Contribute
Register

[Solved] Getting MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X PLUS working on fresh Sierra Z270X install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z270X Gaming 7
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 + Radeon WX PRO 7100
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Problem: Have fresh install of Sierra working generally (Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 7 with i7700K CPU). Installed my 1080 GPU and performed the corresponding install actions in Multibeast. System boots okay, however resolution is limited to 1600x1200, and the Nvidia pref pane indicates that the "OS X Default Graphics Driver" is being used.

Attached is my System Report Graphics/Displays section, and my zipped up clover config. Appreciate any tips! Installed Nvidia Web Driver is version 378.05.05.15f01, which I think should be right for OS X 10.12.5

Ed

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 17.33.03.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 17.33.03.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 194
Installed my 1080 GPU and performed the corresponding install actions in Multibeast. System boots okay, however resolution is limited to 1600x1200, and the Nvidia pref pane indicates that the "OS X Default Graphics Driver" is being used.
Setup emulated NVRAM to store the nvda_drv=1 boot flag in boot-args.
See Problem 6 of Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems
Install EmuVariableUefi-64 + RC Scripts

Wow - apologies for being a tool. I am not sure how many times I "read" that page without seeing this bit of it... Thanks for your assistance - twice in one day!

Hmm - now that I've actually attempted to do this, it has not worked as per script. I upgraded Clover and added EmuVariableUefi-64 by itself first, as per the instructions on the thread.

Reboot got me to a black screen. I rebooted few times with verbose on, and once using safe mode. Couldn't install clover again in safe mode, so I rebooted again - finally got back in as it presumably decided to fall back to trying the default os x drivers.

So upgraded Clover a second time - this time adding the RC scripts to the boot volume as you suggested. Same behaviour.

Attached is a screenshot of the console the moment before it flips to a completely black screen.. not sure if it's helpful?

I note also that the screenshot in the instructions show OsxAptioFix2Drv-64 AND OsxAptioFixDrv-64 selected - I only have the Fix2Drv one selected - probably totally unrelated I guess!

I'm conscious that Problem 4 in the thread you linked involves booting to a black screen - however I'm using system definition iMac14,2 as recommended...

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_7285.JPG
    IMG_7285.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 199
Hmm - now that I've actually attempted to do this, it has not worked as per script. I upgraded Clover and added EmuVariableUefi-64 by itself first, as per the instructions on the thread.

Reboot got me to a black screen. I rebooted few times with verbose on, and once using safe mode. Couldn't install clover again in safe mode, so I rebooted again - finally got back in as it presumably decided to fall back to trying the default os x drivers.

So upgraded Clover a second time - this time adding the RC scripts to the boot volume as you suggested. Same behaviour.

Attached is a screenshot of the console the moment before it flips to a completely black screen.. not sure if it's helpful?

I note also that the screenshot in the instructions show OsxAptioFix2Drv-64 AND OsxAptioFixDrv-64 selected - I only have the Fix2Drv one selected - probably totally unrelated I guess!

I'm conscious that Problem 4 in the thread you linked involves booting to a black screen - however I'm using system definition iMac14,2 as recommended...

Any thoughts?

Hold on... thought I'd go ferret through clover config again... four identical 100/200 usb fix dict entries - I think entered by my misunderstanding how multibeast works...
And also - System Definition imac17,1... Absolutely no idea what set that, as I know I had set it to 14,2. Anyway, fixed that up, and it's looking good now.

Thanks for your help BreBo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back