CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
RX 550
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is my third Hackintosh build. The first two (Mavericks and Sierra) took a bit to figure out but worked eventually. This one has got me at a dead stop. Following exactly the recommended budget ATX purchase and the install guide for Mojave this is what I've got so far:

At step 4 (all prior steps went ok) on the UniBeast: Install macOs Mojave on any supported Intel-based PC. Step 4.6 For a new installation I reformatted the ssd and labeled it Mojave, then step 4.7 installed to Mojave. Step 4.11 chose Mojave. Then it gets as far as the white screen: Installing macOS, Installing on Mojave, about 15 minutes remaining. Then it hangs and reboots within a minute.

I've installed these current kext from this site in EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other: Lilu.kext, USBInjectAll.kext, WhateverGreen.kext. I've tried to boot without USBInjectAll.kext and the mouse goes dead. I've tried to boot with and without Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext and it makes no difference. Otherwise the kext are the ones loaded by the Clover UEFI booter/installer.

Running the -v mode for clover the final error message is: panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff8022b3245): "TLB invalidation IPI timeout, unresponsive CPU bitmap: 0x8, NMIPI asks: 0x0, now: 0x1, deadline: 175017561228" @/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-4903.201.2/osfmk/x86_64/pmap.c:2837
Backtrace (CPU 2), Frame : Return Address.

System Specs: (this is the recommended budget atx system)
Gigabyte H370 HD3
CPU i3-8100 (LGA1151)
8GB Corsair DDR4 1x8bg 2400MHz
SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Motherboard settings: (all as recommended by the install guide)
Mit: Defaults
System: Defaults
Bios:
Disable Fast Boot, CSM Support, Secure Boot
(this motherboard does not have a selection for Other Operating System)
Boot Option 1: UEFI PNY USB 3.0 FD PMAP, Partition 1
Peripherals:
Serial & Parallel ports disabled
USB: Legacy Enabled, XHCI Hand-off Enabled
Chipset:
VT-d Disabled

I've spent days trying to get this system up, without any success. I think there is probably a critical kext that needs to be installed, but after reading all the likely posts and treads, can't figure this out.

Any help would be most appreciated.

@jbldr, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card(s).
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard.
The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you.

This is my third Hackintosh build. The first two (Mavericks and Sierra) took a bit to figure out but worked eventually. This one has got me at a dead stop. Following exactly the recommended budget ATX purchase and the install guide for Mojave this is what I've got so far:

At step 4 (all prior steps went ok) on the UniBeast: Install macOs Mojave on any supported Intel-based PC. Step 4.6 For a new installation I reformatted the ssd and labeled it Mojave, then step 4.7 installed to Mojave. Step 4.11 chose Mojave. Then it gets as far as the white screen: Installing macOS, Installing on Mojave, about 15 minutes remaining. Then it hangs and reboots within a minute.

I've installed these current kext from this site in EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other: Lilu.kext, USBInjectAll.kext, WhateverGreen.kext. I've tried to boot without USBInjectAll.kext and the mouse goes dead. I've tried to boot with and without Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext and it makes no difference. Otherwise the kext are the ones loaded by the Clover UEFI booter/installer.

Running the -v mode for clover the final error message is: panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff8022b3245): "TLB invalidation IPI timeout, unresponsive CPU bitmap: 0x8, NMIPI asks: 0x0, now: 0x1, deadline: 175017561228" @/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-4903.201.2/osfmk/x86_64/pmap.c:2837
Backtrace (CPU 2), Frame : Return Address.

System Specs: (this is the recommended budget atx system)
Gigabyte H370 HD3
CPU i3-8100 (LGA1151)
8GB Corsair DDR4 1x8bg 2400MHz
SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Motherboard settings: (all as recommended by the install guide)
Mit: Defaults
System: Defaults
Bios:
Disable Fast Boot, CSM Support, Secure Boot
(this motherboard does not have a selection for Other Operating System)
Boot Option 1: UEFI PNY USB 3.0 FD PMAP, Partition 1
Peripherals:
Serial & Parallel ports disabled
USB: Legacy Enabled, XHCI Hand-off Enabled
Chipset:
VT-d Disabled

I've spent days trying to get this system up, without any success. I think there is probably a critical kext that needs to be installed, but after reading all the likely posts and treads, can't figure this out.

