Motherboard
DELL Inspiron 15 7560 (CLOVER)
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620/GT 940mx
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
When running some application sometimes weird graphics glitches happens, I noticed it in Gimp and Libre Office Writer.
In Gimp as shown in attached screenshot, it displays some lines across the working image.
In Writer I noticed some letters out of place(coming out of it's supposed line), but in bot cases, as soon as I hit save, it refreshes and "fixes" it.

Attachments

• debug_8730.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 17.19.10.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 17.19.10.png
    384.3 KB · Views: 99
When running some application sometimes weird graphics glitches happens, I noticed it in Gimp and Libre Office Writer.
In Gimp as shown in attached screenshot, it displays some lines across the working image.
In Writer I noticed some letters out of place(coming out of it's supposed line), but in bot cases, as soon as I hit save, it refreshes and "fixes" it.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Attachments

• debug_8730.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
Weird, I can see it attached on the first post, can't you?

When I read the post, only the images were there.

anyway, I'm attaching it again here

Your profile is missing important details. No screen resolution in Graphics. No laptop make/model in Motherboard.
Please fix as per FAQ:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

You did not implement backlight control correctly.
See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

Your glitches may be caused by inadequate DVMT-prealloc (higher resolutions usually require higher DVMT-prealloc),... you're patching for 32mb DVMT-prealloc with IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext. Better to set DVMT-prealloc to at least 64MB and avoid patching.

You may also want to try other ig-platform-id values (such as 0x591b0000).

You mean the missing AppleBacklightInjector.kext?
If so I wasn't using it because brightness control worked without so I thought I wouldn't need it, added it now anyway.
If I'm wrong just tell me again and I'll search the thread again for the sections I kinda skipped(like nvram and some other)

Your glitches may be caused by inadequate DVMT-prealloc (higher resolutions usually require higher DVMT-prealloc),... you're patching for 32mb DVMT-prealloc with IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext. Better to set DVMT-prealloc to at least 64MB and avoid patching.

I tried following a guide by @missile0407 who has the same laptop model to set dvmt-prealloc.
I was able to set 0x785 to 0x2 which is supposed to be 64mb for dvmt-prealloc.
Yet when I tried to boot after setting it, I couldn't boot normally.
I still could boot on safe mode and recovery. I tried to remove IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext from efi/clover/kexts but no luck.
The last visible text in verbose mode(before it enters crazy fast scrolling mode and reboots) is "VoodooGPI0Sunri", as can be seen in photo.

(I have setted 0x785 back to 0x1 which means 32mb for dvmt-prealloc, now I can boot normally again using IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup)

Attached verbose pictures, dvmt setting picture, and PR files

Attachments

• debug_21259.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2373.PNG
    IMG_2373.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2374.PNG
    IMG_2374.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2376.PNG
    IMG_2376.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2377.PNG
    IMG_2377.PNG
    995.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9590.JPG
    IMG_9590.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 68
You mean the missing AppleBacklightInjector.kext?
If so I wasn't using it because brightness control worked without so I thought I wouldn't need it, added it now anyway.
If I'm wrong just tell me again and I'll search the thread again for the sections I kinda skipped(like nvram and some other)

Your ioreg now shows brightness control implemented correctly.
You probably should still try other ig-platform-id values (such as 0x591b0000).

I tried following a guide by @missile0407 who has the same laptop model to set dvmt-prealloc.
I was able to set 0x785 to 0x2 which is supposed to be 64mb for dvmt-prealloc.
Yet when I tried to boot after setting it, I couldn't boot normally.
I still could boot on safe mode and recovery. I tried to remove IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext from efi/clover/kexts but no luck.
The last visible text in verbose mode(before it enters crazy fast scrolling mode and reboots) is "VoodooGPI0Sunri", as can be seen in photo.

(I have setted 0x785 back to 0x1 which means 32mb for dvmt-prealloc, now I can boot normally again using IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup)

Attached verbose pictures, dvmt setting picture, and PR files

If you get KP (in graphics kexts) without patching the framebuffer for 32MB DVMT-prealloc, then your DVMT-prealloc is still 32MB...

