Motherboard
Asus Maximus Hero IX
CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
Hey guys, I'm hoping that someone could help or confirm my suspicions.

I am using my build for editing 4k material, it works pretty smoothly, but I keep getting random shut downs.
Basically the machine will just trip and restart, mainly when I'm asking it to work a bit harder.

Originally I thought it was the H60 cpu cooler, as it dint seem to sit on the cpu very well.
I changed this out for a radiator air cooler, which is a lot quieter, but still the machine trips, leaving me to think this wasn't the issue.

Could this be a RAM issue? I am running 16gb ballistix sport sticks, so I question why they would fail, but it is a possibility given whats happening. any advice is a appreciated.

It might be RAM, but it could be related to the power supply the CPU, GPU or motherboard VRM. You could even have an old UEFI version, faulty RAM slots or a faulty motherboard.

Memtest86 v7.5 is free to use and will properly test your RAM under load. Download the ISO Image and burn it to a DVD or USB flash drive. Boot into Memtest (disconnect all other drives first) and run overnight or through the day to thoroughly test for errors. Test in different RAM slots.
https://www.memtest86.com/

It might be RAM, but it could be related to the power supply the CPU, GPU or motherboard VRM. You could even have an old UEFI version, faulty RAM slots or a faulty motherboard.

Memtest86 v7.5 is free to use and will properly test your RAM under load. Download the ISO Image and burn it to a DVD or USB flash drive. Boot into Memtest (disconnect all other drives first) and run overnight or through the day to thoroughly test for errors. Test in different RAM slots.
https://www.memtest86.com/
Ahh okay, thanks. Maybe it's the UEFI version, as all of the parts were brand new in Feb, so shouldn't have failed this early on.
I'll have a look. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back