Contribute
Register

[Solved] Final install from Sierra doesn't recognize wifi (H170N)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can get Power line networking adapters [TP-Link AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps (TL-PA4010KIT)] you can avoid a long Ethernet cable. If you have a wall socket next to your Modemcum Router and one near your PC location all that needs wil be 2 short Ethernet cables ( often 1 comes with the kit)
Hope you will be able to fix the problem soon .Bye

If you can get Power line networking adapters [TP-Link AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps (TL-PA4010KIT)] you can avoid a long Ethernet cable. If you have a wall socket next to your Modemcum Router and one near your PC location all that needs wil be 2 short Ethernet cables ( often 1 comes with the kit)
Oh, great idea, thanks. I've googled it. I have outlets, so that's no problem. I'm fingers crossed that I can find the
TL-WDN4800, but this could be a great backup option. Thanks again!

Last edited:
  1. Mount EFI of your System disk using CCV
  2. Launch terminal and drag and drop Audio Clover Alc-120 cmd to the Terminal
  3. Enter Password on prompt
  4. Answer questions (y/n) [ All answers as "yes" should work]
  5. Terminal/Shell/Export Text As...
  6. Restart
  7. Check sound in System Preferences as you have done before.”
So I'm back with an ethernet cable and now have internet, but I have not been able to get anywhere with dragging the command file. It makes me enter password, then yes, then gives some data and goes back to password again and the whole thing goes back around again, I did it all 5 times now and no sound. It has accepted passwords at times and refused correctly entered passwords at times. Feels kinda groundhog dayish. Any ideas what to try next?

Attachments

• IMG_7556.JPG
    IMG_7556.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 83
So I'm back with an ethernet cable and now have internet, but I have not been able to get anywhere with dragging the command file. It makes me enter password, then yes, then gives some data and goes back to password again and the whole thing goes back around again, I did it all 5 times now and no sound. It has accepted passwords at times and refused correctly entered passwords at times. Feels kinda groundhog dayish. Any ideas what to try next?
Good, that finally you can directly download software to this Computer:)
I don't know why the cmd acts like Punxsutawney Phil:lol:
May be you should get a fresh copy of the software downloaded from https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/blob/master/audio_cloverALC-120.command.zip and try again.

Last edited:
Good, that finally you can directly download software to this Computer:)
I don't know why the cmd acts like Punxsutawney Phil:lol:
May be you should get a fresh copy of the software downloaded from https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/blob/master/audio_cloverALC-120.command.zip and try again.

Good idea! And that's exactly what worked. The new copy directly from the Hackintosh didn't even let me unzip and drag the unpacked file; rather, when I tried, it directly opened the terminal and I went through the process. I rebooted and alas, the sound options are no longer grayed out and I do have input options . . . Also, I can listen to audio through headphones now (I don't have speakers). I took a pic of the Terminal result and can show if you want, but success is success. And we have arrived at that point (of course the wifi card is still to come but a few weeks away). Thank you thank you thank you.

Hmmmmm, what else do I need to do? Am I ready for Migration Assistant?

One question that scares the holy hell out of me . . . . my App Store wants to update Sierra to version 12.6.1 . . . should I do it or not?

Please do NOT forget that the AppleHDA installed must be clean and unmodified
Terminal command to check AppleHDA integrity. The command should print nothing.
Code:
codesign --verify /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
Hi BreBo, thanks for your comment. Unfortunately this is my first Hackintosh and I have no prior experience with "under the hood" matters, so can you tell me what Apple HDA (and its integrity) is and how to do the terminal command for it? And how to install and make it clean and unmodified and what that means? Thanks again.

Good idea! And that's exactly what worked. The new copy directly from the Hackintosh didn't even let me unzip and drag the unpacked file; rather, when I tried, it directly opened the terminal and I went through the process. I rebooted and alas, the sound options are no longer grayed out and I do have input options . . . Also, I can listen to audio through headphones now (I don't have speakers). I took a pic of the Terminal result and can show if you want, but success is success. And we have arrived at that point (of course the wifi card is still to come but a few weeks away). Thank you thank you thank you.

Hmmmmm, what else do I need to do? Am I ready for Migration Assistant?

One question that scares the holy hell out of me . . . . my App Store wants to update Sierra to version 12.6.1 . . . should I do it or not?
Glad you could finally fix the Audio.:) Every time I raised the question of getting the network ready to access the Internet, you wanted the sound first! If you read all the troubleshoot you will notice my strong advice to get a new Wifi card or a long Ethernet cable or Power Ethernet for your installed Ethernet adapter, way back in March but your priority was always the missing audio to be fixed like putting the cart before the horse!
Finally, it was the 'long Ethernet cable' ( you were very hesitant to get) that finally pulled the Sound out of the Internet for you:).