Any help would be most appreciated.

in the Guide where it says
6. For a new installation of macOS, you MUST erase and format the destination drive according to the following steps before continuing.
e. For Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
try choosing APFS and begin the installation on that SSD Partitioned in GUID and formatted in APFS

• Your CLOVER/kexts/Other MUST have the latest : Lilu.kext, USBInjectAll.kext, WhateverGreen.kext as well as XHCI-300-series-injector.kext, your Ethernet. kext and of course the MOST IMPORTANT FakeSMC.kext (latest)
  • Make sure you have your BIOS Graphics related options in Peripherals and Chipset are appropriate for your Intel HD 630 Graphics and your CLOVER/config.plist_ Devices and CLOVER_config.plist_Graphics are properly edited to use the Intel GFx.
  • Make sure the Monitor is connected to HDMI via HDMI cable

in the Guide where it says try choosing APFS and begin the installation on that SSD Partitioned in GUID and formatted in APFS

• Your CLOVER/kexts/Other MUST have the latest : Lilu.kext, USBInjectAll.kext, WhateverGreen.kext as well as XHCI-300-series-injector.kext, your Ethernet. kext and of course the MOST IMPORTANT FakeSMC.kext (latest)
  • Make sure you have your BIOS Graphics related options in Peripherals and Chipset are appropriate for your Intel HD 630 Graphics and your CLOVER/config.plist_ Devices and CLOVER_config.plist_Graphics are properly edited to use the Intel GFx.
  • Make sure the Monitor is connected to HDMI via HDMI cable
Thank you. Will retry using APFS as you suggest. All my kext are the latest version as posted on this site. I do not have XHCI-300-series-injector.kext installed. Will find and install.

If I'm not mistaken, functionality of XHCI-300-series-injector.kext has been moved into the all-inclusive XHCI-unsupported.kext, which is downloadable from this link. Unzip the file, then open the folder and copy just the one file circled in red (see attached image) to your EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other folder.

Note that this kext supports 300-series chipsets:
Code:
<key>AppleUSBXHCISPT 300</key>
        <dict>
            <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
            <string>com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCIPCI</string>
            <key>IOClass</key>
            <string>AppleUSBXHCISPT</string>
            <key>IOPCIPauseCompatible</key>
            <true/>
            <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
            <string>0x9ded8086 0xa36d8086</string>
            <key>IOPCITunnelCompatible</key>
            <true/>
            <key>IOProbeScore</key>
            <integer>900</integer>
            <key>IOProviderClass</key>
            <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
        </dict>

Attachments

• XHCI-Unsupported.png
    XHCI-Unsupported.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 385
  • Consolidated.png
    Consolidated.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 307
The XHCI-300-series-injector.kext no longer exists in the download OS-X-USB-Inject-All-master.zip (and everywhere I searched, the results always pointed back to this same zip file). So per your suggestion I installed XHCI-unsupported.kext to EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other and rebooted. Same result, it hangs and then reboots as the white apple screen that says 'Installing on Mojave about 15 minutes remaining'. Mojave is the partition name I gave to the SSD.

I now have loaded the following current kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other : Lilu.kext, USBInjectAll.kext, WhateverGreen.kext, XHCI-unsupported.kext. I have not made any changes to the config.plist installed by Clover (which I have attached).

So next I'm going to try a prior suggestion of erasing and reformatting the SSD using the APSF format and try again without changing the above kext list or config.plist. If that does not work, I'm going back to the very beginning with a blank USB drive and a blank SSD and start it all over from scratch while implementing all the suggestions in this thread.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.4 KB · Views: 204
The XHCI-300-series-injector.kext no longer exists in the download OS-X-USB-Inject-All-master.zip (and everywhere I searched, the results always pointed back to this same zip file). So per your suggestion I installed XHCI-unsupported.kext to EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other and rebooted. Same result, it hangs and then reboots as the white apple screen that says 'Installing on Mojave about 15 minutes remaining'. Mojave is the partition name I gave to the SSD.