Your ioreg now shows brightness control implemented correctly.
You probably should still try other ig-platform-id values (such as 0x591b0000).
Ok, I'll try it and update this post

If you get KP (in graphics kexts) without patching the framebuffer for 32MB DVMT-prealloc, then your DVMT-prealloc is still 32MB...
I meant to say I couldn't boot not even with the 32mb patch(IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext), so I think it has really changed(at least to something that is not 32mb), I just don't know how to confirm if it has changed to 64mb but I really think it did.

Here's what I did after patching it:

I tried booting first just as I would boot normally(without changing anything, with IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup) and then I couldn't, so I tried safe mode and was able to boot.

Being able to boot in safe mode I thought that the problem was IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup, I then removed it from Library/Extensions and attempted to remove it from clover, but for some reason I wasn't able to mount EFI on safe mode.
With this idea in mind I was able to boot into recovery mode and from terminal I deleted the kext in clover folder.

Nevertheless I still couldn't boot(except in safe mode and recovery), not even with an invalid ig-platform-id like 0x12345678.
After these trials I set dvmt back to what it was and now I'm using it as it was before, 32 DVMT-Prealloc with IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll try it and update this post

I meant to say I couldn't boot not even with the 32mb patch(IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext), so I think it has really changed(at least to something that is not 32mb), I just don't know how to confirm if it has changed to 64mb but I really think it did.

Here's what I did after patching it:

I tried booting first just as I would boot normally(without changing anything, with IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup) and then I couldn't, so I tried safe mode and was able to boot.

Being able to boot in safe mode I thought that the problem was IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup, I then removed it from Library/Extensions and attempted to remove it from clover, but for some reason I wasn't able to mount EFI on safe mode.
With this idea in mind I was able to boot into recovery mode and from terminal I deleted the kext in clover folder.

Nevertheless I still couldn't boot(except in safe mode and recovery), not even with an invalid ig-platform-id like 0x12345678.
After these trials I set dvmt back to what it was and now I'm using it as it was before, 32 DVMT-Prealloc with IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.
What BIOS version in your laptop right now?

BTW, to try the DVMT-preallocate size change or not, you can try boot into installer by USB without IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext
It is more accurate to test DVMT because it reduce the cases that you have modified in current installation.
If it work, you can try re-install OS X.
If not, perhaps you can try change the value of 0x746 (set DVMT maximum size.)

Last edited:
What BIOS version in your laptop right now?

BTW, to try the DVMT-preallocate size change or not, you can try boot into installer by USB without IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext
It is more accurate to test DVMT because it reduce the cases that you have modified in current installation.
If it work, you can try re-install OS X.
If not, perhaps you can try change the value of 0x746 (set DVMT maximum size.)
Thanks.
By testing your suggestion of booting into installer without DVMTFixup I figured out that my clover patched/DSDT.aml was causing the problem after changing dvmt-prealloc to 64mb, removed it and I was able to boot, now I'm using yours DSDT and everything seems to be working again(and now I have no need for IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext)

I still have the glitchy graphics in gimp application as described in post #1.
I tried platform id 0x591b0000 as suggested by @RehabMan but not luck, what other values could I try?

Thanks.
By testing your suggestion of booting into installer without DVMTFixup I figured out that my clover patched/DSDT.aml was causing the problem after changing dvmt-prealloc to 64mb, removed it and I was able to boot, now I'm using yours DSDT and everything seems to be working again(and now I have no need for IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext)

I still have the glitchy graphics in gimp application as described in post #1.
I tried platform id 0x591b0000 as suggested by @RehabMan but not luck, what other values could I try?
No idea about glitches.
For why I'm not using 0x591b0000 because it usually caused HDMI issue for my laptop.
(KP when plug HDMI cable.)

Perhaps you can try other. Like 0x591e0000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back