Contribute
Register

[solved] Just finished a fresh install on new 4540s and have a couple questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished a fresh install on new 4540s and have a couple questions...

So I've been messing around with it today a little bit trying to narrow things down, and I think I narrowed down what it is. When I unplug my USB wi-fi dongle, and it goes to sleep, it wakes just fine. Well it doesn't wake up but when I open the laptop, the power button is blinking, which I think means it's sleeping.

Prior to that, the actual power light would be lit up but the screen was black. But when I take the dongle out, and it goes to sleep, the light turns off and blinks white every few seconds. Then I press it once and it turns back on.

So it seems that the sleep issue I'm having actually has to do with the usb dongle being in use when it sleeps and causing some conflict or something.

Is there any specific wi-fi card that is recommended? I'll just snag one off of amazon this week at some point.

Just finished a fresh install on new 4540s and have a couple questions...

So I've been messing around with it today a little bit trying to narrow things down, and I think I narrowed down what it is. When I unplug my USB wi-fi dongle, and it goes to sleep, it wakes just fine. Well it doesn't wake up but when I open the laptop, the power button is blinking, which I think means it's sleeping.

Prior to that, the actual power light would be lit up but the screen was black. But when I take the dongle out, and it goes to sleep, the light turns off and blinks white every few seconds. Then I press it once and it turns back on.

So it seems that the sleep issue I'm having actually has to do with the usb dongle being in use when it sleeps and causing some conflict or something.

Well, that explains it. New rule for sleep troubleshooting: Disconnect/remove all external devices.

Either bad drivers for your USB WiFi, or you can check in different USB ports. Perhaps try in a USB2 port so you're not attaching via GenericUSBXHCI (it is new and could still have bugs).

Is there any specific wi-fi card that is recommended? I'll just snag one off of amazon this week at some point.

See the FAQ.

Well, that explains it. New rule for sleep troubleshooting: Disconnect/remove all external devices.

Either bad drivers for your USB WiFi, or you can check in different USB ports. Perhaps try in a USB2 port so you're not attaching via GenericUSBXHCI (it is new and could still have bugs).

See the FAQ.

I guess it's the GenericUSBXHCI problem.
I had the same problem with sleep and it is fixed by removing all peripherals from the USB3 ports.
Hope this will be fixed in the near future.

I guess it's the GenericUSBXHCI problem.
I had the same problem with sleep and it is fixed by removing all peripherals from the USB3 ports.
Hope this will be fixed in the near future.

You might try the latest GenericUSBXHCI from Zenith432. See what happens then.

And try to nail it down to just one specific device. Perhaps you can get dumps to Zenith and he can investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back