CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Pushing the limits of my old P45 Gigabyte motherboard.

I was previously running a desktop Q8300 2.5GHz quad core and my system was booting El Cap 10.11.3 perfectly with no issues.

Wanted to see if I could get a speed increase, so I recently bought a Xeon X5470 CPU from an ebay seller (the fastest CPU available for this motherboard). This required a slight modification of the CPU socket (removal of plastic tabs) so that the socket 771 Xeon CPU would fit into the 775 socket. Also, the BIOS needed to be upgraded so that the Xeon CPU would be properly recognized. All this went well, and the CPU seems to be working properly.

Clover versions prior to the most recent release (3346) incorrectly read the X5470 as only having 1 core, and 4 threads. This has now been fixed in 3346 (shows properly as 4 cores and 4 threads)

My problem is that El Cap will only boot with 1 core enabled (boot argument cpus=1). When all 4 cores are enabled, the system boots past what can be seen in verbose mode, and hangs on the dreaded black screen of death just prior to loading the desktop. How do I troubleshoot this kind of hang? Can't seem to find the log in the console.app

When booted with only one core enabled, El Cap boots normally and sees the CPU as 3.33GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon.

Here's what I've tried:
Resetting CMOS
Disabling all C states, thermal control, and intel virtualization in the BIOS
FakeSMC - This motherboard requires it to boot. Using latest version (6.18.1394)
NullCPUPowerManagement is installed. Eliminating it causes kernel panic.
FakeCPUID in clover, almost every setting I could try
SMBIOS. Only 3,1 or 14,2 will boot this motherboard (Using 3,1). Nothing else works.
Custom DSDT - Using the one posted here in downloads for Gigabyte EP45-UD3L 1.1 F9
Custom SSDT - SSDTPRGen doesn't recognize the CPU, can't seem to figure out how to generate one
CPU Patches in clover. Nothing works.

Note, Windows 10 boots with this CPU installed, so the CPU itself is definitely not defective.

Perhaps generating a custom SSDT is my answer here? Can't figure out how to do it in SSDTPRGen.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Intel Xeon X5470 only boots El Cap with 1 core enabled

good luck, have to use that kext on my Dell Precision system (Xeon as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back