CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Because I'd never had any issues before with nVidia cards, I selected a GTX 1050ti for my latest (non-gaming) Hack build. After installing High Sierra and updating to 10.13.6, things seemed to work fine and I was able to edit in Lightroom with essentially no issues. However, after the security updates and subsequent nVidia web driver updates, I am now seeing evidence that both software and hardware acceleration are flaky on the latest two versions of nVidia (or maybe it's the OS updates?). Adobe, as usual, disclaims any responsibility for slowness, but in this case they are probably right.

I have the latest Lightroom Classic and nVidia web drivers installed. Lightroom works OK, but things like switching develop panels, updating film strip icons, zoom, and choosing directories takes a long long time - sometimes half a minute. Other things like adjusting develop values and switching photos are virtually instant. Also, the mouse pointer tends to get stuck in the wrong mode, and the little screen overlay which briefly indicates changes in applied values will often remain on screen after it should have faded out. It looks like the items giving me issues are the same ones which are supposed to depend on GPU acceleration. Switching acceleration OFF in Lightroom speeds some of the operations up slightly, but has no effect on others. No other apps such as FCP, Logic, etc. misbehave.

Is anyone else seeing problems with the latest nVidia drivers? I have a lot of photo work to get done, and this is slowing the workflow significantly. It's almost enough to send me over to AMD because at least there are native OS drivers for some of the cards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back