Contribute
Register

[Solved] IOProviderClass error USB install / No partition via upgrade option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Gaming 7 X99
CPU
I7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Graphics
Geforce GTX 1080TI
Hello all,

So I've had the previous versions of OSX on the hardware working, all the way back to Yosemite, however High Sierra seems to want to put up a fight.

1) I have the 5.18GB file downloaded, upon running the install for direct upgrade it says that it needs to reboot, however upon reboot there is no install option (partition?) in clover to select, just the usual ones which lead to me logging back into Sierra as normal.

2) Fast forward to running out of ideas for #1, it loads some of the kexts and fakesmc, etc, however I get the IOProviderClass rooting on device (long device id) error, at which point the the USB seems to die, after a few minutes of this I get the OSX circle with a line through it and that's the end of that.

I've tried adding the X99 USB Inject kext and making sure USB inject and ownership are checked/unchecked, along with all of the possible options combining the three options and I've tried every single USB port in the machine. I have also created the Installer USB three times, each on different USB sticks of different brands.

The BIOS settings are exactly the same as when i last installed Sierra.

If anyone could shed some light on the above issue(s) with the direct upgrade being most favourable please do chime in!

Many thanks.

No suggestions on either? :<... there must be a fix for one of the above surely.

I am confused. Are you able to find the 'install macOS High Sierra from <USB>' boot option in clover or not? Note that the clover boot screen is awful about telling you there are more options to the right (or left). If you just hit right-arrow, does the list scroll to the right, exposing new options?

If you built the USB stick with UniBeast for High Sierra, it should have built a stick that uses USBInjectAll.kext and apfs.efi, but you would want to verify that you have USBInjectAll.kext in kexts/other, and apfs.efi in drivers64UEFI. UniBeast deliberately builds a stick that is supposed to work but not be optimal (USBInjectAll is not optimal). You should not have to change anything. If you build the stick and look at it in your Sierra system, it should have the 'Install macOS High Sierra' app on it (and be the 5GB in size), and if you go to terminal and 'distutil list' you should see the stick has an EFI partition.

That being ok, it's gotta be some BIOS setting. Save your current BIOS, load optimized defaults, make sure SATA is AHCI and your XCHI and EXHI handoffs are good (enabled is the general optimal value), F12 to boot the stick, make sure to select UEFI boot mode (not the P0: USB stick option), and at the clover boot screen arrow to the right to see if the 'install macOS High Sierra from <stick>' is there.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't come back to you yesterday, I was leak testing a new custom loop so the machine was off.

After some messing around and for other people's reference should they have similar hardware, I thought I would add the fix. I added slide=0 dart=0 and darkwake=0 which actually allowed me to boot to the installer and all seemed to work just fine from there, I did elect for the fresh install rather than the upgrade option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back