Contribute
Register

[Solved] Kernel Panic running Mojave Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't thank the community members enough that have taken the time to help me with my build.

In answer to cmm699:

After it reboots it does go to Clover Boot Manager (CBM) 4674 and shows 3 drive/partition options External (Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Mojave), HFS (Boot macOS Install from Mojave) and Recovery (Boot Recovery from Recovery HD). Below those options are the standard clover options: Start UEFI Shell 64 to Exit Clover.

I am going to edit the config list as you recommend (all your recommendations), delete all the partitions on the SSD and reformat the SSD drive as APFS. Then retry. If that does not work, then I will substitute the XHCI-300-series-injector.kext you provided and retry.

In answer to CaseySJ:

The size of the USB is 32gb. I have always used a usb2 port for this install. However I used the USB2 ports in the front of the case and have now switched the USB to the Group 1 port.

If after I've tried all of cmm699's recommendations, and I still can't get it to work, I'll try your config.plist and the the current XHCI-unsupported.kext while keeping the APFS SSD format.

This will take me awhile to go through all these options, and I'll post the results.

Many thanks to both of you.

I had a similar problem with one of my Mojave installs on a very difficult MoBo (for all my macOS installation GA-X79-UP4 was a hard nut to crack) and you can see the entire write up with some images here->https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...uldnt-be-completed-error.266897/#post-1870973

In your case, if you reboot that same macOS Mojave System Disk (not the Mojave Installer USB) from the CBM screen , it may go on to another few more "XX minutes remaining" (like 12 minutes remaining) and do the same reboot. The Mojave Installation should have finished really in 35-45 minutes, but may drag on to 4-5 hours, on each reboot inching toward the marathon finish line. It may even end in a "False ERROR" as in my case and shown as the TITLE of my post.

But when I saw that sort of an abrupt final end with an error the 3rd time, instead of shutting down, I rebooted and went to CBM screen and booted the 'half-baked system disk' and to my pleasant surprise it booted this time to Language and Region selection screen....>....> ----> Desktop!

On another occasion before the above incident for somewhat similar case, I booted and entered the Recovery Partition >Reinstall macOS > Full install! Unfortunately I did not have my Camera near by to record that case in that different Motherboard to publish it to the Forum.
This is the reason for my question about how that Boot ended for you. Glad you answered it.

My advice to all is to have a Camera Ready and boot in Verbose and capture images. It is teaching/learning tool and can get us speedy help from a Forum if shared with the readers who might have seen something similar but never shared before but can still help from their experience. It will also add to our knowledge base through this Forum if properly documented.

I've now done 4 different install tries using every combination of the 2 config.plist files provided above and the XHCI-unsupported.kext and xhci-300-series-injector.kext. All of these failed at the same point: 2 minutes or less remaining of the copy of the install files from the usb disk to the ssd. At the start of each try the SSD was formatted as apfs. They all failed at the same way and place. I've attached screen shots showing the progress starting with the Clover page and the two error pages (images 4 & 5 below). In each case the SSD showed 6.44GB had been transferred to the SSD before failure.

Right now I'm set up to use the config.plist supplied by CaseySJ as it did not appear to show any errors in the installation process prior to the errors shown in the images I've uploaded below. I'm also using the XHCI-unsupported.kext so that if and when this problem can be cracked, I can post the exact specs needed to make this install work from the currently available kext.

Here are the screen images in order with the kext folder image at the bottom. Each installation started with the external drive, then the ssd was formatted APFS and then the install from the USB to the SSD was started. At the very end of this process it always fails.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
IMG_2620.jpg
IMG_2636.jpg
IMG_2651.jpg
IMG_2652.jpg
IMG_2654.jpg
IMG_2662.jpg

I've now done 4 different install tries using every combination of the 2 config.plist files provided above and the XHCI-unsupported.kext and xhci-300-series-injector.kext. All of these failed at the same point: 2 minutes or less remaining of the copy of the install files from the usb disk to the ssd. At the start of each try the SSD was formatted as apfs. They all failed at the same way and place. I've attached screen shots showing the progress starting with the Clover page and the two error pages (images 4 & 5 below). In each case the SSD showed 6.44GB had been transferred to the SSD before failure.

Right now I'm set up to use the config.plist supplied by CaseySJ as it did not appear to show any errors in the installation process prior to the errors shown in the images I've uploaded below. I'm also using the XHCI-unsupported.kext so that if and when this problem can be cracked, I can post the exact specs needed to make this install work from the currently available kext.

Here are the screen images in order with the kext folder image at the bottom. Each installation started with the external drive, then the ssd was formatted APFS and then the install from the USB to the SSD was started. At the very end of this process it always fails.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
View attachment 373474 View attachment 373475 View attachment 373476 View attachment 373477 View attachment 373478 View attachment 373479

• Since you are getting a KP and the backtrace com.apple.kec.pthread is not something I have seen and dealt with before I cannot say what should be your EXACT next step.

• However your Uploaded CLOVER/kexts/Other shows Ethernet kexts that you don't need.
  • Your motherboard has Intel GbE LAN and the IntelMausiEthernet.kext in "Other" should take care of that.
    • I suggest removing Atheros2200Ethernet.kext and RealtekRTL8111.kext from that folder.
  • If you have any other hardware other than your MoBo+CPU+ the Integrated Intel HD 630 , LAN and Audio and the target SSD and the Mojave UEFI USB Installer Disk, I suggest removing them all during this install to remove the chance of them causing a KP.

I've removed the suggested kexts. There is no other hardware installed except the mouse and keyboard. I'll try this version later today. Thanks.
Have you tried ignoring this error and then choosing the 3rd boot option in your Clover screenshot "Boot macOS Install from Mojave"? The kernel panic often happens because Shutdown/Reboot does not work until post-installation modifications have been made.

Tried these alternatives. Same result. I'm going back to the very start and rebuild the USB installer from scratch and then implement the suggestions above and give it one last try. Mojave is an order of magnitude more difficult that my prior Mavericks and Sierra installations.

If you’re going to start from scratch, consider going thru the build guide for the Z390 Gigabyte. Post installation will be different, but most of phase 1 (just getting Mojave installed) should apply to your configuration. It would be good to read the rest of the thread to see all the problems faced by others and how those problems were resolved.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...nare-z390-thunderbolt-3-with-i7-9700k.267551/

One more thing (should have asked yesterday):

When 2 Minutes Remaining message appears and system appears to crash:

1. Reboot machine
2. Press F12 and boot from the USB
3. At Clover screen, press Spacebar and ensure Verbose flag is set
4. Choose the disk icon labeled: Boot macOS Install from Mojave
5. Any errors or crashes during this second stage?

If I try to boot the Install from Mojave, the screen shows 13-14 minutes remaining and then panics. As I recall, it shows the same kernel panic messages but I'll have to recheck. Right now I'm following the thread you suggested of

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...nare-z390-thunderbolt-3-with-i7-9700k.267551/

Downloading everything (including Mojave from the app store), are rebuilding from scratch using a new USB.

Okay, please continue with the new install. Some owners of H370 boards have seen good results with OsxAptioFixDrv.efi instead of the others, so if you encounter errors during installation, also try replacing AptioMemoryFix-64.efi with one of these alternative memory fixers (on USB EFI partition).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back