Gigabyte Z170X Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi all
I thought the build would be straightforward after choosing parts that are quite common and there are several tutorials around.
First, Sierra wouldn't install, so I replaced OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi.
Sierra install went well, just the display was 1600x1200. Later I modified this with Clover Configurator and now I get the proper 2560x1440.
I selected iMac 17,1 for my i7 6700K and GTX 1060. I then installed Nvidia web drivers for 10.12.3 (WebDriver-367.15.10.35f01). No acceleration.
In "about this Mac", the graphics card (6GB VRAM) sometimes shows as "GTX 1060 1900MB" (1900 something, I don't remember), sometimes "Display 14 MB". I don't know why. I've tried adding 6000MB in clover configurator, it doesn't improve anything.
I did the Sierra 10.12.6 update. Updated the Nvidia web driver (WebDriver-378.05.05.25f01). Got a black screen when the loading bar was halfway through when starting the computer. Every time. I don't remember what I did to get past the black screen, but I managed to get back in the OS.

I still have no hardware acceleration even though the web drivers are checked in the menu bar. Everything is choppy, unusable.
I've tried everything (Lilu / NvidiaGraphicsFixup...), but I know it's still too fresh in my head and it's likely I'm not doing things right.

I don't know what to do. Reverting to the integrated 530 graphics doesn't work, I'm stuck on a black screen with a blinking cursor. And even then, I didn't get a GTX just to use integrated graphics...
Should I sell the GTX and get an AMD card for better support ? I intend to use Premiere and DaVinci Resolve, will I lose anything going this route ? Why did I go the Nvidia route in the first place ?? I don't remember.

Audio is a mess too. First I had no audio. Then I don't know what I did (multibeast or something like that) but I got all the onboard inputs and outputs. And now after trying other EFI settings I lost all inputs/outputs. I'm going to redo an install to try and make things cleaner.

Please help ! I love building stuff and tinkering with settings, but right now I'm just so frustrated and I've got work to do on this computer :(

Last edited:
So the method I followed for that first install is in this youtube video (the video ID is Azd1GxgBYW4, can't put the link as it's treated as SPAM). I stopped when the OS wouldn't boot and proceeded to find solutions on other websites.

I formatted everything and this time I followed that method (in French, sorry)
https://www.mac4ever.com/dossiers/1...017-thunderbolt-3-geforce-1080ti-et-kaby-lake

I didn't get the boot issue this time. Still no way to get hardware acceleration. The web drivers are checked in the menu bar but everything is slow as hell and I get artifacts (horizontal lines during fades, blotches behind the mouse pointer...)
Graphics card is still "Display 7MB".
No audio either.

I'm about to update to 10.12.6 on this second install and see if I get a black screen or if I manage to make the Nvidia web drivers work...

Oh well. After the 10.12.6 Sierra update and installation of the latest Nvidia Web Drivers, hardware acceleration is finally here. I'm a happy man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back