Contribute
Register

[Solved] Issue after using MultBeast (NVME drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z170A M7
CPU
Graphics
MSI GTX 1080
MSI Z170A M7
MSI GTX 1080
Samsung 960 Pro

I have followed RehabMan's NVME guide and was able to boot via USB and install Sierra 10.12.5 on to the drive. After the install completed, I ran MultiBeast and only installed clover. I then copied the files from RehabMan's NVME guide from the USB to the new installation. After rebooting, I'm not able to boot to the NVME drive, from both clover installed on the NVME drive as well as from USB.

When booting with verbose, I get a jumbled screen with the stop sign.

Does anyone know a fix?

Screenshots attached of right before I get the stop sign.
IMG_20170521_125038.jpg

IMG_20170521_124920.jpg

Oops, posted in Guides. Can someone move this to the appropriate place?

MSI Z170A M7
MSI GTX 1080
Samsung 960 Pro

I have followed RehabMan's NVME guide and was able to boot via USB and install Sierra 10.12.5 on to the drive. After the install completed, I ran MultiBeast and only installed clover. I then copied the files from RehabMan's NVME guide from the USB to the new installation. After rebooting, I'm not able to boot to the NVME drive, from both clover installed on the NVME drive as well as from USB.

When booting with verbose, I get a jumbled screen with the stop sign.

Does anyone know a fix?

Screenshots attached of right before I get the stop sign.
View attachment 256364

View attachment 256363

Sounds like you forgot to set EFI/Clover as guide (SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml, HackrNVMeFamily in Clover/kexts/Other, _DSM->XDSM patch in config.plist).

And you will also need to install HackrNVMeFamily to the system volume.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I had copied SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml and HackrNVMeFamily from the USB/EFI to NVMEDrive/EFI and made the _DSM->XDSM config.plist patch in NVMEDrive/EFI/Clover.

I did forget this step. I just read through the guide again and moving HackrNVMeFamily file to Clover was just for USB and installation. I'll install again and be sure to copy HackrNVMeFamily to /Library/Extensions. Will report back.
Code:
cd ~/Projects/patch-nvme.git
sudo cp -R HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_2.kext /Library/Extensions

Still getting the jumbled screen with the stop sign... :thumbdown

When you say "EFI/Clover as guide", what does that exactly mean? Sorry, I'm new to hackintoshes..

Still getting the jumbled screen with the stop sign... :thumbdown

Read NVMe guide, post #1, "Problem Reporting".

When you say "EFI/Clover as guide", what does that exactly mean? Sorry, I'm new to hackintoshes..

You must configure HDD/SSD EFI/Clover just as you did for USB EFI/Clover.

Seems that I made an embarrassing error, but will post what I did wrong incase someone else does the same mistake...

Instead of:
Code:

I had ran:
Code:
sudo cp -R HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_2.kext/ /Library/Extensions
(an extra "/" after the file name)

I had used the tab complete for the HackrNVMeFamily file name, which added an extra "/" at the end. The contents of the .kext file was copied, not the .kext file itself.

Seems that I made an embarrassing error, but will post what I did wrong incase someone else does the same mistake...

Instead of:
Code:

I had ran:
Code:
sudo cp -R HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_2.kext/ /Library/Extensions
(an extra "/" after the file name)

I had used the tab complete for the HackrNVMeFamily file name, which added an extra "/" at the end. The contents of the .kext file was copied, not the .kext file itself.

Had you rebuild cache (after your attempted install):
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

...the problem would have been obvious... since kextcache would not have listed the kext you just installed...

When installing kexts, always check your work by rebuilding cache....

...the problem would have been obvious... since kextcache would not have listed the kext you just installed...

When installing kexts, always check your work by rebuilding cache....

I did run "sudo kextcache -i /" at one point during one of the installs. However as this is pretty much my first hackintosh, I didn't know what output to check. But going forward I'll be sure to always rebuild the cache after installing kexts.

Anyway, I got the machine all setup with the new drive. Thanks RehabMan for putting that NVME guide together, as well as responding here. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back