Contribute
Register

[Solved] Final install from Sierra doesn't recognize wifi (H170N)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha! Isn't that the truth? Well, I guess we did get it rolling fine on Sierra some time ago, but it took until I finally broke down and got the ethernet cable a few weeks ago that we finally arrived at usable sound, and I was able to really use this computer. Yes it's been a slow slog. But I appreciate very much your patience.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Force shut down, start button on my machine, holding DEL during boot, then select F12.
2. I was given the black box "Please seclect boot device" (screen image attached) and my Sierra SSD is the first boot device.
3. Booted into Mac as normal and everything was where I left it. Hooray! No re-do.
4. Did a restart to see if it would catch Clover as before but it did not. Same "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" message.

So . . . I am going through this again to try to follow you next instructions. From the "Please select boot device" box which appears after selecting F12, my Sierra SSD is first, there is the possibility of "Enter Setup." That leads me to the BIOS. So I guess my question is:

1. Where do I check to see if there is a possibility to select and "DISABLE any other devices" in that list? I don't see it in the box that follows F12 (image attachd). Just a choice of which volume (many of which are copies of the same), and "Enter Setup."

So without seeing that option, I can not make it so that Sierra is the only thing in that list.

Advice from here? Thanks!

FYI: There will be nothing yet labeled Windows. I haven't installed anything and can't find the Windows disk.

Looks like You are trying to establish a new Guinness World Record for the longest Sierra installation:)

• Kidding aside, for the current boot screen error of "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key", I suggest you to Force reboot from that screen and as computer reboots into a new screen, press Del key and ENTER the BIOS Setup.
  • Make sure all your boot options are OK for macOS Sierra booting.
  • Make sure your Sierra SSD is the FIRST Boot Device. , if there is a possibility to select and "DISABLE: any other devices in that list, including items like "MacOSX" , "Windows" etc . In short, UEFI Sierra SSD must be the only disk in that list.
  • Save and Exit to boot
  • Post with screen shot for problems.

Attachments

• IMG_7807.jpg
    IMG_7807.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 71
Ha! Isn't that the truth? Well, I guess we did get it rolling fine on Sierra some time ago, but it took until I finally broke down and got the ethernet cable a few weeks ago that we finally arrived at usable sound, and I was able to really use this computer. Yes it's been a slow slog. But I appreciate very much your patience.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Force shut down, start button on my machine, holding DEL during boot, then select F12.
2. I was given the black box "Please seclect boot device" (screen image attached) and my Sierra SSD is the first boot device.
3. Booted into Mac as normal and everything was where I left it. Hooray! No re-do.
4. Did a restart to see if it would catch Clover as before but it did not. Same "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" message.

So . . . I am going through this again to try to follow you next instructions. From the "Please select boot device" box which appears after selecting F12, my Sierra SSD is first, there is the possibility of "Enter Setup." That leads me to the BIOS. So I guess my question is:

1. Where do I check to see if there is a possibility to select and "DISABLE any other devices" in that list? I don't see it in the box that follows F12 (image attachd). Just a choice of which volume (many of which are copies of the same), and "Enter Setup."

So without seeing that option, I can not make it so that Sierra is the only thing in that list.

Advice from here? Thanks!

FYI: There will be nothing yet labeled Windows. I haven't installed anything and can't find the Windows disk.

