Contribute
Register

[Solved] Kernel Panic running Mojave Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.
CaseySJ: I got it to work. I've not done much testing yet but, for now it works. Without your assistance and the assistance of cmn669, this never would have happened. In particular, your build instructions at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...nare-z390-thunderbolt-3-with-i7-9700k.267551/
were invaluable. I'm going to write the whole build process up and post it so that others with the same basic hardware can avoid the mistakes I made and go directly to a working build. I'm not sure if I should post the successful build in a separate thread or add it to this thread.

CaseySJ: I got it to work. I've not done much testing yet but, for now it works. Without your assistance and the assistance of cmn669, this never would have happened. In particular, your build instructions at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...nare-z390-thunderbolt-3-with-i7-9700k.267551/
were invaluable. I'm going to write the whole build process up and post it so that others with the same basic hardware can avoid the mistakes I made and go directly to a working build. I'm not sure if I should post the successful build in a separate thread or add it to this thread.
Wonderful!! Congratulations!

Quite a few people have the 370 chipset and 8th Gen CPU. So a separate build guide, I think, might be very helpful. It doesn’t have to be fancy, but it can be very beneficial if there’s a section discussing the various kinds of problems you encountered and how they were fixed.

Last edited:

Congratulations :clap:.
God has endowed us with a powerful brain and helped us to do anything we strive hard to achieve be it building a Hackintosh or going to Moon and safely returning to this Earth. It's all within our reach. We must be resolute and unwavering in our pursuit.
I agree with CaseySJ , write it up with supporting images as a manual for that hardware to help others struggling to reach the same feeling of happiness you felt on signing on to the new Desktop of your brand new Mojave.

Last edited:
I've been able to get the system up and running with the following 2 issues: The DVI output does not work (have not checked the HDVI) but VGA does, and secondly, the audio does not work. It looks like the WhateverGreen.kext does not yet address either of these specific the video or audio issues. The boards built in video is Intel HD 630 and the auto is Realtek ALC887.

That said this is how I go the system to boot:

1. Went back to basics and rechecked everything.
2. Turns out the new motherboard bios was still version 1 so I flashed the bios with the current version 11.
3. Downloaded Mojave 10.14.2 from my apple store account.
4. Used only usb 2 ports for the UniBeast creation and install as well as for the keyboard and mouse (HS09).
5. Formatted the SSD in APFS format using an outside vendor.
6. Then I followed this thread (to the letter) for the install up to and including the MultiBeast installation.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...nare-z390-thunderbolt-3-with-i7-9700k.267551/
However after running MultiBeast I did not do the post installation install files.zip install or the corresponding clover changes as these were designed for the specific build and not my build.

At this point I have vga video, no audio, and the machine reboots instead of shutting down on the shutdown command. However, everything else seems to work: Network and Internet access, printers, email etc.

One note: I used migration assistant but did not transfer the computer or network settings as that will overwrite the settings you just created.

Conclusion: Unlike my prior two builds of Mavericks and Sierra, which were fairly easy, with Mojave, even following the recommended minimum build is very difficult. Without the help of CaseySJ and cmn699, I would not have gotten anything to even boot.

I've been able to get the system up and running with the following 2 issues: The DVI output does not work (have not checked the HDVI) but VGA does, and secondly, the audio does not work. It looks like the WhateverGreen.kext does not yet address either of these specific the video or audio issues. The boards built in video is Intel HD 630 and the auto is Realtek ALC887.

That said this is how I go the system to boot:

1. Went back to basics and rechecked everything.
2. Turns out the new motherboard bios was still version 1 so I flashed the bios with the current version 11.
3. Downloaded Mojave 10.14.2 from my apple store account.
4. Used only usb 2 ports for the UniBeast creation and install as well as for the keyboard and mouse (HS09).
5. Formatted the SSD in APFS format using an outside vendor.
6. Then I followed this thread (to the letter) for the install up to and including the MultiBeast installation.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...nare-z390-thunderbolt-3-with-i7-9700k.267551/
However after running MultiBeast I did not do the post installation install files.zip install or the corresponding clover changes as these were designed for the specific build and not my build.

At this point I have vga video, no audio, and the machine reboots instead of shutting down on the shutdown command. However, everything else seems to work: Network and Internet access, printers, email etc.

One note: I used migration assistant but did not transfer the computer or network settings as that will overwrite the settings you just created.

Conclusion: Unlike my prior two builds of Mavericks and Sierra, which were fairly easy, with Mojave, even following the recommended minimum build is very difficult. Without the help of CaseySJ and cmn699, I would not have gotten anything to even boot.

At this point I have vga video, no audio, and the machine reboots instead of shutting down on the shutdown command

Attachments

• 1.BIOS_Peripherals.png
    1.BIOS_Peripherals.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 2.BIOS_Chipset.png
    2.BIOS_Chipset.png
    213 KB · Views: 119
  • 3.Power.png
    3.Power.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 4.DPCI Manager.png
    4.DPCI Manager.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 132
Regarding audio:
  • AppleALC supports ALC887. Have you tried the latest, version 1.3.4: https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/releases
  • From the release notes:
    • Added ALC887 layout-id 52 for Asus PRIME Z270-P by ctich
  • I would try first with Layout ID = 1 in Clover Configurator.
Regarding Shutdown/Reboot:
  • Have you tried the different memory fix drivers (OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, OsxAptioFix2Drv, OsxAptioFixDrv, ...) with and without "slide=0"? On this motherboard you may or may not need "EmuVariableUEFI-64" -- it would a good idea to search for EmuVariable + H370.

Attachments

• 1.BIOS_Peripherals_Initial Display Output.png
    1.BIOS_Peripherals_Initial Display Output.png
    684.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 2.Chipset _WOL.png
    2.Chipset _WOL.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 3.Power ErP.png
    3.Power ErP.png
    702.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 1.kexts_Other.png
    1.kexts_Other.png
    56 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
config.plist _Rt variables_CsrActiveConfig is now 0x30 , change that to 0x67

Current DPCIManager shows No RealTekALC.

After CLOVER edit as above, repeat that same DPCIManager check and upload screen shot.

config.plist _Rt variables_CsrActiveConfig is now 0x30 , change that to 0x67

Current DPCIManager shows No RealTekALC.

After CLOVER edit as above, repeat that same DPCIManager check and upload screen shot.
I noted that in the kexts/Other I forgot to type in AppleALC.kext

You should also install the kexts in the Other Folder to the System hard disk using KextBeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back