I now have loaded the following current kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other : Lilu.kext, USBInjectAll.kext, WhateverGreen.kext, XHCI-unsupported.kext. I have not made any changes to the config.plist installed by Clover (which I have attached).

So next I'm going to try a prior suggestion of erasing and reformatting the SSD using the APSF format and try again without changing the above kext list or config.plist. If that does not work, I'm going back to the very beginning with a blank USB drive and a blank SSD and start it all over from scratch while implementing all the suggestions in this thread.

Same result, it hangs and then reboots as the white apple screen that says 'Installing on Mojave about 15 minutes remaining'. Mojave is the partition name I gave to the SSD.
  • Your post does not say anything about the fate of the verbose boot screen after it reboots.
  • Is the next screen that it stops CBM?
  • How many icons you see on CBM screen?
  • A screen shot of Clover Boot Manager would have been the perfect spokesperson for this scenario.
XHCI-unsupported.kext per Rehabman should work. I am uploading XHCI-300-series-injector.kext from my USB Installer I had saved before if you want to try that.

It is not really appropriate to comment on the adequacy of config.plist without correlating it with the contents of CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and /CLOVER/kexts/Other and ACPI folders which it loads in certain sequence during the boot. We are making the assumptions all of them are appropriately made and all that the config.plist has to do is to follow its configuration.

I checked config.plist.

Your config.plist_Rt Variables_CsrActiveConfig must be changed from current value of 0x3 to 0x67 to Disable SIP to allow loading of Non-apple kexts to help with hardware use in Hackintosh.

The next suggestion may raise eye brows of some readers and is my own personal way and you may take it or leave.

In
config.plst _Devices _Fake ID _ Intel GFx box instead of 12345678 for the Intel HD Graphics 630, I type in 59128086
In config.plist _Graphics
in addition to [√]Injecte Intel you have already used, I type in ig-platform id [59120000]

• Save the edited config.plist.
  • As I indicated in my earlier post, Format the SSD as APFS (NOT HFS+J) for Mojave Installation

If I can see the CBM screen shot following the 15 Minutes remaining Freeze, I may have more to suggest.

Attachments

• XHCI-300-series-injector.kext.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 150
@jbldr -- some quick questions:
  1. You said you're using a PNY USB 3.0 flash disk. What is the size (capacity) of the disk?
  2. Which USB port is it plugged into? Please refer to the attached diagram. Have you tried plugging it into Group 1 ports?
  3. I've also modified your config.plist and renamed it. No guarantees this will work, but feel free to backup your current file and replace with this (of course rename it to config.plist). This one includes Rehabman's DSDT patches for renaming XHC1 to XHC, which might help with USBInjectAll. It also has verbose enabled and CsrActiveConfig set to 0x67 as suggested by cmn699.
Note that these troubleshooting guidelines are assuming that your USB flash disk cannot be read by the Mojave installer during the second phase of installation. This is a fairly common problem if you don't use a USB 2.0 port. Typically this results in a garbled screen with the error "Waiting for root device". We're not sure exactly what error you're seeing, but we're still assuming it is related to the USB disk and/or USB port.

Attachments

• H370-HD3.jpg
    H370-HD3.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 339
  • jbldr-config.plist
    6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
I can't thank the community members enough that have taken the time to help me with my build.

In answer to cmm699:

After it reboots it does go to Clover Boot Manager (CBM) 4674 and shows 3 drive/partition options External (Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Mojave), HFS (Boot macOS Install from Mojave) and Recovery (Boot Recovery from Recovery HD). Below those options are the standard clover options: Start UEFI Shell 64 to Exit Clover.

I am going to edit the config list as you recommend (all your recommendations), delete all the partitions on the SSD and reformat the SSD drive as APFS. Then retry. If that does not work, then I will substitute the XHCI-300-series-injector.kext you provided and retry.

In answer to CaseySJ:

The size of the USB is 32gb. I have always used a usb2 port for this install. However I used the USB2 ports in the front of the case and have now switched the USB to the Group 1 port.

If after I've tried all of cmm699's recommendations, and I still can't get it to work, I'll try your config.plist and the the current XHCI-unsupported.kext while keeping the APFS SSD format.

This will take me awhile to go through all these options, and I'll post the results.

Many thanks to both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back