2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Windows Phone
Hi, after I upgraded from a i5 6400 Skylake to a i7 7700 last year, everything worked fine. After that SSD broke I wanted to reinstall MacOS High Sierra. Unfortunately I can't get passed the Error "Waiting for Root Device" with a circle with a dash. I tried everything including different USB ports, different SMBIOS and removing the GTX 1060. I am stuck here! Hopefully somebody can help! Sorry for my to be honest terrible English. I have attached a picture of the error as well as the EFI Folder

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2459.jpg
    IMG_2459.jpg
    755.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6810.jpg
    IMG_6810.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
  • EFI.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 58
"Still waiting for root device".
When booting from USB means that there is a problem finding a valid System folder to start up from on your USB flash drive.
This is usually because the flash drive is in a USB3 port.
If this is the case move it to a USB2 port, if it is already in a USB2 port move it to another and try again.
Repeat until you have tried all USB ports.
Use a USB2 flash drive.
If it still doesn't work you could try another flash drive.
You might also try enabling Legacy on your USB3 ports in your BIOS settings.
Try connecting your USB flash drive using a USB2 hub.
Ensure that Fast Boot is not enabled in your BIOS settings.
May require USBInjectAll.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
May need PMHeart’s patch to remove XHCI USB Port Limit to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist.

The problem may also occur when your USB controllers are unsupported, if this is the case you should add the appropriate kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ or try GenericUSBXHCI.kext.

"Still waiting for root device".
When booting from USB means that there is a problem finding a valid System folder to start up from on your USB flash drive.
This is usually because the flash drive is in a USB3 port.
If this is the case move it to a USB2 port, if it is already in a USB2 port move it to another and try again.
Repeat until you have tried all USB ports.
Use a USB2 flash drive.
If it still doesn't work you could try another flash drive.
You might also try enabling Legacy on your USB3 ports in your BIOS settings.
Try connecting your USB flash drive using a USB2 hub.
Ensure that Fast Boot is not enabled in your BIOS settings.
May require USBInjectAll.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
May need PMHeart’s patch to remove XHCI USB Port Limit to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist.

The problem may also occur when your USB controllers are unsupported, if this is the case you should add the appropriate kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ or try GenericUSBXHCI.kext.

Thanks for your quick reply. I used a USB 2.0 Drive and it booted into the installer. Just got to figure our the rest. If there are any more problems Ill post them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back