac>Overview" and "System Report...>Hardware> Graphics & Displays" screen.
  • I will first rule out any loose connection between the Video ports at both ends of the Digital Video cable and to be certain Remove and Reseat the cable at both ends after shut down.

During the upgrade , while the computer reboots after the initial few minutes of copying the files to your existing Sierra disk, press the hot key for selecting Boot Device Screen and there you select the icon of your System Disk NOT the Installer disk icon.

Once you reach CLOVER Boot Manager screen , DO NOT SELECT Install MacOS option icon in the left most side, but instead, choose the previous System Disk icon on which the installer has been loading files before reaching CBM screen [ It would have been a lot easier for me if you had uploaded the CBM screen shot so I can see what you are seeing. That way I can help you better by editing that image]

During the High Sierra upgrade, as outlined on the instructions page, I first run the terminal command and approve those changes by typing A and entering my password at the prompt at which point the system automatically reboots and I'm supposed to select the installer icon at the CBM then after that runs and it reboots again then I'm supposed to select the system disk icon so that it completes the install but it gets stuck and never reboots so that I can select the system disk icon at that point.

BTW, I also should've mentioned that my active SSD came out of my previous, perfectly working hackintosh which was an HP 6300 SFF before I purchased this 8300 SFF.

Aside from the ssd, I also transplanted the Zotac 710 from that pc to my current pc. Can it have something to do with the serial numbers not matching, etc. since this is a new motherboard and cpu but using that old sdd and system files? If so, how can I remedy this.

I'll be uploading the CBM screen shortly. Thanks again! :thumbup:
Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 6.04.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 6.05.44 PM.png

During the High Sierra upgrade, as outlined on the instructions page, I first run the terminal command and approve those changes by typing A and entering my password at the prompt at which point the system automatically reboots and I'm supposed to select the installer icon at the CBM then after that runs and it reboots again then I'm supposed to select the system disk icon so that it completes the install but it gets stuck and never reboots so that I can select the system disk icon at that point.

BTW, I also should've mentioned that my active SSD came out of my previous, perfectly working hackintosh which was an HP 6300 SFF before I purchased this 8300 SFF.

Aside from the ssd, I also transplanted the Zotac 710 from that pc to my current pc. Can it have something to do with the serial numbers not matching, etc. since this is a new motherboard and cpu but using that old sdd and system files? If so, how can I remedy this.

I'll be uploading the CBM screen shortly. Thanks again! :thumbup:
View attachment 301381

View attachment 301380
What version of macOS High Sierra are you trying to upgrade to?

In My Highsierra 10.13.2 system with GT 710 no artifacts. [See image]

Attachments

• Gt710 and Graphics & Displays.png
    Gt710 and Graphics & Displays.png
    189.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
So I was able to fix the graphics issue by uninstalling the Nvidia and selecting nvidia web drvrs in CBM :headbang:

Now that all is good again I need to figure out the high sierra upgrade issue. Is this even worth it or should I just stay on Sierra?

Also, I assume it's the latest version of high sierra because I just downloaded it from the app store.

So I was able to fix the graphics issue by uninstalling the Nvidia and selecting nvidia web drvrs in CBM :headbang:

Now that all is good again I need to figure out the high sierra upgrade issue. Is this even worth it or should I just stay on Sierra?

Also, I assume it's the latest version of high sierra because I just downloaded it from the app store.

Congratulations :clap:!

• I cannot comment on your decision to upgrade or not.
  • One suggestion I have is to clone current disk and keep the clone and then try your upgrade on the current one if you decide to do so.
  • You can clone a non -APFS disk to a cheaper SATA Spindisk of equal or larger size as an emergency replacement for any mishaps like what you had.
  • With a Clone in hand, you can be a little bolder to upgrade the current SSD to 10.13.2 or even Create a USB installer and do a clean install on it.
  • I use Clonezilla (a linux disk) to clone; if interested, you may check this post #2 for all details and steps.
At any case, you may close this thread with a suffix [SOLVED] to the Title of your post.
You can start a new thread for "Clean install" or "Upgrade Install" to HS 10.13.2.

Thanks very much cmn699. I really appreciate all your help. Hopefully these posts will help others as well.
Cheers! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back