i7 4790k
Graphics
GTX 1080ti SC2
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I updated today to Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2555) and downloaded the right web drivers for it (367.15.10.15f01), however, I get stuck on the login screen. It all boots fine then black screen and no signal at all. Driving me crazy.
I even tried the UEFI64 whatever fix for 1xx boards (NVRAM issue) but nothing.
I obviously had web drivers working before with the right flag for Sierra, it's even there on my install guide.

Seems like a lot of folks are having the same issue, but unfortunately my board and CPU are now ancient and obviously everybody is running the new architectures, so most solutions won't apply, thing is the only solutions I've seen to be successful are the ones with the UEFI64 whatever NVRAM fix, nothing else.

Only way to boot for me correctly (or actually log into the hack) is disable web drivers on the fly, at clover options at boot time, which obviously makes it so hard to even write this post because the screen flickers like crazy and I have no acceleration enabled.

Is there anyone with this board or rocking an "ancient" 4790 been able to fix the issue yet?

I attach my config.plist, for whatever it's worth.

Thanks for your time!

So I used the AGDPFix v3, nothing.
I can login remotely from a MacBook, hence why I tried that fix.

Later, via combo update (DMG) I reinstalled 10.12.1, and ended up with 16B2657. So I tried the f03 Web drivers for that build and same issue. Tried the EmuVariableUefi-64 fix (installed via Clover Configurator) again with this new build and nothing.

Seems like the only other person with ancient hardware is some guy "waspinator", and he reported the same error here Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems but never got a solution either. So I guess we're both SoL (though he got build xx59 not xx57 so his issue may be different, but he's at least the only person alive with the same board and on Sierra apparently).

EDIT

Then I went the whole road of changing system definition (via clover config.plist, not on the fly) to iMac 15,1 (previously 14,2), editing AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement to set Config to none and AGDCEnabled flag to 0, rebuilt, cache, same thing.
Before that, I tried with the regular 14,2 adding AGDCEnabled flag with a value of 0 (doesn't exist on the board id) and Config was already set to none, didn't work. Hence why I tried with 15,1, thinking that manual adding of AGDCEnabled flag would have no effect whatsoever on 14,2.

Last edited:
Likely your issue is not related to the GPU drivers. There really aren't many people having issues with a Z97 chipset and Maxwell GPUs. I have been running a Z97 board, a 4790K and a GTX 970 since 10.10.0 without any issues and I am current on 10.12.1 (16B2555) and running fine.

Thanks for replying.

Where or what can I look that you could suggest?
I mean at this point I'm completely out of ideas. When I pressed the button to restart after the update from 10.12.0 to 10.12.1 was done, everything was perfect.

Right now I'm back to SMBIOS 14,2, I restored the stock kexts I mentioned and ran Kext Utility to fix permissions and whatnot, and it's still not working.

My board is F2 for whatever it's worth, never updated the BIOS so I don't have SMC or whatever anywhere on BIOS options (and don't know if upgrading to F4/5/6 will bring that option or not) so that's the only thing I never tried, but probably doesn't apply to me.

Also, I don't have any weird kexts like that one "iMac.kext" people mention sometimes. Just the Power one and FakeSMC. I even removed Tooledo's DSTD patch at /EFI to see if maybe that had something to do, but nothing (the patch is the one to enable audio via HDMI).

Well a followup just to feel a level higher of idiot than I feel right now:
It all started when I bought this new TV, to use 4k@60Hz. It's a Samsung ku6300. So I enabled "Game Mode" and "UHD" for chroma sampling. Turns out all I had to do was to disable UHD on the input and voila, screen is back.

I'm even typing this from a reinstall of macOS (what a PiTA).

So anyway, it was just something on the TV not on the hack. Obviously, I'll get the adapter to try and reach 4k@60hz via DisplayPort, but for the time being I'll settle for 4k@30Hz.
What it all means is that probably with the inability to reach 60Hz via HDMI, the TV and the HDMI out of the 970 weren't playing nice to each other that's all.

THE END.

Well a followup just to feel a level higher of idiot than I feel right now:
It all started when I bought this new TV, to use 4k@60Hz. It's a Samsung ku6300. So I enabled "Game Mode" and "UHD" for chroma sampling. Turns out all I had to do was to disable UHD on the input and voila, screen is back.

I'm even typing this from a reinstall of macOS (what a PiTA).

So anyway, it was just something on the TV not on the hack. Obviously, I'll get the adapter to try and reach 4k@60hz via DisplayPort, but for the time being I'll settle for 4k@30Hz.
What it all means is that probably with the inability to reach 60Hz via HDMI, the TV and the HDMI out of the 970 weren't playing nice to each other that's all.

THE END.

Use iMac 14,2 to avoid black screen in 10.12+.

I always use 14,2. That wasn't the problem. I explained in the last post. But, nevermind.

Shouldn't get black screen using iMac 14,2. Black screens normally shows (injecting) when isn't needed or using wrong system definition with 10.12+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back