Contribute
Register

[Solved] Following Guide Clover Does Not See High Sierra Installer On Same USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
same problem here, i'm wondering if this has something to do with either the most recent build of Clover or the 10.13.2 installer. I've followed all instructions re: bios and usb installer to the letter.

OK Thanks for all the helps guys! I've not got there totally - I can't get into clover on the HDD but I've managed to at least get to the point where High Sierra is installed and I can boot into it via the install USB (albeit with about a 20% success rate).

So, taking on board the posts in the links and erman1337 and BreBo's comments, I tried a whole bunch of stuff but this is the only thing so far that has got me as far as actually installing High Sierra:

1) Make a Sierra (Not high sierra) install USB (found from a friend that the conditions that meant I could only get a stub installer were that the OS was pre-sierra or not enough space. Since I'm using a blank 2TB drive I assumed it was the old OS issue. This may not work for everyone but it did for me.). For this I used the following link on my old Mavericks installation and uniBeast7. I used UEFI not legacy: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?ls=1&mt=12

2) Installed Sierra. Configured With MultiBeast (on my mobo needed the Mausi Ethernet kext).

3) Downloaded the High Sierra installer from the AppStore (wonder of wonders this actually gave me the full file not the stub, I'm assuming because it's from Sierra rather than older.)

4) Used UniBeast 8 to create an install usb and manually removed apfs.efi from /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/
(this is the only way I could get it to boot)

5) Installed without the apfs conversion as per the guide.

6) Configured with Multibeast using: UEFI boot, 3rd Party SATA, Mausi Ethernet (newest), 3rd Party USB3, Clover UEFI, Nvidia graphics fixup, as MacPro 6,1

7) Installed relevant nVidia web drivers.

This has given me an installation of High Sierra which seems to work (ish) with the notable exception so far that sleep mode causes a crash but I've just disabled sleep as I never use it anyway and it gets in the way of my normal work in any case.

My main problem now is booting.

I cannot boot directly to the HDD clover install (have also updated clover, same issues), with UEFI my bios tries to boot it but just asks me to install bootable media, and with legacy it opens the grey and blue boot manager which cannot see anything bootable either.

I can boot into the installation, but only via clover (4297) on the install usb, with the flags (after nVidia install) of nvda_drv=1 (nv_disable=1 before graphics driver install) and -v (so I can tell if it's crashed or not).

This boot is however, pretty iffy. I can get it to boot about 20% of the time on average but sometimes that's a couple of consecutive boots fine and then it might fail 10 times in a row, but I'd say a mean success of about 20%.

The way it fails is, as soon as it tries to load, if I see 'does printf work??' I know it's crashed and I need to hard reset. If instead of this I see '++++++++++++++'...etc I know it will boot fine. It seems I have a slightly better chance of a good boot after the system has been fully off for over 15 sec, but this is by no means always the case and doesn't guarantee a successful boot.

Hopefully this might help someone in the same predicament out in terms of actually getting High Sierra installed.

Regarding my further boot issues, should I just leave this on here or start another thread for that?

Thanks!

Rupert

i got the whole problem sorted by simply using a different 5.2gb mac 10.13.2 installer.

Right, here's an update.

I've tried every configuration of Legacy and EFI setups for clover and my best result was with a fresh High Sierra install followed by MultiBeast (Legacy), followed by clearing and making sure was Fat32 filesystem on EFI partition, then installed the latest clover (Legacy and EFI tried both with the same result). Doing this I managed to get past Boot0af, Boot0: done and Boot1 errors that I had been getting and managed to get a flashing cursor, but couldn't get further than that.

As an aside I'm still at bit of a loss as to why even if I literally copy the EFI and boot from a USB that works to the HDD it can't boot from it but there we go, despite setting up a few hackintoshes over the last few years I am still basically a newb to put it mildly.

However, given my lack of success with Clover I decided to take a punt on Enoch. I cleared the EFI partition and deleted boot and EFI from the OS drive first. Then I installed Enoch 2905 with the options:

Install Chameleon boot loader in chosen partition (this seems to basically be the legacy option).
Verbose boot flag
nvda_drv=1 boot flag
dart=0 boot flag

This gave me for the first time the ability to actually see the HDD installation on a boot loader that isn't on a USB. It did however KP rather a lot when I tried to boot.

I then tried to reinstall with the above but also adding KernelBoot_kexts, which gave me an Installation Failed error but I think it actually did it as the Extra folder now has kernel.plist in it.

I then added an Extensions folder in Extra, and added the kexts from my Clover install usb (created with Unibeast 8), which are: AtherosE2200Ethernet, FakeSMC, IntelMausiEthernet, NullCPUPowerManagement, RealtekRTL8111, USBInjectAll

I rebooted and now I can actually boot into the proper installation!

Unfortunately however, for some reason, despite the nvda_drv=1 boot flag, I cannot boot with Nvidia drivers (except via the USB as before).

I realise that there is no support for Enoch on this forum, but if anyone happens to know how this might be remedied that would be awesome (or could advise on the best place to ask). Also I thought it would be best to say how I actually managed to get some kind of boot working in case it helps someone else.

I've also finally solved the last issue for me - graphics, by re-running the Enoch installer but checking the NVRAM module (again it says installation failed but actually worked), then running 'sudo nvram nvda_drv=1', rebooting, manually setting to Nvidia web driver and rebooting again, as per Frank Nitty's awesome instructions at: www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/317004-solved-macos-only-recognizes-default-graphics-driver-on-restart-after-installingenabling-nvidia-web-drivers/

Hope that helps anyone with the same issues I've had!

I tried making the High Sierra USB installer following the latest UniBeast guide, and it seems like it all went well. But when I try to boot the USB installer, Clover doesn't ever start up - my computer looks for another drive to boot. I tried making the installer three times, re-downloaded the High Sierra installer, nothing has worked for me.

Attachments

• UniBeast_log.txt
    39.7 KB · Views: 240
Same Problem here been working on this all day and still going...... no usb MacOS installer

@msj103, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

See UniBeast 8.2 and macOS 10.13.4 Workaround

There is also a fix in Clover r4420
r4420 - cleanup and fix 10.13.4 USB installer issue and OS version detection issue
See https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/commit_browser

You can download automated daily Clover builds from https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder/releases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back