3. Centris
  4. iBook
  5. LC
  6. Performa
  7. Plus
  8. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I first ran into this issue quite a while ago. It has been an off and on problem that is now frequent enough with High Sierra to be truly maddening. In the past, it looked like the black screen issue but turned out not to be that. At a certain point in the booting process, my screen would go dark. I discovered that if I simply unplugged and replugged the DVI-D cable into my graphics card, I would discover that my computer had, in fact, completed booting up. Now, it appears to have stalled with the progress bar half completed and the white apple above it. Except that if I unplug and replug the monitor, it's fine. This can even occur after booting. I'll see a ghost image of a previous screen that persists until I unplug & replug. Also, certain parts of the screen seem to stop updating. The time doesn't change until I click on the clock.

Thanks for your help.

Max

Asus X99 Deluxe
i7 5930K
Asus Radeon R9 280X (x2)
G.Skill - Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO Pro 512GB
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Western Digital - RE 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (x4)
Highpoint RAID Adapter
Asus TB2 adapter

EDITED

Switching to a DisplayPort cable seems to have resolved the issue. Initially, I couldn't access 2560 x 1440 resolution which had been available when using the DVI-D port. I switched cables and 2560 x 1440 then worked. (NEC has a notice on their site to the effect that various manufacturers were making non-compliant DisplayPort cables back in 2010-2011.)

I've ordered a replacement DVI-D cable to see whether that was the underlying problem. As I haven't had any problems during my occasional use of my Windows 10 partition, I don't expect it to make a difference but who knows?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back