Contribute
Register

[solved] Having trouble getting Atheros wifi to work on Mojave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170-D3H
CPU
i5 6600k
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have this atheros ar9281 wifi module i bought for my hp pavilion 15 laptop. It worked perfectly fine in high sierra out of the box but now when i try switching to a clean install of mojave it won't work. at all.

I read somewhere that support for most atheros wifi modules has been dropped in mojave and that i should install AirPortAtheros40.kext (dumped from my hs '09 mbp) in L/E and that did somewhat help in the sense of my wifi module is now detected, i can turn it on and off, but no wifi networks are seen. I just turn it on, it says "scanning" for 5 secs and that's it. no networks are detected.

I try booting a live ubuntu usb to see if the card itself is working and it is. detects all surrounding networks just fine.

any ideas are more than appreciated.

I have this atheros ar9281 wifi module i bought for my hp pavilion 15 laptop. It worked perfectly fine in high sierra out of the box but now when i try switching to a clean install of mojave it won't work. at all.

I read somewhere that support for most atheros wifi modules has been dropped in mojave and that i should install AirPortAtheros40.kext (dumped from my hs '09 mbp) in L/E and that did somewhat help in the sense of my wifi module is now detected, i can turn it on and off, but no wifi networks are seen. I just turn it on, it says "scanning" for 5 secs and that's it. no networks are detected.

I try booting a live ubuntu usb to see if the card itself is working and it is. detects all surrounding networks just fine.

any ideas are more than appreciated.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Note: You should probably plan on installing compatible Broadcom WiFi as per FAQ.

Attachments

• debug_9819.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
No ioreg there. Please check your files carefully before uploading.
ok, this is wierd. admittedly i had to run the script without internet (cuz lel that's what i'm trying to fix) but i hope the file attached can do it.

Attachments

• ioreg.ioreg
    10.5 MB · Views: 121
Set config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/FixAirport=false.
....i can't believe myself ahaha. Thanks that worked!!

I think what happened was that i tried some kexts, see that it didn't work, applied that in clover configurator, saw that didn't work either, restored the hs IO80211Family.kext (which was the "real" fix) but forgot to revert the fixairport from config.plist.

Thank you! i feel so dumb now.
Now my old Atheros can live to survive another macos update

....i can't believe myself ahaha. Thanks that worked!!

I think what happened was that i tried some kexts, see that it didn't work, applied that in clover configurator, saw that didn't work either, restored the hs IO80211Family.kext (which was the "real" fix) but forgot to revert the fixairport from config.plist.

Thank you! i feel so dumb now

Marked solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back