Contribute
Register

[Solved*] Gigabyte HD 6850 GraphicsEnabler=Yes not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 GraphicsEnabler=Yes not working

Alright, I've tried all the framebuffers for Snow Leopard, here are my results.

By "wrong Terminal info" I'm referring to this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=19330, I get this result
Not-Shys-Mac-Pro:~ notshy$ ioreg | grep ATY
| | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@0 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000003$
| | | | +-o ATY_ATY,RadeonFramebuffer <class ATIFramebuffer, id 0x10$
| | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@1 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000003$
| | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@2 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000003$
| | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@3 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000003$
However "RadeonFrameBuffer" is replaced by the FrameBuffer I was trying, e.g. Gibba, Ipomoea, etc. But it never showed the "correct" Terminal info, according to the guide.

Pithecia:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Pithecia AtiPorts=4: works, DVD player works, my monitor resolution not available, correct graphics card in System Profiler and wrong Terminal info

GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Pithecia AtiPorts=4 Darkwake=0: same

GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Pithecia AtiPorts=4 arch=i386: same

Gibba:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Gibba AtiPorts=4: works, DVD player works, my monitor resolution not available, correct graphics card in System Profiler and wrong Terminal info
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Gibba AtiPorts=4 Darkwake=0: black screen

Ipomoea:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Ipomoea AtiPorts=4: works, DVD player works, my monitor resolution not available, correct graphics card in System Profiler and wrong Terminal info

GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Ipomoea AtiPorts=4 Darkwake=0: same

Bulrushes:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Bulrushes AtiPorts=4 - black screen

GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Bulrushes AtiPorts=4 Darkwake=0 - black screen

Cattail:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Cattail AtiPorts=4 - doesn't work (possible kernel panic)

Hydrilla:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Hydrilla AtiPorts=4 - black screen

Duckweed:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Duckweed AtiPorts=4 - black screen

Fanwort:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Fanwort AtiPorts=4 - black screen

Elodea:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Elodea AtiPorts=4 - black screen

Kudzu:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Kudzu AtiPorts=4 - black screen

Lotus:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Lotus AtiPorts=4 - black screen

Muskgrass:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Muskgrass AtiPorts=4 - black screen

Juncus:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Juncus AtiPorts=4 - booted as if GraphicsEnabler=No

Osmunda:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Osmunda AtiPorts=4 - booted as if GraphicsEnabler=No

You're using SL? Have you thought about upgrading to Lion? I don't know if that would be a fix, but it seems most people with Lion, don't have an issue with this card. Have you tried doing the method described by Alex Martinez? Every system is different. People have done the edits typically have success.

Shakin_Handz said:
You're using SL? Have you thought about upgrading to Lion? I don't know if that would be a fix, but it seems most people with Lion, don't have an issue with this card. Have you tried doing the method described by Alex Martinez? Every system is different. People have done the edits typically have success.
I never really thought about upgrading to Lion.

Haven't tried Martinez's method, seems really complex. If I have to resort to that, I will, but if I can get it working another way, that'd be better.

Sorry for mentioning this again, but according to the tonymacx86 wiki, my card says it works with these flags

Device ID=0x6739, OSX 10.6.8/Lion, Chameleon v2.1svn r1713, DVI, HDMI , DP work great, GraphicsEnabler=Yes, <Ati Config> Framebuffer=Bulrushes; AtiPorts=4 64bits

Would using Chameleon 2.1 change anything?

JackArrgon said:
Would using Chameleon 2.1 change anything?
No, I don't think so. Chimera uses Chameleon as a source. So it shouldn't matter much.

Consider upgrading to Lion. It's the better SL (even the kernel is still the same) but with many bug fixes and the better window manager. At least I won't ever go back to SL. (And I've used SL happily since it was introduced.)

True enough, it's strange that this card does not work with your setup. :(

Here's my recent review of my Gigabyte 6850, maybe it helps. http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?uid=121746&f=15&t=55925&start=0

Thanks for the info.

I noticed you have your machine with the iMac identity. Would changing mine (currently Mac Pro 3,1) to that help?

JackArrgon said:
Thanks for the info.

I noticed you have your machine with the iMac identity. Would changing mine (currently Mac Pro 3,1) to that help?
Could very well be, that this could help. The iMac12,2 has got a similar card as the 6850 installed, where the MacPro3,1 is the old PowerMac's identity.

It shouldn't break your install, too. If it doesn't work out, you can go back to a different identity later on at any time.

Sorry, another question. Should I go about installing the iMac 12,2 identity with Multibeast, or switching it manually by editing the plist?

My Build: Radeon HD 6850 1gb; Z68XP-UD3; I7-2600k; Seagate 1TB; Corsair Blue 16GB

I've tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No PCIRootUID=0 and have been able to get into Lion but system usually locks up. The most success that I've had is with PCIRootUID=0. At this point I am very frustrated and ready to go out and buy another Graphics card. I need help. I've read all of the post on the 6850 and it seems that others are having the same problem. I loaded DSDT F8 which matched my bios after getting into Lion. I've tried all of the Multibeast recommended settings and nothing seems to work and give me stability. I have my 6850 hooked up to the HDMI port and I am just using one monitor.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I am not a programmer but I can follow instructions if told where to go and get info.

Thanks

If you look in this thread you will find Alex Martinez's method for making your own frame buffer. You may also want to try and load the ATIController that I uploaded in this thread. However it may depend on your system. The Martinez post has been successful for other people. It looks hard but if you just follow the instructions.

JackArrgon said:
Sorry, another question. Should I go about installing the iMac 12,2 identity with Multibeast, or switching it manually by editing the plist?
Multibeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back