Contribute
Register

[Solved] Kexts only loading from kexts/other on boot, not Library/Extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a weird problem going on. I read on the forums that it's faster to load installed kexts in the vanilla locations aka S/L/E and L/E. But when I try to install my kexts to those locations it never works. They only load on boot when my kexts are in the kexts/other folder. Could this have something to do with SIP status maybe? Because I have no idea what's going on. I would prefer it when the kexts load from the normal install locations and do not have to be injected in clover every time.
I hope someone can give some info on this.
Thanks!

I have a weird problem going on. I read on the forums that it's faster to load installed kexts in the vanilla locations aka S/L/E and L/E. But when I try to install my kexts to those locations it never works. They only load on boot when my kexts are in the kexts/other folder. Could this have something to do with SIP status maybe? Because I have no idea what's going on. I would prefer it when the kexts load from the normal install locations and do not have to be injected in clover every time.
Thanks!

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Thanks!

You may not have installed the kexts properly.
I used to think that just dropping kexts into the \L\E folder was installing them.
Turned out it was not the proper way of installing kexts, and hence they never loaded.
You need to use a terminal command to install then rebuild your cache.

If you just dragged and dropped kexts into \L\E, try re-installing them properly.

Below are the proper instructions that can be found on the link Rehabman provided.
(Remember to change the directory to where the kexts you want to install are; I like to move the kexts I want to install to the desktop and then run the command: "cd desktop" before running the commands below)

Q. How to install kexts?

There are various kext installers: Kext Beast, Kext Wizard, Kext Utility. I don't recommend any of them.

It is easy to install kexts with Terminal:
Code (Text):

sudo cp -R KextToInstall.kext /Library/Extensions

Or with older OS X (10.10.x and prior):
Code (Text):

sudo cp -R KextToInstall.kext /System/Library/Extensions

And to rebuild cache:
Code (Text):

sudo kextcache -i /

Or with older OS X:
Code (Text):

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Hope this helps!

- Daniel

Last edited:
You may not have installed the kexts properly.
I used to think that just dropping kexts into the \L\E folder was installing them.
Turned out it was not the proper way of installing kexts, and hence they never loaded.
You need to use a terminal command to install then rebuild your cache.

If you just dragged and dropped kexts into \L\E, try re-installing them properly.

Below are the proper instructions that can be found on the link Rehabman provided.
(Remember to change the directory to where the kexts you want to install are; I like to move the kexts I want to install to the desktop and then run the command: "cd desktop" before running the commands below)

Q. How to install kexts?

There are various kext installers: Kext Beast, Kext Wizard, Kext Utility. I don't recommend any of them.

It is easy to install kexts with Terminal:
Code (Text):

sudo cp -R KextToInstall.kext /Library/Extensions

Or with older OS X (10.10.x and prior):
Code (Text):

sudo cp -R KextToInstall.kext /System/Library/Extensions

And to rebuild cache:
Code (Text):

sudo kextcache -i /

Or with older OS X:
Code (Text):

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Hope this helps!

- Daniel

Thanks for the reply Daniel. I'm on the latest High Sierra build and when I try try to rebuild my kext caches i get an error saying that kexts have an invalid signature or something similar. Do I need to disable SIP to be able to use untrusted kexts? As long as I can't rebuild my cache the kexts won't show up, so I'm kinda stuck.

Edit: Got it working by disabling SIP status. Now I can rebuild me cache with unsigned kexts. Then I reboot and enable SIP again. Thanks Daniel!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back