Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] How to Apply Pixel Clock Patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I installed Sierra and cannot get my resolution to change from 1024x768, so I am having the issue described in the sticky post:

Display can't be driven at native resolution (> 1080p)
In case you've already achieved full graphics acceleration, this can usually be solved by applying the Pixel Clock Patch, which removes artificial software limitations. Your SMBIOS can also affect the maximum resolution in OS X.

My question is: can someone help me walk through the Pixel Clock Patch steps?

Because there seem to be a lot of pitfalls.

EDIT - I solved my issue, but it was not solved by applying Pixel Clock Patch... instead, when I selected my Sierra drive to boot, I hit [SPACEBAR] and deselected the checkbox for nv_disable=1 and booted via Clover that way.

~

I've included some info that should help show where I'm at right now:

The NVIDIA Web Driver is installed, up to date and "working" for the most part. Screenshots included. Driver Radio Button.pngDriver Up To Date.pngSymptom.pngSystem Info.png

My EFI's config.plist has this:

<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>
</dict>

I'm going to first try to disable SIP but after that I get a little confused about where to go next ... the instructions on this page get a little confusing:

https://github.com/Floris497/mac-pi...d-insetad-of-iokit-pixel-clock-has-been-moved

I'm currently on Sierra 10.12.6

About.png

Last edited:
It looks like I need to also install developer tools...?

DevTools.png

Well, I wasn't able to get SIP disabled fully ... booted to recovery and tried csrutil disable and only the top few items were disabled, not the bottom few in the list ... tried using Clover Configurator Rt Variables CSRActiveConfig 0x3 and 0x67 but it still never seemed completely off, not sure why.

https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/RtVariables#rtvariables_csractiveconfig

So I tried the patch but now I cannot boot to the disk, or my Mavericks install on a different SSD entirely.

I tried a few clover options...

If I just try to boot regular in Sierra I get a spinning indicator at the large Apple logo that spins and spins for a while until it stops (not the pinwheel, the white spinning lines)

Safe mode just gives me a do not enter sign in white on black

I noticed that Clover is adding nv_disable=1 which might be why I was getting into my system at all?

When I disable that I get a black screen only ...

When I select the Sierra HFS from Clover and hit space and choose the web drivers or any other logical combination of Clover checkboxes I still cannot boot ... I will have to reformat the target drive just to get back to my Mavericks install ... hopefully it will still boot after that (right now it shows a do not enter sign).

I will try to reinstall Sierra again later ... this is the third nearly full day of trying to upgrade my hardware to anything past Mavericks.

I'm sure there's a way to get it to work but I only ever try these things once every few years and each time it's a complete battle.

Here's as far as I've been able to get SIP disabled:

Configuration:

Apple Internal: disabled

Kext Signing: disabled

Filesystem Protections: disabled

Debugging Restrictions: enabled

DTrace Restrictions: enabled

NVRAM Protections: enabled

BaseSystem Verification: enabled

Solved (for now, at least)!

Through all those painful experiments I finally noticed that Clover had decided to put in nv_disable=1 ... having re-installed Sierra on the SSD again I simply hit space bar, unchecked that option, and now I can see the screen in native resolution again!

1920x1080 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back