• I noted your uploaded image which is the "Boot menu screen" acquired by pressing "F-12" key during boot.
  • My suggestion was first to press Del key>Access BIOS Setup (> BIOS Features>Boot Option Priorities)
    • to make sure your Sierra System disk "Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB" was made #1 in boot menu and
    • DISABLE if you can, any other disks in the list there.
      • If you had uploaded your "BIOS Setup">"BIOS Features">"Boot Option Priorities" screen image I might have been able to see how the disks are displayed there in the boot sequence list.
        • I am uploading an image of your "BIOS>BIOS Features>Boot Option Priorities" screen to show where you might be able to DISABLE your TOSHIBA HDWE140 by just Dbl-clicking and from the popup window, click on "DISABLE" option that might be listed.
      • An image of SATA Ports from your MoBo manual is uploaded as a composite image side by side with the F-12 boot menu screen you had uploaded to show how you should connect your existing 2 hard disks on the MoBo's SATA Ports -See annotated texts and arrows]
        • From your uploaded "F12 screen shot" I can only assume what could have been in BIOS Boot Sequence.
      • In F-12 Boot screen , you have no way of deleting any , but can select the one you want to start the boot.
      • The only place you can Disable a boot entry is in the BIOS Features>Boot Option Priorities list
        • Clover has the 'habit' of showing multiple copies of the same disk or "phantom disks" causing confusion and that will also show up in F-12 Boot menu.
        • You may be able to eliminate some of them using the Shell Command Prompt at Clover Boot Manager screen's SHELL Prompt (>) [ the First option at the bottom row ].
          • First, list all the boot disks (both the real and the Bogus) by typing and entering at the Shell>"bcfg boot dump" [no quotes when typing] and then
          • Remove the Bogus disks by finding their number from the "output of the dump command" and typing and entering at shell>"bcfg boot rm 05" [ 05 is just an example of an "Option" number listed in the command output].
          • Once you remove the obvious "Bogus disks" which shows a "DevPath-PCIRoot" prefix where as REAL DISKS show "DevPath_HD" prefix, run the bcfg boot dump command again to make sure no other Bogus entries are still there.
          • Once all Bogus disks are removed, you can type "EXIT: command to go back to Clover Boot Manager screen to select the disk you want to boot.

Attachments

• 1.GA-H170N_BIOS_BIOS Features.png
    1.GA-H170N_BIOS_BIOS Features.png
    211.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 2.SATA Ports on MoBo and F12 Boot menu.png
    2.SATA Ports on MoBo and F12 Boot menu.png
    532.7 KB · Views: 109
  • I noted your uploaded image which is the "Boot menu screen" acquired by pressing "F-12" key during boot.
  • My suggestion was first to press Del key>Access BIOS Setup (> BIOS Features>Boot Option Priorities)
    • to make sure your Sierra System disk "Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB" was made #1 in boot menu and
Thank you very much for your reply. Thing is . . . I could not get to the BIOS any other way than by hitting F12, then boot menu then Setup. Del key while booting, then when the Gigabyte option screen came on, if I kept holding or re-pressed the DEL key would not load BIOS. Even now it doesn't.

For what it's worth, when I was able to get to BIOS after F12, it did show the Sierra disk (Samsung SSD 850 EVO) as #1 in the boot menu. That part is fine.

But bad news, it's actually worse today. I now can not get the BIOS at all. I can't even get to the boot menu screen by pressing F12 anymoe, as I could yesterday, and also I can't select Access BIOS setup. After literally more than a dozen tries, no matter what I do after holding the delete key while booting, I can only get that same "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" message.

Before I proceed with the rest of your instructions, have you any suggestion how I can now get back to BIOS so I can take a picture to show you the setup?

)ps: I didn't remove any cables from my mobo when disconnecting; just removed the one cable from the SSD and plugged it back into the same port.)

Thank you very much for your reply. Thing is . . . I could not get to the BIOS any other way than by hitting F12, then boot menu then Setup. Del key while booting, then when the Gigabyte option screen came on, if I kept holding or re-pressed the DEL key would not load BIOS. Even now it doesn't.

For what it's worth, when I was able to get to BIOS after F12, it did show the Sierra disk (Samsung SSD 850 EVO) as #1 in the boot menu. That part is fine.

But bad news, it's actually worse today. I now can not get the BIOS at all. I can't even get to the boot menu screen by pressing F12 anymoe, as I could yesterday, and also I can't select Access BIOS setup. After literally more than a dozen tries, no matter what I do after holding the delete key while booting, I can only get that same "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" message.

Before I proceed with the rest of your instructions, have you any suggestion how I can now get back to BIOS so I can take a picture to show you the setup?

)ps: I didn't remove any cables from my mobo when disconnecting; just removed the one cable from the SSD and plugged it back into the same port.)

I did not understand your "ps" without any context about removing cables or reconnecting!

Since you cannot use the Del key to access BIOS Setup, I suggest you to do the
"Reset CMOS" as described in detail with sketch of your MoBO CMOS Pins on #113 of this long troubleshoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back