Contribute
Register

[Solved] KP on boot after using Migration Wizard from TM of Yosemite/Chimera Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU
I-7 6700K
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I'm finally getting around to replacing my 5 year old Z87 based Yosemite, with a new box.

I'm testing on another old POS (Asus 87 and some old video card - actually runs Clover/Sierra), while I wait for my new hardware to arrive.

I'm trying to use the Migration Assistant, to move all my apps/etc, from my old install - from the latest TM backup on my original Yosemite/Chimera box.

When I choose "computer settings", in addition to the "documents & apps" - it gets a KP on boot. If I LEAVE OFF the "computer & network settings", it restores things just fine, and boots without a KP. The issue is that most of my app settings and reg keys don't come over on the transfer, and I can't find a bunch of them.

hack3panic.jpg

While I suppose, with a new box, I'm better off just doing a fresh/clean install - some of the utilities I have, can't be gotten anymore.

This is obviously an issue with old kexts from the Yosemite install. Even if I boot off another clean test drive (that hasn't been migrated), and re-run Multi-Beast to the restored drive - same KP.

I had a similar issue with a friends hack that I built - when it was just cheeper for him to buy a Mac-Mini, than have me build a new hack (he's not a power user). Did a full migration from the hack, and it KP'd on me. Had to re-install his apps, and pull his data folders from the TM backup.

Any ideas how I can ID what's causing the KP - or ID the old kexts delete them? It's been SO LONG since I built the last hack - have no idea which kexts I need to remove to stop the KP.

Thanks - been awhile since I've been on, my 5 year old hack has been SO STABLE, nothing to really add here (too much of a wuss to upgrade the OS on my uber-stable production box).

Rick

Last edited:
No one? Bueler?
Your TM backup is restoring your old system files over the new Sierra ones.

One way around this would be to clone your old drive and then install Sierra over the top of the clone without formatting, thus leaving all of your apps and data intact.

Appreciate the response.

What I did on my test box - was to compare the contents of the s/l/e folder from the old machine.

Hmmmm - there's an idea though - clone the old drive onto the new.

Will the Clover install, overwrite the Chimera kexts and install EFI stuff (oh that's right - the EFI DOESN'T CLONE).

I was going to build on a test drive (I'm in IT, so I have dozens of SSD's laying around), install on the new drive, do the TM restore, then boot the test drive, and use beyond compare to mirror the S/L/E folder from the test - to the restored.

Are there any other places I should be looking for old kexts or files from the Chimera/Yosemite install?

I'll try your clone/upgrade method first - seems like it might be faster - just concerned about it leaving old hack-kexts in the S/L/E folder.

Again thanks for the response. Been awhile since I've been on here - my old build in the avatar bax has been so reliable - there wasn't anything I needed to do.

Funny story - picking up a new MacPro Laptop today (trading in my 2011 13 & 15"). The "Apple Rep", when I mentioned I was running a hack for a desktop, told me "oh, they don't work". Couldn't convince him otherwise.

And I've been doing this for a minute...

acert.jpg

Rick

Are there any other places I should be looking for old kexts or files from the Chimera/Yosemite install?
Your Chimera files are in /Extra on the root of your system drive - You could delete or rename it.
One kext that you definitely should remove is Ev0reboot.kext (from S/L/E) or you will experience a KP at every boot.

Your Chimera files are in /Extra on the root of your system drive - You could delete or rename it.
One kext that you definitely should remove is Ev0reboot.kext (from S/L/E) or you will experience a KP at every boot.

Yeah - that was the case - old kexts.

What I did was load a "test drive", fully booting and configure. Loaded my "production drive", ran my migration - it KP'd. Booted my "test drive" and ran Beyond Compare against SLE on both drives.

Here's what showed up on my on my old drive:
IMG_3293.JPG

Deleted the ones that weren't on my "test drive" - VIOLA! Probably the EVOreboot - but there were a lot of things I didn't need, for hardware I didn't migrate from the old build.

Current Build:

Corsair 300R Silent Case
Corsair RM850X Power Supply
G-Z170X-UD3
Intel Core I7-6700K
Corsair H60 Cooler
64GB Ballistic Sport LT
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (boot)
3X Seagate 6TB Barracuda (12TB RAID 5 with SoftRaid)
Seagate Ironwolf 10TB NAS (for TM)
Newertech MAXPower ESATA 6G Pro PCI (for TM Drive and ESATA Connects)
LG BD-RE BlueRay Burner
LD DVD-R/RW/D Burner
Magic Keyboard w/Keypad
Magic Mouse2
Apogee Duet2 Audio Interface
Ultra (generic) Universal Card Read
Fostex PM2 Mark II Studio Monitors
Fostex PMSubN
Samsung CF328 27" Curve Displays
Lots of FANS (140mm)

I planned to build a more economical box this time around - I plan, G-D laughs his ass off.

Thanks again for the tips.

upload_2017-8-3_10-24-17.png

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back