Apple has not released any macOSSierra 10.12.6 for the Public yet, [I am running that Beta for the Developers]You may be referring to iTunes 12.6.1. and possibly 10.12.5 of macOS Siera as a combo update. ******If you want to go any higher than 10.12.3 as an update. you will need to update Clover EFI first. Otherwise the Computer updated to 10.12.4 (or 5) won't boot****. If I were you, I will wait till I get the WiFi Installed and working before I do anything.

What happened to your Windows 10 System disk?

If you plan to connect that , please make sure Mac with its CLOVER should be the First boot device in BIOS Boot Priority to prevent Windows Bootloader messing up Clover and making Mac unbootable.

Use of Migration Assistant to get your files from another system is better delayed until your dual boot system is quite stable and functioning well.

The most important thing in my opinion is to go through the entire troubleshoot to find what steps lead to the problems, how each was fixed and what should be done in the first place to prevent problems you had encountered . The last one is your individualized Installation Guide for this particular set of hardware for MacOsSierra and Windows 10 dual boot.
If you don't do a post install analysis like that, you will soon end up coming here for help for the same issues!

Enjoy your new Hackintosh.

Please mark the thread as SOLVED if you have no further questions on this installation.

Glad you could finally fix the Audio.:) Every time I raised the question of getting the network ready to access the Internet, you wanted the sound first! If you read all the troubleshoot you will notice my strong advice to get a new Wifi card or a long Ethernet cable or Power Ethernet for your installed Ethernet adapter, way back in March but your priority was always the missing audio to be fixed like putting the cart before the horse!
Finally, it was the 'long Ethernet cable' ( you were very hesitant to get) that finally pulled the Sound out of the Internet for you:).

Apple has not released any macOSSierra 10.12.6 for the Public yet, [I am running that Beta for the Developers]You may be referring to iTunes 12.6.1. and possibly 10.12.5 of macOS Siera as a combo update. ******If you want to go any higher than 10.12.3 as an update. you will need to update Clover EFI first. Otherwise the Computer updated to 10.12.4 (or 5) won't boot****. If I were you, I will wait till I get the WiFi Installed and working before I do anything.

What happened to your Windows 10 System disk?

If you plan to connect that , please make sure Mac with its CLOVER should be the First boot device in BIOS Boot Priority to prevent Windows Bootloader messing up Clover and making Mac unbootable.

Use of Migration Assistant to get your files from another system is better delayed until your dual boot system is quite stable and functioning well.

The most important thing in my opinion is to go through the entire troubleshoot to find what steps lead to the problems, how each was fixed and what should be done in the first place to prevent problems you had encountered . The last one is your individualized Installation Guide for this particular set of hardware for MacOsSierra and Windows 10 dual boot.
If you don't do a post install analysis like that, you will soon end up coming here for help for the same issues!

Enjoy your new Hackintosh.

Please mark the thread as SOLVED if you have no further questions on this installation.
First of all . . . thank you once again, cmn699. You are not only a massive help to me, but I've observed your work around here and you are a huge asset to the Hackintosh community, of which I plan a part of for a very long time.

Looks like you already beat me to marking the thread as solved (or a mod) but I plan to review this thread and adjust the title to make it more accurate and relevant for those who might search for help with similar situations.

Yes I wanted audio first but only because of my location outside of the US, which makes it difficult to get the right wifi card (ordering on Amazon requires using 3rd party services, which adds to the cost and time), and though I concede that I now regret not just breaking down and getting the ethernet sooner, I clearly had a bug up my butt about waiting for wifi and not getting an ethernet cable that would be used only for a month (I'm planning to move to another international location, probably not to return here, and there is no room in my bag for the long cable, so I'll toss the cable).

I mis-typed, but I was actually intending to refer to Mac 10.12.5, yes the combo update. My Hackintosh is running 10.12.3, installed in March, and App Store wants me to install the update. I have fear about doing that. I will follow your advice for now and not do anything until I have wifi working . . . so what do you do about that annoying little red "1" flag on top of the App Store icon in the dock? :mrgreen: It bothers me to see it so I might have to remove it from the dock.

My Windows 10 system disk is alive and well and gathering dust, lol. I have a USB external DVD drive though, and ready to begin making this a dual boot.

"please make sure Mac with its CLOVER should be the First boot device in BIOS Boot Priority to prevent Windows Bootloader messing up Clover and making Mac unbootable."

<gulp> I just tried to go into BIOS to look for how to do this (can you tell me how I set it in Boot Priorities?) but I frequently get frozen on BIOS Features. Once I get this set for Clover as Boot Option #1, what do I make as #2? I can't select "Sierra." It's always [UEFI: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Partition 1]. Ideas?

Should I continue in this topic or make a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back