Graphics
RX560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

This is my first Hackintosh build. I am trying to install High Sierra and I am not able to see the hard disk. I have done all the BIOS changes recommended. I am able to see the HDD from the BIOS. Do I need to inject any AHCI kext? How do I troubleshoot? Please help.

CPU: I5-7500
MB: GA-Z270-HD3
HDD: SATA Seagate 1TB
RAM: 8GB

Using Integrated Graphics for now.

Thanks,
Kris

Hi,

This is my first Hackintosh build. I am trying to install High Sierra and I am not able to see the hard disk. I have done all the BIOS changes recommended. I am able to see the HDD from the BIOS. Do I need to inject any AHCI kext? How do I troubleshoot? Please help.

Thanks,
Kris

• Please edit your "Personal Details: [Human Logo toward the Right end of top Menubar of this Forum >Personal Details>Fill the boxes for MoBo|CPU|Graphics and any other hardware in your Build . That will then show up below your Login name and Logo and readers can find them in every post you make without having to scroll up to this initial post]. The Forum rules expect that from everyone!
I am not able to see the hard disk. I have done all the BIOS changes recommended. I am able to see the HDD from the BIOS. Do I need to inject any AHCI kext? How do I troubleshoot? Please help.
  • Where can't you see the hard disk?
  • Since you alone can see your Display Monitor and the readers of your post have no access to those visual data, take clear pictures of the screen(s) and upload to supplement/Support your conclusions posted in text here.
  • The Pictures of BIOS screen and Verbose Boot Screens (with -v boot flag) from Clover Boot Manager screen onward can help readers to find problem areas and suggest possible fixes.
  • To upload files to this forum, find and click [Upload a File] button at the bottom of this message entry box and navigate to the file in your Computer to select.

I am unable to see the hard disk in the installation step in the Disk Utility. However, I can see the HDD in the BIOS.
I will upload pictures later in the day. Thanks for the input on the verbose boot screens. I will try to capture those as well.

User error!
Had to initialize the disk using diskpart before I could install Mac. Thanks.

I am running into this same problem. I have my SATA SDD and HDD set to ACHI in the BIOS and my BIOS can recognize both drives. However Disc Utility from within Uni-Beast does not. How did you go about running diskpart?

This is a complete new install with no other OS on the system if that makes a difference.

------

I was looking around Clover and I can see all my SATA drives under the Clover Shell as well as under Clover Boot Options. So this seems to be a Disk Utility issue.

Last edited:
I am running into this same problem. I have my SATA SDD and HDD set to ACHI in the BIOS and my BIOS can recognize both drives. However Disc Utility from within Uni-Beast does not. How did you go about running diskpart?

This is a complete new install with no other OS on the system if that makes a difference.

------

I was looking around Clover and I can see all my SATA drives under the Clover Shell as well as under Clover Boot Options. So this seems to be a Disk Utility issue.
  • OP has done partition and format using a Windows system that has "Diskpart", a command line tool
  • If you have no access to Windows Desktop where you can connect the SSDs through SATA connectors leaving the disk outside the case during the Partition and Format, you won't have that option.
  • If you have Mac System with SATA ports, you can connect the SSD temporarily and then use its Disk Utility (GUI mode)
    • or use "diskutil" command in Terminal to partition and format the SSD.

• I recall, some very old SSDs as well as the SATA Fusion Disks having problem with APFS; they could only have MacOS extended (Journaled) Format.

Thanks, good points. I currently do not have any desktop computers in my house (unless an old Socket 5 Windows 95 counts), just two laptops, one Sierra and the other Windows 8. The drive I am struggling with is an M2 device.

I don't plan to use APFS as I want to preserve a multi-boot option, but then I have not gotten that far yet anyway.

I just provided a far more detailed post over here instead: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-do-a-clean-macos-high-sierra-install.233191/page-13
Just seemed to be the more appropriate place to post my issue since I determined this post was specific to a Windows dual boot.

--Edited with details for clarity--

I am working on a clean maxOS High Sierra Install on a new build:
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H270M-DS3H
  • CPU: Intel i7 7700
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LD 2x16GB DDR4 2400
  • SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2 2280 SATA III
  • HDD: 2 x Seagate Barracuda
  • Onboard SATA III Controller
  • Onboard LAN: Realtek® GbE LAN chip
  • Onboard Audio: Realtek® ALC887 codec
  • Dedicated Graphics: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060D5-6GD
I went through and set all the BIOS settings to defaults and then made the following changes:
  • Confirmed OS Type ("Windows 8/10 Features"): Other OS
  • Secure Boot: Disabled
  • Serial Port: Disabled
  • Parallel Port: Disabled
  • XHCI Handoff: Enabled
  • SATA Model Selection: Confirmed AHCI
  • Chipset VT-d: Disabled
  • CFG-Lock not located in BIOS
In BIOS, I can confirm the presence and settings for all my SATA hard drives.

