Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ver 1.1
CPU
i5-3450
Graphics
GT 710
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi all,
I have a HPE-590UK pc with a cleveland gl8 ipisb-ch motherboard.
It is supposed to be dual uefi and legacy and this is visable in the bios.

I have Mountain Lion installed with Multibeast in MBR mode.

I am trying a new install of El Capitan.

What I have discovered is the pc does not like to boot any device formatted in GUID created via a Mac.*
So any usb installer has to be created on a MBR partition.

So I have successfully created a Unibeast El Capitan installer in MBR format. I have installed El Capitan on an SSD drive.

I have installed Multibeast but the SSD drive won't boot as it is a GUID partition.
I can boot the SSD via Clover on the USB installer I created with MBR partition.

I have been working on this for a couple of days now and have come to the conclusion that my pc does not like Mac GUID.
I can get Windows 10 EFI installers to boot via USB or hard drive but I can only get Mac USB installers or hard drives to boot when formatted as MBR.

Any ideas how I can get El Capitan to run via the hard drive on it's own without have to use the Unibeast MBR USB installer?

Regards
Al

* edited. I have checked to confirm if Windows GPT work and they do. I have just installed Windows 10 in EFI mode on a spare disk to test and it is a GUID partition. So the problem seems to be that this motherboard does not understand a Mac created GPT

Last edited:
@althetaff, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Update:
I've managed to get El Capitan installed on a MBR formatted disk by:
Creating a Unibeast El Capitan installer in MBR format
Installing El Capitan in GUID via the installer and completing the installation but always booting via the USB installer
Then I booted into my working Mountain Lion disk and used Superduper to make an image of my El Capitan GUID disk.
Then I formatted the El Capitan disk to MBR format and then restored the image back onto it thus having El Capitan on an MBR SSD.
I then booted one more time via the USB installer and installed Multibeast in Legacy mode and low and behold I have a working Hackintosh with El Capitan in MBR.

The only issue is, I have two Mac OS X disks in this machine ML and El Capitan and the Clover boot loader will boot the first Sata drive and it ignores the boot volume setting in the config. I had to swap the sata cables around to get El Capitan as the first automatic boot.

I guess I have damaged something with this frankenstein installation. I also note that I had to change the system date to 06/03/16 the same date as Multibeast to get the bootloader installed. This is a common problem apparently.

This may help someone with a complicated motherboard :)

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back