Contribute
Register

[ SOLVED ] Gigabyte Z170MX G5 + EVGA GTX970 + 10.12.3 = nope | native NVRAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390 (F9b)
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hi everyone

I've just built my second Hackintosh and this one is giving me more trouble than I needed.
I followed @LHowlett 's guide from here
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...170x-gaming-5-i7-6700-16gb-gtx-960-oc.210055/

Similar configuration except a GTX 960 and 10.12.2

I've been having issues with the WebDriver and over the past 2 days I've read a ton of forum posts before I realised that starting a new thread was the way to go.
This morning I finally bumped into something which gave me hope: I found out that the system can default to native drivers on Gigabyte series 100 because of lack of native NVRAM.
This post (point 4) talks about installing EmuVariableUefi-64 to store nvda_drv=1.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/

On the other hand I seem to understand that such parameter is not required/used anymore but should instead be removed entirely from the Boot section of the config file.
I have already done so yesterday, and made sure that NVidiaWeb was set to "true", not "1" or "yes" as some users have mistakenly done in past threads.

Code:
<key>SystemParameters</key>
    <dict>
        <key>InjectKexts</key>
        <string>YES</string>
        <key>InjectSystemID</key>
        <true/>
        <key>NvidiaWeb</key>
        <true/>
    </dict>

(apologies for not uploading my config file but the machine is at my studio, I'll later make amends and make sure it's attached)

I've found some success stories with similar hardware and 10.12.3, but mine is apparently not one of those.
I have also upgraded the BIOS hoping it would fix something but... nope.
After that I ended up with weird Kernel Panics and re-installed twice upon formatting the SSD.

Any ideas?

[ UPDATE ] 12-FEB-2017, 15:22
Installing the EmuVariableUefi-64 driver helped me get on the right path.
Upon installing I had a blank screen, but had set my screen sharing to be able and login from another machine.
Had to re-install the web driver, no idea why yet but then I moved forward.
The machine booted, web driver was enabled but Video RAM was listed as 0MB.
Googling around I got to find out that this may be caused by enabling the option "Inject NVIDIA" in Clover.
I went to check and it was, in fact, there.
Upon removal and rebooting everything worked great.
Been stuck on this for 3 days, but glad I have a working machine now :)

Last edited:
@P1LGRIM
I fixed the issue by installing the driver, but RC Scripts were not necessary.
While researching how to add them I learned this

"The truth is RC Script has been deprecated since the day of Leopard (10.5) but for some reasons it still survives till Mavericks (10.9). Unfortunately it is gone completely in Yosemite ( 10.10 ), so Clover users using RC Script in old installer now won’t be able to keep NVRAM after restarting, due to nvram.plist saving scripts won’t run at shutting down."

from this link
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/page-2

so it seems RC Scripts are not used anymore.
Thank you for pitching in, though :)

ubi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back