CPU
i5 9400F
Graphics
RX 470
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Intel 82574L NIC
Apple dropped the driver from IONetworkingFamily.kext

i tried to take the driver from older MacOS and load it with opencore - the kext is loaded
1666696198610.png

the System information is recognizing the card
1666696222811.png

1666696256017.png

1666696272226.png

but in the network preferences panel the network state is disconnected while the lights are on on the NIC itself
before the kext load the card was not recognized in System information and was listed as Apple E1000 but had state connected but still did not work.

if i use the AppleE1000 kext it works
1666697076056.png

but i would like to use the more native driver if possible.
Any ideas how to make it work?

Last edited:
The OpenCore Legacy Patcher repo has a slightly modified copy of the 82574L driver; the modification is described as “Ethernet: Set IOProbeScore to outmatch DriverKit”, which I’m guessing is intended to force it to load before other network devices and prevent the “lights are on but nobody’s home” behavior you’re describing in your first post.

This is working for me on my Ventura 13.0.1 install so far. I don’t put my system to sleep so I can’t speak to that behavior.

I should note I’m also using this venerable plist-only kext to get the NIC recognized instead of patching the device ID in OpenCore. (Been using it for years, no reason to stop now.)

I should note I’m also using this venerable plist-only kext to get the NIC recognized instead of patching the device ID in OpenCore. (Been using it for years, no reason to stop now.)

are you successfuly using Intel 82574L NIC in Ventura? coz mine worked OOB without any patching and the problem is as stated above - Apple dropped the driver from IONetworkingFamily.kext so i dont understand how patching this kext would help it if the driver is not there. Or you mean to take the kext from older mac and then patch it? (edit- now i get it)

Last edited:
The OpenCore Legacy Patcher repo has a slightly modified copy of the 82574L driver; the modification is described as “Ethernet: Set IOProbeScore to outmatch DriverKit”, which I’m guessing is intended to force it to load before other network devices and prevent the “lights are on but nobody’s home” behavior you’re describing in your first post.

This is working for me on my Ventura 13.0.1 install so far. I don’t put my system to sleep so I can’t speak to that behavior.
this one works. thank you so much.
i dont need the other kext as mine has always worked OOB

Back