I built a new bootable USB drive using Uni-Beast 8.0 and High Sierra and I am able to boot my computer with this. I load up the PC in select boot drive and select the USB. From Clover, I select to Install High Sierra and the installer loads. From here I go to Disk Utility and I only see my USB drive. I have searched this form high and low and the only references I can find are the BIOS settings confirmed above. I also see recommendations for SATA kexts on older Mac OS's but I understood High Sierra does not require these. Perhaps I am wrong in that understanding.

Finally, if I boot from the USB and go to the Shell 64 prompt, all my hard drives load up as SATA devices.

So as of now I am not sure what the next step is.
First, how do I resolve the SATA SDD/HDD impasse?
Second, from the hardware provided above, what kexts do I need?

This is my first dance with hackintosh, clover and uni-beast.

Last edited:
Thanks, good points. I currently do not have any desktop computers in my house (unless an old Socket 5 Windows 95 counts), just two laptops, one Sierra and the other Windows 8. The drive I am struggling with is an M2 device.

I don't plan to use APFS as I want to preserve a multi-boot option, but then I have not gotten that far yet anyway.

I just provided a far more detailed post over here instead: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-do-a-clean-macos-high-sierra-install.233191/page-13
Just seemed to be the more appropriate place to post my issue since I determined this post was specific to a Windows dual boot.

Thank you for pointing to your excellent and very descriptive post showing all your current hardware through the link provided above. Even without any screen shots, I could visualize where exactly you are stuck at present.

My suggestions are the following:

• For continuity, if you could edit this post and update your current post above by copying and pasting your earlier text here , this post will become more comprehensive and useful to all readers without having to jump between threads:)
  • Temporarily disconnecting the Power connection to other SATA disks until you get your High Sierra installation and update is completed and several reboots are perfect will reduce clutter and confusion in Disk Utility and also during reboots in early stages of installation.
    • This of course requires shut down , opening the case and working inside the case under electrostatic precautions.
  • Your BIOS Setup looks flawless and hence CLOVER is your Problem.
    • Please upload the CLOVER folder from your USB installer as a compressed file for a detailed check.
      • This will require EFI mounter in the Mac this installer was created.
        • Clover Configurator Vibrant (CCV) is an excellent GUI EFI mounter and Editor Freeware (2-in 1) tool you can DOWNLOAD
    • If you don't want to upload CLOVER, at the very least, please check and confirm /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI contents for APFS.
  • Consider connecting your Current SSD targetted for High Sierra installation to your Mac via "USB to SATA Adapter" and use your Mac's Disk Utility to do the Partitioning and Formatting and then take the formatted SSD to the Target Hackintosh System. There are many like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJZJI84/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 to choose from.
Hope the above may be of help to you.

Thanks @cmn699

For continuity, if you could edit this post...
Done

Temporarily disconnecting the Power connection to other SATA disks
I can do that, but I'm not sure that is the source of the problem. The target drive us Sada channel 0 and is the 512MB unit. But your point is valid, I can format the other drives after OSX install is complete.

Your BIOS Setup looks flawless and hence CLOVER is your Problem.
Thanks, I try to follow the details to the T and I don't mind at all if this install takes several days/weeks to execute and work out the bugs. I have been planning this project for a couple of years now and was finally able to pull the trigger. If I wanted something instant, I just would have bought what i needed...but where is the fun and learning in that ;)

Regarding Clover, please explain. From the main clover menu, if I select the command prompt option on the far left, I go into the Shell terminal (I think that's what it is called). I wait out the prompt and all my SDD/HDD/USB drives are loaded on the info screen. This appears to me that Clover is "seeing" the drives and rather is is the OSX Installer/Disk Utility is not. I am not challenging you as I am the grasshopper here, but rather just trying to understand :D

Please upload the CLOVER folder from your USB installer as a compressed file for a detailed check
Will do this tonight

This will require EFI mounter in the Mac this installer was created
This I do not understand...but I will look into that link.

I will also check out the UEFI64 folder for contents and report back. I do not plan to use APFS on this system as I want the hard drive accessible for other systems and I plan to set this machine up for multiboot.

Consider connecting your Current SSD targetted for High Sierra installation
My target SSD is an M.2 2282 device. However, my case does have hot swappable 3.5" SATA III drives. Perhaps I can do an initial install on one of those and then clone over or re-install onto the M2 drive. I'm not sure I can clone from a HDD to an SDD. Also, my laptop does not have USB 3.0 but I suspect it will still work on a 2.0 - perhaps this unit instead: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MYU0E0K/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Hi,

Thanks,
Kris
Same let me know if you find a fix =[. On my laptop not desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back