Contribute
Register

[Solved] HS UniBeast for Z370 install problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomR

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Greets, Tonymac Collecitve!

I'm working on an upgrade to my 360/VR Production Build - Upgrading mobo, CPU, RAM, and changing to Gigabyte AORUS RX580 (since Final Cut Pro is optimized for AMD & I was using NVIDIA before).

Upon reading some of the initial posts about Coffee Lake being virtually identical to Kaby Lake (except 2 more cores), the general feeling seems to be that a CL build should be pretty much a breeze. So I've built my Unibeast installer key, and then for good measure, ran Clover installer to update UB key to latest version of Clover (4392).

It takes almost 30 min to get to 90% on the progress indicator. I've never had this slow of a boot just to get to the initial part of the installer. And I'm just trying with bare-bones (no RX580, no TB3 AIC, and now trying with a Samsung 512GB 850Pro SSD vs. my 960Pro m.2). Been reading & following a few posts on native support of CL, as well as some on RX580. I found this post with one user's success and am following their settings for config.plist and BIOS.

I've also tried looking at Golden Builds and User Builds for anyone having success with a Gigabyte (or really, any) Z370. Pretty much everyone says to build your UniBeast key, and then replace the EFI folder on EFI partition with "the attached EFI folder" that originated with some other user. Ideally, I would like to figure out how to do a straight-up Unibeast/MultiBeast build for my AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming + i7-8700K + AORUS RX580. But following the standard install procedure, I get nowhere & waste 30 min @ a time getting there...

For the record, I, too, have discovered "that other user's EFI folder" and as much as I hate to admit, I can get up & running in pretty good shape. But that's not what this forum is all about...right? I'm definitely open to suggestions at this point. TIA for your time & consideration!!
--B

I just finished a install of HS 10.13.3 on my new MyHero II system. I did not use "someone's EFI folder". I used the standard UniBeast / MultiBeast methods and procedures.

BTW, I've read that the 10.13.4 Beta(s) are supporting the range of RX and Vega graphics cards much better than the previous builds. So, 10.13.3 is immature and at best a public beta release. (Can you tell I'm very disappointed with HS so far?)

I just finished a install of HS 10.13.3 on my new MyHero II system. I did not use "someone's EFI folder". I used the standard UniBeast / MultiBeast methods and procedures.

BTW, I've read that the 10.13.4 Beta(s) are supporting the range of RX and Vega graphics cards much better than the previous builds. So, 10.13.3 is immature and at best a public beta release. (Can you tell I'm very disappointed with HS so far?)
+1 on the "public beta" :clap:

I appreciate your confirmation that it **can** be done with UniBeast/MultiBeast (as I have thought all along). Also, note that I'm trying with Intel onboard GPU right now... the RX580 card is sitting on my desk. That's why this is such a head-scratcher...motherboard, CPU, and Ram...that's it! Keeping it simple until I can at least get macOS installed & running.

So I appear to be "stuck" here {updated}:
20180206_193345.jpg

Last edited:
[[RESOLVED]]

The latest Gigabyte UEFI/BIOS has changed up the way they deliver/group some settings that I've known in past builds by other names. For example, in the AORUS Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0), there is no longer a setting to tell the mobo what OS you'll be running. There was always a setting that we'd make sure to set to "Other OS"

Upon closer examination of the UEFI > BIOS menu, I had neglected to disable CSM - because when you do disable it, the options below this line item disappear.
180206211044.png
I know somewhere in the mix we need to set Storage Boot Option to UEFI... so I just assumed that disabling CSM would disable all the other options (since they all go away once this is disabled). But maybe it doesn't after all. Because now, this install is SCREAMING fast....!!!

This coming weekend, I'll be doing a write-up on the upgrades to my 360/VR Production Build that includes all the upgraded hardware. Stay tuned!
:headbang:

I smell the makings of Golden Build in the works! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back