Contribute
Register

[Solved] Kernel Panic running Mojave Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing: The audio is working. For the much, much less tech savvy among us. Here is exactly what I did following CaseySJ instructions. Repeated here:

(CaseySJ)Regarding audio:
  • AppleALC supports ALC887. Have you tried the latest, version 1.3.4: https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/releases
  • From the release notes:
    • Added ALC887 layout-id 52 for Asus PRIME Z270-P by ctich
  • I would try first with Layout ID = 1 in Clover Configurator.
I downloaded from the link above
1.3.4.RELEASE.zip

This updated AppleALC release was posted 5 days ago. Unzipped the file and put the AppleALC.kext on my desktop. (Important Note every kext file present on the desktop will be added to /Library/Extensions.) Put KextBeast.pkg (previously downloaded) on the desktop and ran it selecting /Library/Extensions as the output. But I did not have to select AppleALC.kext, it picked it up from the desktop and ran it automatically.

Then I ran EFI Mounter v3 to mount the EFI partition on the hard drive. Then ran CloverConfigurator (downloaded previously). It found the EFI partition and config.plist file. Opened the file by clicking on it at the bottom of the CloverConfigurator screen. Then checked Devices, then looked for Audio in the Devices window, it is on the top middle of the window. The 1 option was already selected, the other drop down options were no and detect. I did not change anything (or save any changes). Closed Clover Configurator and rebooted. On reboot went to AppleLogo upper left > System Preferences > Sound > Output and selected Internal Speakers.

Tested alerts, played some internet video, the audio works.

This kext was released by vandroiy2013. I'm only beginning to understand the number of community members that are working on all the various aspects of the myriad of builds being done.

A quick word of caution regarding the different memory fix drivers and "slide=0". Most combinations will result in "End Randomseed" or "Couldn't Allocate Runtime Area" or other fatal boot error!

Should this happen (er, when this happens) you'll have to boot from the USB flash disk (BIOS F12 to choose boot volume) and then choose the regular internal Mojave disk.

Cmn699: Ok great, working on your comments.

All the kext files including lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext are in /Library/Extensions. From your post, it looks like I should copy both of these .kext files to the EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other as well. I assume this is just a copy of these 2 kext files as KextBeast only puts the files in the non efi partition.

Since I've now got the audio working, I plan to make all the bios changes you recommend as the next step.

Cmn699:

Adjusted the Bios to your recommendations. Put lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext, and WhateverGreen.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kext/other of boot partition. Also reinstalled lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext using KextBeast to /Library/Extensions. The AppleALC.kext was installed by KextBeast yesterday.

Here is what is happening now:
In all instances the audio now works.
Sometimes on wake from sleep mode the keyboard is not recognized until it is unplugged and plugged back in. The mouse always works
For both VGA (the D-Sub Port) and DVI (the DVI-D Port) outputs either monitor will show the Gigabyte splash screen and then goes to the clover screen (4674) and shows the boot choices. It automatically counts down from 3 and starts to boot Mojave.

VGA: Then using the VGA port it shows the apple splash screen and progress bar. The progress bar goes to about 60-70% and the screen goes blank for a second or so. Then the apple splash screen comes on and the progress bar completes to 100% and Mojave is loaded and functional.

DVI: The apple splash screen shows and progress bar starts to load. The progress bar gets to about 55% and the screen goes blank. Nothing further appears on the screen. But if you unplug the DVI monitor from the DVI port and plug a VGA monitor into the VGA port, it will show that Mojave is loaded and functional.

I've also attached the DPCIManager screen shot.
Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 8.20.37 AM.png

Correction the correct clover version is 4769. This has been tried with 2 DVI monitors with the same result.

Do you have HDMI cable and Monitor with HDMI port to try?

The DVI or DP should work like HDMI but VGA (D-sub) is no longer the way Mac is supposed to work to give the full benefit of its support for Graphics.

Since the DVI does not seem to work, I suspect (no definite proof) that the port's connector on the Video card has some problem having a firm and secure contact for signal transmission. It can be at the Graphics' DVI port or DVI cable.

Take a good look under magnification and good light the condition if needed of the DVI socket on the Intel HD Graphics on the Motherboard to make sure no damage has occurred to the mating surface to effect a secure and firm connection. Tighten the screws if needed until it is firmly connected and then try again.

See if the problem is with the DVI cable?
If the DVI cable and port works OK in Windows or a Live Linux Disc, we can rule out hardware issue.

Last edited:
I tried a hdmi cable and monitor. Got the same result. After it shows the clover screen, it automatically starts the Mojave load with the apple splash screen and status bar. Bar goes to about 55% and the screen goes blank. Mojave still completes loading but all the video outputs are dead except VGA. So it is probably not a hardware issue. My guess at this point that the WhateverGreen.kext which replaced (among others the IntelGraphicsFixup.kext which fixed this type of problem on my prior builds) does not yet have a driver for the Intel UHD Graphics 630 on the Gigabyte H370 HD3 board. But that is just a guess by someone that truly does not know what he is talking about.

I tried a hdmi cable and monitor. Got the same result. After it shows the clover screen, it automatically starts the Mojave load with the apple splash screen and status bar. Bar goes to about 55% and the screen goes blank. Mojave still completes loading but all the video outputs are dead except VGA. So it is probably not a hardware issue. My guess at this point that the WhateverGreen.kext which replaced (among others the IntelGraphicsFixup.kext which fixed this type of problem on my prior builds) does not yet have a driver for the Intel UHD Graphics 630 on the Gigabyte H370 HD3 board. But that is just a guess by someone that truly does not know what he is talking about.
This is the extremely widespread “black screen” problem with the UHD630. This is also the reason we recommend a discrete GPU such as the low cost RX 570 or 580. This forum is full of unsuccessful black screen problem reports, unfortunately. If VGA works and you’re okay with the resolution, that may be your best bet in lieu of buying a discrete GPU. :(

Perhaps the best solution is to find a better Coffee Lake LGA 1151 motherboard where the onboard dvi, hdmi, network, audio and the rest is compatible with the current WhateverGreen.kext and AppleACL.kext for a Mojave installation. If I could contribute anything to this forum it would be a basic build for Mojave that worked out of the box. Of course that would mean I'd have to start from scratch again, but if that's what it is going to take, I'll do it. Any suggestions on motherboards?

Perhaps the best solution is to find a better Coffee Lake LGA 1151 motherboard where the onboard dvi, hdmi, network, audio and the rest is compatible with the current WhateverGreen.kext and AppleACL.kext for a Mojave installation. If I could contribute anything to this forum it would be a basic build for Mojave that worked out of the box. Of course that would mean I'd have to start from scratch again, but if that's what it is going to take, I'll do it. Any suggestions on motherboards?
I actually think that a future release of WhateverGreen might be able to fix the black screen problem. It may be due to a Framebuffer Personality problem. So I wouldn’t change motherboards because the problem isn’t isolated to the board you have; the problem is widespread across many boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back